Delisted Hugh Goddard

Remove this Banner Ad

That would be brilliant if he does go above 197cm, he sure did look tall the other night, noticeably taller than Paddy-Mac, for instance. He's got a good leap, too and I really liked his side-step at the champs. Won't be surprised if we see some of him next season.

I just hope supporters don't expect too much from either HJ or PM next season. We all know it takes longer for big blokes and we are dealing with the now now now generation. Big tall blokes take longer - look at Tom Boyd. Very different proposition to mids like Dunstan and Wines and to a lesser extent Billings. It'll probably depend on injuries and form of other players (Lee, White, Bruce, Delaney, Fisher, Hickey, Longer in particular) as to how many games they get.

It'll certainly make going to Sandy games that much more interesting. I got to about 3 games last year, (as well as watching all the televised games) and will try to up that to 5 or 6 if I can...

I just hope supporters don't expect too much from either HJ or PM next season. We all know it takes longer for big blokes and we are dealing with the now now now generation. Big tall blokes take longer - look at Tom Boyd. Very different proposition to mids like Dunstan and Wines and to a lesser extent Billings. It'll probably depend on injuries and form of other players (Lee, White, Bruce, Delaney, Fisher, Hickey, Longer in particular) as to how many games they get.

It'll certainly make going to Sandy games that much more interesting. I got to about 3 games last year, (as well as watching all the televised games) and will try to up that to 5 or 6 if I can...
Is that a freudian slip there mate, whats your mind on!:D

Boekhorst wouldve been there at 28 for sure. The issue then is they miss on Rainbow because he doesnt make it to 60.

Even still, Boekhorst over Laverde and Goddard is just crazy...

Its different for the Hawks when they took Isaac Smith. They had already won a flag and he was topping off a mini rebuild.

Carlton are miles away. They are yet to bottom out on this list and they are only in for more time at the bottom.

Once Judd retires in 12 months their midfield will be close to the worst in the comp. Murphy, Gibbs and then nothing that will get them close to top 4 anytime soon.

Boekhorst might be ready to play from round one but so are Laverde and Goddard. Tom Lamb is another who is 3 years younger and could also provide run and carry off the wing.

In fact I would say those three are more AFL ready given their size. Boekhorst is the same weight as Jack Lonie! :confused:

He will be a handy player but given the talent available you have to question their thinking.

The only explanation I can come up with is that they genuinely think that they can make finals next year (after dumping their #2 KPF in Waite, #1 small forward in Garlett and #3 inside mid in McLean) and that Boekhorst will slot straight into the 22.

If that's the case then I hope everyone at Carlton keeps their job. If they get sacked the club might hire someone who has a clue!

Boekhorst wouldve been there at 28 for sure. The issue then is they miss on Rainbow because he doesnt make it to 60.

Its different for the Hawks when they took Isaac Smith. They had already won a flag and he was topping off a mini rebuild.

Carlton are miles away. They are yet to bottom out on this list and they are only in for more time at the bottom.

Once Judd retires in 12 months their midfield will be close to the worst in the comp. Murphy, Gibbs and then nothing that will get them close to top 4 anytime soon.

Boekhorst might be ready to play from round one but so are Laverde and Goddard. Tom Lamb is another who is 3 years younger and could also provide run and carry off the wing.

In fact I would say those three are more AFL ready given their size. Boekhorst is the same weight as Jack Lonie! :confused:

He will be a handy player but given the talent available you have to question their thinking.

The only explanation I can come up with is that they genuinely think that they can make finals next year (after dumping their #2 KPF in Waite, #1 small forward in Garlett and #3 inside mid in McLean) and that Boekhorst will slot straight into the 22.

If that's the case then I hope everyone at Carlton keeps their job. If they get sacked the club might hire someone who has a clue!
Carlton's list is in a horrendous position, they are further away from a premiership then Melbourne & us. They just haven't accepted it yet.

Carlton's list is in a horrendous position, they are further away from a premiership then Melbourne & us. They just haven't accepted it yet.

Mick Malthouse admitted it this year, then changed his mind. Gibbs is only coming good now, Murphy is soft. We're talking room temperature butter soft! and Menzel might be the only shining light performing out of their youngsters. Actually Buckley too, although he was injured a bit this year. Buckley and Menzel, that's all they've got.

I wonder what they see in him.
His 2014 season was OK, but 15 to 30 disposals at WAFL level won't necessarily translate. Looking at his stats he has obviously improved a bit over the last couple of seasons.

Yeah, and it's just like Carlton to overestimate where they are at with their list. Another indication that the higher-ups at Carlton refuse to admit they're in desperate need of a full rebuild.

Indeed, I'm not expecting much at all from either of them next year, but like I said, it wouldn't surprise me if we do at least get to see a glimpse of Hugh in the seniors, as he is someone who has been preparing for senior AFL footy for a long time now (he even played a couple of TAC Cup games in 2012!) and is already 94kg. I expect him to be ready to play ahead of Sam Durdin, for instance, all things being equal and is the type that I think will be ready to hold down a KPD spot relatively young.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been married 20 yrs. Ive given up on expecting that:p

Well done guys on a great pickup.

If Paddy Ryder didn't fall into Ports lap and we still had our 1st round pick (Pick 17) I would have definitely went for Goddard.

I can just see the quality players falling into each place. If you can keep your young talent and maybe catch a big fish as a free agent, in a couple of years this squad could really do some damage.

If Paddy Ryder didn't fall into Ports lap and we still had our 1st round pick (Pick 17) I would have definitely went for Goddard.

I can just see the quality players falling into each place. If you can keep your young talent and maybe catch a big fish as a free agent, in a couple of years this squad could really do some damage.
Cheers. Lets just hope your flag next year will soften the blow of missing out on Goddard :p

No Ross, you cannot have Goddard.

He is still growing also, is now 196.9 so really 197cm, could end up 200, which would be amazing. Also loved Shifters comment, said it was like the Hawks getting Buddy and Roughy. Shifter rated Goddard 4th best player in the draft.
Also interesting to note Champion data rated Jack Lonie the 17th best player in the draft, purely based on his stats, not personal evaluation.

love it!!! did you catch the 3aw commentary...if not make sure you check it out. absolute gold

What are you talking about?

Rising star 2015 and 2016 respectively is the minimum I am looking at :D

"It'll certainly make going to Sandy games that much more interesting. I got to about 3 games last year, (as well as watching all the televised games) and will try to up that to 5 or 6 if I can..."

The ABC are pulling the plug on VFL next year - does anybody know whether its 7 or Foxtel next year?

"It'll certainly make going to Sandy games that much more interesting. I got to about 3 games last year, (as well as watching all the televised games) and will try to up that to 5 or 6 if I can..."

The ABC are pulling the plug on VFL next year - does anybody know whether its 7 or Foxtel next year?
It's on 7...

He is still growing also, is now 196.9 so really 197cm, could end up 200, which would be amazing. Also loved Shifters comment, said it was like the Hawks getting Buddy and Roughy. Shifter rated Goddard 4th best player in the draft.
Also interesting to note Champion data rated Jack Lonie the 17th best player in the draft, purely based on his stats, not personal evaluation.

Any idea where they had McKenzie ranked?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back