Gold Coast vs Brisbane - what are the ramifications for the loser?

Remove this Banner Ad

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
This weekend's QClash is arguably the most important one to date in the short history between these two sides.

Gold Coast and Brisbane are the only two sides yet to register a win in season 2015.

Both sides were widely touted as finals contenders and were tipped to bolt up the ladder, and so far this year, neither side has come close to living up to expectations.

What ramifications will there be for the loser?

Will the loser of this game become wooden spoon favourites?

Does the coach come under pressure?

This weekend's QClash is arguably the most important one to date in the short history between these two sides.

Gold Coast and Brisbane are the only two sides yet to register a win in season 2015.

Both sides were widely touted as finals contenders and were tipped to bolt up the ladder, and so far this year, neither side has come close to living up to expectations.

I don't think we were ever considered a finals chance without a forward line

Are you not worried your team could win the spoon your team were still considered a top 8 chance I'd say your team has underAchieved

If Brisbane lose the chance Leppitch won't be the coach in 2016 get's that much higher.

Both teams desperate for a win, hopefully a good crowd and a good game.

Wonder what Dayne Beams will be thinking of his move if Brisbane drop this one? :confused:

Are you not worried your team could win the spoon your team were still considered a top 8 chance I'd say your team has underAchieved
Yes, it's keeping me up all night. Hence, I am posting this at 2:26am

I'd argue the ramifications are about the same - nothing.

Oh, internally and within the AFL media world there will be a bit of noise.....but for the Brisbane/Gold Coast average punter, the sometimes sports fan, the "market" as it were....they won't hear or see anything about it. It won't even register.

And that's the real story imo.

If Brisbane lose the chance Leppitch won't be the coach in 2016 get's that much higher.

Both teams desperate for a win, hopefully a good crowd and a good game.

Wonder what Dayne Beams will be thinking of his move if Brisbane drop this one? :confused:

Beams is probably very happy to be close to his father.

Both clubs need a bit of luck in the running.

I'd argue the ramifications are about the same - nothing.

Oh, internally and within the AFL media world there will be a bit of noise.....but for the Brisbane/Gold Coast average punter, the sometimes sports fan, the "market" as it were....they won't hear or see anything about it. It won't even register.

And that's the real story imo.

Yep, Queensland fast becoming irrelevant in more ways than one to the AFL landscape - and I mean that with all due respect.

Interesting times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By who?

I'd have to disagree if you're talking about Lions fans

Over summer I think there was one or two school kids starting innumerable unrealistic threads on the main board about how awesome Brisbane would be this year. These posters have now disappeared.

If you wanted a more balanced idea of the expectations of the average Brisbane punter checking the Brisbane board would have been of more value. Most considered a modest improvement to the 9 to 13 region of the ladder with a good run. Very few consider making the 8 realistic.

The Suns seem to unfortunately following a trend by the Gold Coast Titans in the NRL. The Titans started in 2007:
2007: 12th
2008: 13th
2009: Semi Final
2010: Preliminary Final
2011: 16th
2012: 11th
2013: 9th
2014: 14th

It follows the pattern of the Suns that they built their results steadily for the first four years, promising so much, before falling off a cliff in their 5th year. The titans crowds and popularity also fell off a cliff and haven' recovered since. The Gold Coast is a fickle sporting market so the AFL will be praying that they can do something this year.

snu_snu.gif

No real ramifications as brisbane weren't realistically expected to do much and the idea that Gold Coast are a long way behind where they'd like to be has been spoken about since round 2.

So nothing really changes either way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back