Gold Coast's "20-ONE-3" plan

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the problem with them stating objectives? Good on them for aiming for the stars; I'd be disappointed if I was a supporter and they weren't aiming for these objectives.
I believe Richmond said something similar a few years back, Hawthorn have stated that they aim to grow their 60,000 odd various member forms to 65 000 this year to name a few others.
Crikey, people love having a whinge.

It's more about marketing to the (generally) apathetic Gold Coast than anything else.

If the SUNS came out with a slogan that said "We expect to be competitive in 5 - 7 years!" how would that go over? It may be far more realistic, but it won't get bums on seats like the 20-One-3 thing will.

The SUNS have made FANTASTIC inroads on the Coast, and the Titans have fumbled the ball in the last couple of years. Marketing and bums on seats!

How are the membership numbers looking? That seems to be the more gettable target.
4716 so far for 2013 according to their website.

So they want 20000 by this time next year while they publicly state they have no "immediate" plans to play finals?

Hmmm...

I don't see them winning a flag in the near future. To be honest as much as I hate them the Giants look far scarier than the Suns do. I think even before this years draft GWS had the better talent, add another handful of potential future stars and I don't see GC winning before GWS.

Increase in fans could be possible they have the demographic to achieve that, but as far as their list its hard to judge after such a poor year they've had.

West Coast finished last in 2010. Could win the premiership in 2013. Worsfold made the exact same prediction and got laughed at... 3 years is a long time in footy.

West Coast finished last in 2010. Could win the premiership in 2013. Worsfold made the exact same prediction and got laughed at... 3 years is a long time in footy.
Gold Coast aren't WCE I'm not saying it isn't possible but it's very hard to judge where that list is at due to being a young side and the shocking year they've had.

i remember a few list managers who believed eagles had a top 4 list on potential end of 2009 - actually chris pelchen mentioned it at a hawthorn members meeting. 2010 was a glitch - i'm not surprised at all they are contending - i very much expected them to.

GC ladder curve imo

2013 - bottom 4
2014 - 10-14
2015 - Top 8
2016 - thereabouts

I believe Richmond said something similar a few years back
Gold Coast have even copied the format! Ours is/was "3-0-75," for three finals appearances, zero debt, and 75k members after five years.

We've missed the first one (no finals three years in), the second is all but done, and 75k members seems possible but a stretch (we have two years to go from 53k to 75k).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WCE came last because they got destroyed by injuries so the MC decided to play kids.
That list if fit at the time would have made finals.
It's not the same.

Like others have said, I think the membership looks the more likely of the two but even that is very unlikley to happen. I don't think a 2015 premiership is on the cards, finals definitely will be however.

WCE came last because they got destroyed by injuries so the MC decided to play kids.
It's not the same.

It's very hard to judge GC. They may not follow the usual progression. They may have a tilt at the flag after finishing bottom four.. They pushed a lot of sides in their first season, as did GWS.

If the GC kids can click at the same time and they're not cruelled by injury like 2012, then they can surge up the ladder in a very short space of time. Finals and threatening top 4 is definitely possible by 2015.

It's not the same.
Sorry, but I don't buy this. It's hard to believe it now, but West Coast were a garbage team in 2010, and injuries was not the only reason for it. That's not to say injuries didn't play some part in it (looking back, they did play some serious no-names towards seasons' end), but a best-case scenario for West Coast that year, even without injuries, was probably a 10th or 11th placed finish.

Injuries alone do not account for TWELVE spots on the ladder and THIRTEEN more wins from one year to the next, that's a massive differential.

What's the problem with them stating objectives? Good on them for aiming for the stars; I'd be disappointed if I was a supporter and they weren't aiming for these objectives.
I believe Richmond said something similar a few years back, Hawthorn have stated that they aim to grow their 60,000 odd various member forms to 65 000 this year to name a few others.
Crikey, people love having a whinge.

agree. i dont know why fans begrudge clubs of a mission statement. its not a guarentee just an aim to strive for.

I don't see why they can't win the flag in 2015.

Their plan has always been to be young and crap first couple of years to get the most high picks they can. They've done that. Next year they will turn focus to winning. Even if they miss the 8 they could make it in 2014 before winning in 2015. Their 2010 draft crop will be turning 23, which is old enough, they will have a salary cap advantage, Gaz will still be awesome.

Personally, I think that by 2015, Gold Coast won't win the flag but they should finish top 6 and make it to the semi-finals. In 2016 or 2017 they will have a real opportunity to win the flag with most of their players at 24 or 25. Can already see Suns and GWS starting to improve from the bottom.

within 12 months? we would be lucky to get 20k members period! if goldcoast ends up getting ahead of us in memberships.. i think i might kill myself :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back