Gold Coast's "20-ONE-3" plan

Remove this Banner Ad

There has never been a team formed with a core of draftees before GC and GWS, as such it is quite difficult to make a good prediction on what kind of performance curve they're following.

I'm expecting to make finals by 2015, and a GF by 2017. But then predicting one year into the future is hard enough in football at times, let alone five.

Port Adelaide and West Coast Eagles would be the models for the fastest to a premiership.

Interestingly Port Adelaide took a few key senior players form Essendon etc

I like it. I don't think they're actually expecting it to happen, reckon this announcement was more to try and stamp the losing culture out of the club. I'm expecting them to notably improve this year. Not to the point of challenging finals but definitely enough to cause a few midtable teams headaches.

Very embarrassing.

We might get 10 wins if everything falls our way regarding luck, injuries and the form of other teams. But to get a flag in 3 years, 10 wins in 2013 would be the bare minimum in terms of progression.

Or so you would think. Lots of accountability on the young players now, anyway.

Disagree its embarrassing..

I mean if you set a low bar, everyone in the club will be satisfied with mediocrity. Obviously he realises its a tough ask, but he's a leader of an organisation, and he would be failing to perform his duties if he didn't aim high. Anyway I think that the first 4-5 years of a players career are where the sharpest improvement comes from, so the Suns at the end of next year will bare no resemblance to the Suns of last season (which is what everyone is judging that call off).

Everyone thought the Hawks 5 year plan was a joke when they announced it. It was pretty derided at the time. They got within about 5 minutes of getting there.

Take it to the bay :thumbsu:

No I just don't like plastic franchises in the league. They cheapen it dramatically.

Your post about GC was bay worthy too though. If you dish it out, you have to cop it.

We obviously have scar tissue from the GC thing but we are long past that now, I don't think you should disrespect the GC supporters with saying their club shouldn't exist, we don't like the same barbs thrown at us.

We obviously have scar tissue from the GC thing but we are long past that now, I don't think you should disrespect the GC supporters with saying their club shouldn't exist, we don't like the same barbs thrown at us.

My first club died after about a century of history so I couldn't give a rats arse about these expansion clubs.

That's my excuse anyway :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast did it in five years, why can't Gold Coast?

Completely different scenario. West Coast were chock full of WA talent, had mature bodies and SOUL.

GC17 has no soul.

Flag within 3 years is not a possibility, and after that Gaz will be gone/going which will expose them big time. They completely fluffed their recruiting and it will begin to show in 2014/15/16 when we expect them to rise and have a serious impact but they simply won't have the depth. They sunk way too much into Gaz Jr, football's greatest the marketing coup, and therefore have a very unbalanced list.

GWS will win one before GC17, but not before 2018.

Completely different scenario. West Coast were chock full of WA talent, had mature bodies and SOUL.

GC17 has no soul.

Flag within 3 years is not a possibility, and after that Gaz will be gone/going which will expose them big time. They completely fluffed their recruiting and it will begin to show in 2014/15/16 when we expect them to rise and have a serious impact but they simply won't have the depth. They sunk way too much into Gaz Jr, football's greatest the marketing coup, and therefore have a very unbalanced list.

GWS will win one before GC17, but not before 2018.

I don't think that Gaz is necessarily going anywhere. As long as his body is good and the drive is there, I think he'll stay. He could have years as a forward ahead of him.

Not quite sure what you mean by fluffing the recruiting - if it's mature-aged players then yes, there have been a few deals that haven't worked out as well as one would hope. But that's been better recently, this year picking up Tom Murphy and Greg Broughton, both of which will be good for us.

What gives a club a soul? Everyone has to start somewhere...

Know I'll be criticised for saying this, but I think the Gold Coast will progress in this manner over the next 5-6 years (ditto for GWS):

2013- bottom 4
2014- bottom 4
2015- 11th-14th, and rattle a few top sides along the way
2016- push massively for a finals berth, only to just fall short
2017- top 8
2018 onwards- top 4 and a subsequent premiership chance

Just believe they will take more time to develop and mature as a side than the footy public are generally suggesting.

Gold Coast have even copied the format! Ours is/was "3-0-75," for three finals appearances, zero debt, and 75k members after five years.

We've missed the first one (no finals three years in), the second is all but done, and 75k members seems possible but a stretch (we have two years to go from 53k to 75k).

Getting 75,000 members by 2014 seems fairly unlikely to me unless Richmond have some kind of major success within that time frame (e.g. a top 4 finish).

GC17 has no soul.
It's easy to say Gold Coast have no 'soul'. But what does that actually mean? Surely you can't be accusing them of not wanting a premiership as much as the eagles? Or are you referring to there lack of history? How does that in anyway help the current sides win a flag? So i'd really like some further explanation about this so called 'soul' that some clubs have and some don't.

Every club when they started had no soul
Aiming to win GF's is the ambition of every club
Every club tries to increase membership

Why should GC be different?

I think Gold Coast need to learn how to walk before they can run. They're still in the mode of promoting themselves with rugby players. Until they escape from that and enter the real world, they'll flounder.

In any normal circumstances I'd say Gold Coast are no chance of winning a flag in 3 years, but this is football circa 2012, you never know what tricks the AFL have up their sleeve to make it happen. If the AFL want Gold Coast to win three years, it could happen. If left to their own devices, no chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back