Goddard labels other clubs 'unethical'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2013
ACT
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is Brendan right in this situation?

And does it bring into question his moral compass?

Lastly, when getting his haircut, does he take in a picture of a 1939 German infantryman and say; "just like this please Giovanni"

Essendon's star midfielder Brendon Goddard has branded rival clubs as unethical for inviting Bombers' players to break their contracts under a duty-of-care clause.

Tall forward Jake Carlisle, key defender Michael Hurley and talented ruck/forward Patrick Ryder are all reportedly attracting interest from rival clubs, as speculation mounts Ryder may join Brisbane.

Essendon's players have the option to attempt to get out of their existing contracts by trying to prove the club failed in its duty of care during the 2012 supplements program.

"It's a little bit unethical," Goddard told Seven's AFL Game Day on Sunday."We are vulnerable because of the current circumstances. But these clubs poaching our players and asking them to leave.

"Paddy, Hurls and Jake's names have been mentioned but these guys love the footy club.

"They started there and I think they intend staying.

"These clubs are coming out, there's almost like the unwritten rules, unethical that they are coming out dangling these baits in front of the guys when they're in a very vulnerable state.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-unethical-20140914-10gpk1.html#ixzz3DG1C3XFx

Last edited:

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
"These clubs are coming out, there's almost like the unwritten rules, unethical that they are coming out dangling these baits in front of the guys when they're in a very vulnerable state.

I don't see it as much different to offering increased contracts to players at s**t teams. Players unhappy at their club, disillusioned, and you come in and offer them more money, more responsibility at some heralded club that could create history...

s**t happens, if the players leave then either 1) they must be unhappy enough to leave or 2) the contracts must be good enough at other clubs...

It's AFL, not Auskick, clubs can better themselves at the detriment of other clubs, you don't win premierships by being nice and saying oh no the Bombers players are going through a tough time we better not break up their list full of quality young players...

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
It is unethical.

I can understand a player mabey wanting out but to actually have rival clubs dangle lots of $$$ and telling that player to use the drug get out clause is disrespectful especially if that player is happy and want's to go no where.

:drunk:

So the player says "no I'm happy" and the offer is withdrawn and nothing comes of it.

How is that a big ******* deal?

morgoth

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2002
Beaumaris
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
It is unethical.

I can understand a player mabey wanting out but to actually have rival clubs dangle lots of $$$ and telling that player to use the drug get out clause is disrespectful especially if that player is happy and want's to go no where.

Not unethical, ruthless. Essendon as a club are not well liked by the other AFL clubs so no one really gives a s**t about having a crack at their players.

I guess these clubs are just adopting a 'whatever it takes' approach to getting their man.

If you have not injected your players with unknown substances it would not be a problem would it. Essendon supporters keep over-looking the fact that all of the problems they face are purely of their own making, yet Hird remains with an extended contract.

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
Did Brundan think it was unethical to be negotiating with Essendon while still at St Kilda, maybe Brendan is thinking about himself here and knows if players up and go his chance of success ( the reason he left the saints , so he says ) is going to be drifting further and further away, grow up Goddard, it's as if your turned into a king kong sook since you landed at Essendon, chose the wrong club did you.

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
Unethical is a stretch.

It's circumventing the current contracts, which is a bit unsporting, but it's an extraordinary situation. Other clubs are saying "it's pretty nice over here, if we can get you out of that joint do you want to come over here?" That's been happening forever.

The more interesting part is that Goddard commenting publicly suggests this out-clause is being pursued quite heavily, rather than it being a single journo's musings.

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Not unethical, ruthless. Essendon as a club are not well liked by the other AFL clubs so no one really gives a s**t about having a crack at their players.

I guess these clubs are just adopting a 'whatever it takes' approach to getting their man.

Hawthorn, Sydney, Brisbane are all well-liked clubs imo (from other AFL clubs). At the very least, they are respected.

Yet each club has it's players regularly offered bigger and better contracts elsewhere.

It's not about 'not liking Essendon' or 'EFC players are vulnerable, let's force them into signing', it's 'oh EFC have a lot of very promising players, I wonder if we can wrangle one away considering we have the salary cap space and the past 2-3 years of strong media attention'.

Also, this clause is more of a club thing saying to EFC "look we've offered player A this much above their current contract and they are likely to want to accept, you can either 1) be stubborn and have a player who doesn't want to be there for his last year/2 years of the contract 2) let them go for unders say pick 15 or 3) go through a long drawn-out process where one of your players claims their contract was broken due to unethical actions and so you can go to court and fight this in a damaging PR campaign or you can accept 2)"

It's not 'unethical', that's just whinging about nothing. If EFC are confident with their morale and contracts, then it shouldn't matter.

Jun 23, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
La Lakers
If poaching players from other clubs is unethical, then surely injecting your players with lots of supplements and substances without keeping records is also unethical? We don't know the full facts of this whole saga but we know it's worse than trying to sign players from other clubs which all clubs do.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

If you have not injected your players with unknown substances it would not be a problem would it. Essendon supporters keep over-looking the fact that all of the problems they face are purely of their own making, yet Hird remains with an extended contract.

You think EFC care what other clubs think of them Pies,Blues,Hawks etc have always hated Essendon just ask Eddie what he thinks if this were happening to Collingwood i'm sure he wouldn't give a s**t.

Last edited:

Blueyboy74

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
It's an interesting. Let's assume that there actually has been a breach according to the terms of the contract and accordingly the player invokes this and departs to another club. Is it unethical:

1. By the Player?

No if he is genuinely distressed by the breach. Yes if he is simply using it as a tool to leave.

2. By Essendon?

If they acknowledge a breach has occurred (yeah right ...) then would it be unethical to stand in his way?

3. By the destination club?

Hard to say. If his manager or otherwise made it known he wanted out, then the club would be derelict in its duty not to look at him as17 other clubs will.

If the destination club has initiated the contact and alerted the player of the breach of contract clause, then it would be somewhat unethical.

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Is Brendan right in this situation?

And does it bring into question his moral compass?

Lastly, when getting his haircut, does he take in a picture of a 1939 German infantryman and say; "just like this please Giovanni"
I wonder if the tears welled up in his eyes, always seems to be moaning and crying about something poor little thing.

Blueyboy74

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
You think EFC care what other clubs think of them Pies,Blues,Hawks etc have always hated Essendon,ask Eddie what he thinks if this were happening to Collingwood i'm sure he wouldn't give a s**t.
I reckon they would care a lot mate. There is genuine rivalry but then there is a total lack of respect. If you lost the latter then clubs will be reluctant to deal with you on principle alone. Footy is a business but a business in which emotion will often override good practice.

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
It is unethical.

Disrespect is what your club brought upon the rest of the competition and unethical is then to drag it all through the courts instead of facing up to the rules your club signed up to, opportunistic is what I would call it.

Is it unethical that Essendon's Coach James Hird has had a meeting with Melbourne's Mitch Clark who is still under contract until october 31 without asking for Melbourne's permission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back