Golden State Warriors thread - All Star 5

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
David Lee is one of those players that stirs up a lot of emotions in fans. I remember after last years Dubs playoff run people said they should trade him, because they are better without him. I'm really divided on him. I get the feeling he is the worst superstar in the league or the best non-superstar. His numbers are good, as always.

Over his career he averages 15/10 and this season he's a 19/10 guy. He's never shot less than 50% over a season in his career, is a very good free throw shooter for his size and is currently in his prime. He has a million moves in the post (imagine what Howard could do if he had that many moves).

Injury not withstanding later in the year he will hit 10,000 points, and I can't see any reason he wouldn't project to hit at least 17,000 or so career points and over 10,000 rebounds. There aren't many scrubs that finish with those sort of numbers.

I also don't find it a surprise that the Warriors have just come off their best run of their season when Lee is playing really well (22/10 at over 60% shooting in the last 10). While their run was against the leastern conference, you need to remember that during that run Curry usually followed an incredible game with an ordinary one. He's been up and down, while Lee was the constant.

Now his defense is all over the place. I don't think he is a terrible defender, but he obviously isn't good either. He does form part of one of the top 5 defenses in the league (that has Curry at point guard - a defensive sieve), so it can't be that bad.

He's a 50/50 shot at another all star birth this year, which would put him at 3 for his career (out of 9 seasons).

One blight on his career is that he tends to get numbers and his teams don't do that well (until last season). To be fair on him he wasn't really surrounded by many good teammates in New York.

So where do you rate Lee?

Renegade

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Knicks, Yankees
David Lee is one of those players that stirs up a lot of emotions in fans. I remember after last years Dubs playoff run people said they should trade him, because they are better without him. I'm really divided on him. I get the feeling he is the worst superstar in the league or the best non-superstar. His numbers are good, as always.

Over his career he averages 15/10 and this season he's a 19/10 guy. He's never shot less than 50% over a season in his career, is a very good free throw shooter for his size and is currently in his prime. He has a million moves in the post (imagine what Howard could do if he had that many moves).

Injury not withstanding later in the year he will hit 10,000 points, and I can't see any reason he wouldn't project to hit at least 17,000 or so career points and over 10,000 rebounds. There aren't many scrubs that finish with those sort of numbers.

I also don't find it a surprise that the Warriors have just come off their best run of their season when Lee is playing really well (22/10 at over 60% shooting in the last 10). While their run was against the leastern conference, you need to remember that during that run Curry usually followed an incredible game with an ordinary one. He's been up and down, while Lee was the constant.

Now his defense is all over the place. I don't think he is a terrible defender, but he obviously isn't good either. He does form part of one of the top 5 defenses in the league (that has Curry at point guard - a defensive sieve), so it can't be that bad.

He's a 50/50 shot at another all star birth this year, which would put him at 3 for his career (out of 9 seasons).

One blight on his career is that he tends to get numbers and his teams don't do that well (until last season). To be fair on him he wasn't really surrounded by many good teammates in New York.

So where do you rate Lee?

I love David Lee. He's was my main man back when he was with the Knicks. The first Knicks game i went to I was wearing his jersey. He's the guy who does it all. An underrated scorer, he has the ability to always get to the hoop and finish with a nice lefty lay up as well as find himself open for the nice 15 foot J. A big time rebounder, he has the knack for getting into position where he'll out maneuver his opponents for a defensive carom. Passing? Lovely. He's very unselfish and will find the open man if he's doubled in the post.
Nothing he does it flashy, it's all about playing the game the right way and being a winner.
As of today he has 117 straight games with 10 points or more. Only LeBron and Durant are with him in that category.

Momma...there goes that man!

david-lee.jpg

calaisking

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I like him, wanted him in my fantasy team from day one and got him... He's been pretty consistent all year

Lee's only downfall would be his defense

God Save Max King

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 25, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Offensively he's probably the best PF behind Love and LaMarcus. The problem is on the other end he is a sieve and his rim protection sucks. I don't think he's the best non-superstar and he definitely isn't a superstar yet, but he's a solid role player that fits in well with the Dubs.

djrossie16

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
He's not good defensively but Mark Jackson really sends him up s**t creek without a paddle when he relies on him to be the primary defender of the PnR because he's too much of a ******* to put Bogut in.

Makes him really standout as a horrible defender.

Yep I was hating on Lee too much earlier in the season when he is in fact as you point out being thrown to the wolves a lot. The guy can't really box out and play great defensively unless he's coupled with a bigger body in the paint. Unfortunately he seems to play his best offense going solo and with a lot of space to operate in the paint. There's a bit of a dilemma there when he is being played at the 5. The one thing I believe he can do in a playoff series is switch onto the guard in the high pick and roll and guard a faster guard with some degree of effectiveness because he has some foot speed. But yes he will probably fall apart guarding a big man off the pick closer to the basket. His best bet is to probably use body positioning and quick hands to either get his opponent as far away from the basket as possible or disrupt the play.
From an offensive point of view when his jumper is falling he can be unstoppable and his hustle is truly admirable. Has a big tank and heart and I hope that in the playoffs we don't expose him defensively at the 5 like we have been lately. I think only when our ball movement is at it's best within the flow of the game should we do this. Once the nitty gritty half court style emerges need to be able to rebound and defend to get the job done and he at least has a chance at the 4 as a help rebounder.

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Offensively he's probably the best PF behind Love and LaMarcus. The problem is on the other end he is a sieve and his rim protection sucks. I don't think he's the best non-superstar and he definitely isn't a superstar yet, but he's a solid role player that fits in well with the Dubs.

I don't know if you can call someone who might be a back to back all-star a role player.

God Save Max King

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 25, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't know if you can call someone who might be a back to back all-star a role player.

In the sense that he's (to me) the 5th best/most important player on their team. I don't doubt that he should be in the discussion for an All-Star game, but that's the All-Star game.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
I dont think he's that bad of a defender. Not Bargs bad.

He's one of the 3 most versatile offensive bigs.

When teams trap Curry, he's the guy who gets the ball and his ability to shoot, pass or drive is unmatched amongst guys his seze. This creates huge problems for trapping teams like the Heat.

13then7

Club Legend
Sep 18, 2011
Boston USA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SF Dogs, GS Warriors, A's, Raiders
Lee is helped so much by the presence of Bogut. When Bogut leaves the court Lee is found wanting.

Damn you KD.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
I dont think he's that bad of a defender. Not Bargs bad.
Man on Man he's much worse then Bargs

He sucks on defense, Completely hopeless. I cannot stress it enough, He'll make good rotations but man on man hes woeful

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
He always comes up at the annual NBA nerd convention where guys like Zach Lowe analyse current trends and so on in the league. They all talked about his abysmal defence last year if I recall correctly.

Offensively he's great.

Scully2Folau

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 12, 2011
GWS
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
BOS:Celtics/Patriots/Bruins/Red Sox
He always comes up at the annual NBA nerd convention where guys like Zach Lowe analyse current trends and so on in the league. They all talked about his abysmal defence last year if I recall correctly.

Offensively he's great.
Kirk Goldsberry went after Lee at Sloan, apparently had the crowd in 'uproarious laughter' at this video:

Also this:
030113_Sanders_Lee.jpg

People like to hang s**t on him because of his defence, but few players are the complete package. He's a gun offensively and on the boards, but will probably be remembered as just another big white stiff in the mould of Tom Gugliotta or Keith Van Horn.

djrossie16

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
People like to hang s**t on him because of his defence, but few players are the complete package. He's a gun offensively and on the boards, but will probably be remembered as just another big white stiff in the mould of Tom Gugliotta or Keith Van Horn.

chortled a bit how you ended this back handed compliment sort of post :D

chortled a bit how you ended this back handed compliment sort of post :D

Ha, I meant that is how he'll be remembered- unfairly. Googs and KVH weren't bad players at the time.

I don't think it's a coincidence that during that great run we had the other week, Lee was at his best (Iguodala back helped too). Also, with Curry getting double-teamed a lot of the time, it's great that we have a reliable mid range shooter that can sit out and wait for the pass.

Granted, he isn't as strong defensively, but his offences makes up for it IMO (for now. We'll see in the playoffs). Put Bogut next to him and they're a good pair.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Granted, he isn't as strong defensively, but his offences makes up for it IMO (for now. We'll see in the playoffs). Put Bogut next to him and they're a good pair.
Yeah put him with someone who can defend the rim and help him out rotations his drawbacks don't seem as glaring. He'll always put up solid numbers at a good% in the offense.

a gun at the knicks, i think in his rookie season? a consistent doub doub threat. enjoyed his contribution to my fantasy teams. like whites can shoot from mid range. for someone who cant really jump he grabs boards! a rated player, nothing really more

djrossie16

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
a gun at the knicks, i think in his rookie season? a consistent doub doub threat. enjoyed his contribution to my fantasy teams. like whites can shoot from mid range. for someone who cant really jump he grabs boards! a rated player, nothing really more
He is very quick imo. I think he can be a factor on the pick and roll defense if he wants to be. I think he shows way less intensity on defense. You can tell particularity early in the season he was trying to address this and seemed to be an extra emphasis on trying to be more of an offensive factor closer to the basket. Having said that when he starts hitting that midrange jumper he becomes deadly. I really hope he gets to prove himself in the playoffs because his reputation did take a bit of a hit in last season's playoffs due to his absence and the team's strong play without him.

Last edited:
Back