Going inside 50

Remove this Banner Ad

I never said he doesn't play well in big games.

Overall he's a massive net positive but his flaws and history suggest that come a big game, like a grand final, he is more likely to put in a stinker than a blinder.

Maybe he needs new contact lenses.
True, you said more likely to put in a stinker.

It's not just that, Taz. He is our turnover King. We got him in specifically for his "elite" kicking skills and he hasn't reached that standard since he's been here.

Did we? Did you get that from Bond or Lloyd yourself?

I don't remember reading any media from the Football Club to say that.

Just because you believed the hype doesn't mean he should be living up to it.

True, you said more likely to put in a stinker.
So what do you think? On available evidence, would you tend to bank on Pearce playing a good game in a GF or an ordinary one?

I can see Hill tearing up on the MCG, even though he's rarely done it. Same goes for Ballas (despite his stinker last year), Fyfe, Barlow, Walters, etc.

Pearce however I have huge doubts about.

So what do you think? On available evidence, would you tend to bank on Pearce playing a good game in a GF or an ordinary one?

I can see Hill tearing up on the MCG, even though he's rarely done it. Same goes for Ballas (despite his stinker last year), Fyfe, Barlow, Walters, etc.

Pearce however I have huge doubts about.
He's played a couple of very good prelims, so I don't think it is outside the realms of possibility that he has a good game in the GF. I hope this year we get to find out whether it's third time lucky for him. Have you considered that he had more work put into him in the 2 GFs because he had such good prelims, resulting in lowered output? If you consider prelims big games, he's about 50/50.

Did we? Did you get that from Bond or Lloyd yourself?

I don't remember reading any media from the Football Club to say that.

Just because you believed the hype doesn't mean he should be living up to it.
I've been trying to find the original reference without any luck, but elite skills by foot was the call. Perhaps it was all a dream.

He's played a couple of very good prelims, so I don't think it is outside the realms of possibility that he has a good game in the GF. I hope this year we get to find out whether it's third time lucky for him. Have you considered that he had more work put into him in the 2 GFs because he had such good prelims, resulting in lowered output? If you consider prelims big games, he's about 50/50.
I would consider GFs much bigger games than prelims and would weight them accordingly.

But even so, there are big games, and there are nothing games that have big moments. Look at his missed shot just before the end of the first half (sprayed it completely). Would have given the side momentum and a handy break before half time. His shots go begging as often as they're winners.

Pearce's disposal seems far more stressed by the proximity of an oppo player than any other team mate I can think of... besides Dawson, Sandi or Clarke. Needs to get his sh*t together, because his evasion is a strength.

The weird thing is that he's pretty comfortable attacking the man, but can't handle being chased. He's not soft... but he seems on the fragile side when it comes to pressure. And I mean needing to make a kick or pick up a ball, or deliver it when the team needs it. Mentally I think he's still got some work to do.

Perfect storm conditions tonight; Hill back but rusty as hell, Pearce butchering the life out of the Sherrin and our main focal point and only genuine tall forward out before half time. We really lean heavily on the efficiency of Ballas and Pav, it's frustrating when we continually take an obviously wrong option and/or sit it on Ballantyne's head with 3 defenders swarming him.

I realise quality of entry is dependent on the pressure the mids are under which was high tonight but we do it when we're in space so that's a moot point.

I doubt we are going to be rotating Fyfe forward much since he provides about 70% of our centre clearances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back