iTim

Debutant
Jul 17, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
MUFC
Please ignore the fact that I am a West Coast supporter - but surely the umpire who didn't decide to review whether Jack Darling's "non"-goal was touched or not made a serious error in judgement. It's irrelevant to this argument whether it was touched or not but surely it was worth taking the time to go to the review.

mike_

All Australian
Feb 28, 2007
Marty Biron's Five Hole
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
New York Rangers, New York Knicks
Please ignore the fact that I am a West Coast supporter - but surely the umpire who didn't decide to review whether Jack Darling's "non"-goal was touched or not made a serious error in judgement. It's irrelevant to this argument whether it was touched or not but surely it was worth taking the time to go to the review.

No need to go to the video review when the goal umpire has a perfect vantage point and it's clear as day.

Right call, move on.

Morris Major

Premium Gold
Apr 28, 2008
Toorak
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Have you been watching footy this year at all?

They only review when there's uncertainty, so obviously the goal ump was 100% sure it was touched. Same as pretty much every other review decision so far

IanW

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
#Exers
This kind of crap is why you need to have the umpires on the field make the decision, and then get on with the game.

There will always be one more round of reviews, one more check to get it right, one more set of supporters whining about the review getting it wrong.

blydog01

Debutant
Aug 30, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne

I agree. Isn't that what the system is in place for, to review decisions that are very close. Same as last night in the Melbourne game there was one that was veryyyy close, not saying it was a goal but would have liked it to be reviewed.

Sep 29, 2008
Between the lines.
AFL Club
West Coast
So they are going to review clearly touched decisions now? Absolutely no reason to review something he is completely sure about and is obvious.
It wasn't clearly touched, in fact replayed it looks like it clearly wasn't touched.

I don't begrudge Brissy the win, games over now. Played with a lot of heart, so congrats to them.

But this is exactly what the review was bought in for, very embarrassing if it was actually a goal.

Gizza

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Have you been watching footy this year at all?

They only review when there's uncertainty, so obviously the goal ump was 100% sure it was touched. Same as pretty much every other review decision so far

Actually, most of the ones I've seen it used for weren't uncertain at all.

madfx

All Australian
Apr 7, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Eagles were s**t today and deserved to lose, but that should have been the great escape. No way was it touched. Bad calls happen and you have to accept them, but not when there's a ****ing system in place to make sure that they don't.

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It's a bit hard to see with the angle they showed (and no replay was shown) but the umpire seemed quite sure about it, looked like he was asked if he was sure too, and nodded. Can't say I saw a touch though.

The umpires must have been told to use it less, because last night it wasn't used when that Melbourne shot at goal looked through.

policegetthatman

Club Legend
Suspended
Feb 1, 2011
WA
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ump seemed certain. Pretty laughable to see eagle fans being armchair experts after re winding the footage.

Gizza

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I can't believe they didn't even show a replay. Channel 7 which is known for interrupting live play with replays decide not show one when I actually want to see it.

Back