Gold Coast SUNS v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Was just to easy. Training type stuff. Gold Coast were really bad.
Like every side against the reigning premier, Gold Coast set themselves and were very physical.

All week people saying road trip to gc becoming one of the toughest fixtures. One week ago people saying freo the best defensive side ever.

Like they do to most sides, hawks made them look second rate.

Hawthorns forward line is incredible.

I don't think GC were that bad. Pretty hard at it all game it is just Hawthorn are so good that every time they pressured a mistake, they took the half-chance.

If it was Hawthorn v this weeks Brisbane it would have been a 200 point flogging.

Like every side against the reigning premier, Gold Coast set themselves and were very physical.

All week people saying road trip to gc becoming one of the toughest fixtures. One week ago people saying freo the best defensive side ever.

Like they do to most sides, hawks made them look second rate.

Hawthorns forward line is incredible.
Agree. The forward line has a bit of an allstar look about it at the moment. Even superior to the forward line we had in the late 80s. It's clear our fire power is the thing setting us aside from other teams. And then you've got the likes of Smith Hill and Suckling pushing forward as well.

Agree. The forward line has a bit of an allstar look about it at the moment. Even superior to the forward line we had in the late 80s. It's clear our fire power is the thing setting us aside from other teams. And then you've got the likes of Smith Hill and Suckling pushing forward as well.
3 of the top 5 goalkickers so far this year are hawks. Certainly not struggling to kick goals without franklin.

Forward line class and experience told the story tonight.
Solid performance by the hawks back line.
To have the luxury of pushing Mitchell, Hodge, Burgoyne & Gunston down back and still kick a 99pt margin is ominous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great win by the Hawks! The mix of quick running slick football when needed and then to change it up by keeping the ball to catch breath is really smart IMO. Plus when there's contested footy to be own they don't shirk the contest at all.. Brilliant and I'm really happy the way the teams going ATM. It was obvious in the second half that Burgoyne, Rioli, Hale were all playing within themselves..maybe Clarkos telling them we have an important game next week...just maybe.

Sorry for not getting back till now, was walking the dog - was probably a bit flippant, for a change would have been a better description.
Reckon Lewis has dished out a lot more than he has copped and has been involved in enough unsavoury incidents for it not to be coincidental.
But there are players that polarize in all sides - Macaffer for us caused a bit of a stir last night, Nick Maxwell has on occasion, too.

What are these unsavoury incidents you speak of?

There's none, unless you go back to when he was 19

He's actually a bit of a clean skin compared to most afl players
I've seen Mitchell do worse than Lewis has in recent times

Yep, that's kinda what I was getting out.

A few silly tummy taps but not a thing I can thing of in the 'dirty sniper' basket. He may have been one of the many who gave Boomer a clip in the 2007 final although I can't be sure off the top of my head.

What are these unsavoury incidents you speak of?
Pratt, Firrito, Cornes (spitting), Monfries (whom he accused of being a stagger and an actor - pot, kettle, black after the Goddard incident), Selwood ...

I don't mind supporters sticking up for their players, I do it, too, but when it drifts into denialism, it's hard to have a sensible conversation. He's no cleanskin.

Pratt, Firrito, Cornes (spitting), Monfries (whom he accused of being a stagger and an actor - pot, kettle, black after the Goddard incident), Selwood ...

I don't mind supporters sticking up for their players, I do it, too, but when it drifts into denialism, it's hard to have a sensible conversation. He's no cleanskin.

Didn't Monfries all but come out and admit he staged? After Lewis had gotten punished mind you. Besides, if you look back at any players career, even the players who are considered tough nuts in Brown, Hodge, Selwood, you will find situations where they have overstepped the rules. Hell, how about when Selwood got 4 weeks for bursting Brent Guerra's ear drum? Why are those guys tough, and Lewis is just a thug? Lewis has certainly put his head over the ball, and taken his fair share of hits.

Didn't Monfries all but come out and admit he staged? After Lewis had gotten punished mind you. Besides, if you look back at any players career, even the players who are considered tough nuts in Brown, Hodge, Selwood, you will find situations where they have overstepped the rules. Hell, how about when Selwood got 4 weeks for bursting Brent Guerra's ear drum? Why are those guys tough, and Lewis is just a thug? Lewis has certainly put his head over the ball, and taken his fair share of hits.

No doubt, but putting your head over the ball doesn't entitle you to hit blokes off the ball. He's transgressed more often than those you named (except Brown)

Not looking for an argument, you're entitled to back your player and we don't have to agree, all good.

Monfries did dive - that is without Q. A nothing incident. Pratt did also. The softest tummy tap suspension of all time. The others I can't even recall which kind of backs the point that a few little indiscretions is a long way removed from the regular dirty sniper you've tried to paint him as.

If you said Campbell Brown or Matthew Lloyd or Chris Judd then I would say "yep, sniper"....a few little indiscretions that are basically over the top penalties for free kick worthy incidents don't add up to 'unsavoury incidents' or a sniper. You didn't provide one example of something that fit that labelling.

Monfries did dive - that is without Q. A nothing incident. Pratt did also. The softest tummy tap suspension of all time. The others I can't even recall which kind of backs the point that a few little indiscretions is a long way removed from the regular dirty sniper you've tried to paint him as. If you said Campbell Brown or Matthew Lloyd or Chris Judd then I would say "yep, sniper"....a few little indiscretions that are basically over the top penalties for free kick worthy incidents don't add up to 'unsavoury incidents' or a sniper. You didn't provide one example of something that fit that labelling.
Let’s get a couple of things straight:
1. If you’re going to repeatedly use words like ‘dog’, ‘sniper, ‘gutless’ etc., then do me the fundamental courtesy of quoting an actual comment of mine using those words before you put them in my mouth. And until such time as you can, kindly refrain from setting up strawman arguments involving other players who in your opinion fit that bill;
2. Jordan Lewis has been cited on ~ 10 instances in his career. The incidents have included punching unsuspecting opponents in the stomach, off the ball hits, elbowing, headbutting and spitting, and he recently exposed himself as a stager. Please explain how these incidents underline your claim that Lewis is a ball player. Do it one by one and present actual evidence, not your or your mate’s or the bloke down road’s subjective analysis;
3. You repeatedly attempt to play down Lewis’ “body of work” by pushing the argument that your subjective opinion that all of the opponents were somehow play-acting, thus rendering Lewis innocent. That is clearly not the case – he would not have been repeatedly suspended if it were. You also started off by stating that he had no tribunal record of note / no track record of indiscretions. When confronted with evidence of his transgressions, you didn’t address it.
4. Please cite one other instance of another ‘ball player currently running around in the competition who has anywhere near the number of charges on his rap sheet as Lewis for such incidents. Given the sorts of incidents Lewis has been involved in happen to all good ball players in your opinion, you should have no problems doing so.
5. If you’re going to use Judd, Brown, Lloyd as a basis for comparison, that’s you prerogative. It doesn’t mean I’m under any obligation to view them as apt comparisons.
You were given the opportunity to accept with good grace that no everybody views the world from your subjective perspective. You chose not to take it. My comment stands and no amount of haranguing and obfuscation is going to change it.

Let’s get a couple of things straight:
1. If you’re going to repeatedly use words like ‘dog’, ‘sniper, ‘gutless’ etc., then do me the fundamental courtesy of quoting an actual comment of mine using those words before you put them in my mouth. And until such time as you can, kindly refrain from setting up strawman arguments involving other players who in your opinion fit that bill;

If you're suggesting these are my words and not yours then we may as well leave it here. Wow.

Good to see Lewis get lined up for once, he's a very dirty player.

Reckon Lewis has dished out a lot more than he has copped and has been involved in enough unsavoury incidents for it not to be coincidental.

Not sure where you got 'dog' or 'gutless' (not said once let alone repeatedly)from but sniper was close enough to very dirty player without a direct quote. Unsavoury incidents also insinuates the same thing.

You then say I laid claim to lewis being a ball player. While I agree he is, I have never said that in any argument either. You basically just put down an entire post of made up stuff trying to deride me for making up stuff...that you actually said. * me.

Now, you are making all these claims about him being a dirty player but we have Pratt and Monfries who both dived and Monfries has admitted it so you can spare me the headbutt claim. He was silly to lean on him head first but if that's the worst unsavoury incident you have then I rest my case your honour.

i can't even recall the spitting incident - so I did some research. He claimed he was simply spitting on the ground but apologised if Cornes was hit with it. Footage was viewed and he served no suspension at all as the league found the video evidence in line with his testimony. So there's spitting and headbutting already ruled out. And you're saying I'm putting words into your mouth.... jesus. Your entire argument is a fabrication.

Attach all of these so called other incidents to actual names and context. Explain how bad they were. Being suspended a number of times for silly things that are borderline one week incidents means that he has been a goose and got him self suspended too many times for simply silly things. Which is a marked differerence from being a dirty player as you claim. When has he smashed someone's head in?

Is Stevie J a dirty player? I don't think so - but he can often get himself suspended being a bit of a goose.

If either bloke played prior to the year 2000 they would never have served one week. Under the newer interpretations the MRP has started adopting over the past 18 months, they would have not served suspensions for a number of things they got time for.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back