Golden State Warriors thread - All Star 5

Remove this Banner Ad

I use to always wonder why he got so much playing time in his rookie year from Mark Jackson, definitely didnt see the potential in him then :eek: Green, Barnes and Ezeli was a great draft

Curry has set the single season record for most games with 8 or more 3 pointers with his seventh such game of the season.

It's the 10th of January...

Another one today :drunk: It would be pretty crazy for anotehr player to attempt the amount that Steph does but for him its like a mid range shot, so easy to get off

Players were terrible yesterday, only the Splash Brothers hit the scoreboard, but can anyone explain why on a night when the bench could not score at all you go and start the 4th with the whole second unit after the starters had dragged the margin back to 11???

Players were terrible yesterday, only the Splash Brothers hit the scoreboard, but can anyone explain why on a night when the bench could not score at all you go and start the 4th with the whole second unit after the starters had dragged the margin back to 11???

Because the bench on multiple occasions has held it's own before. In fact over the last week or so, they have outperformed the starters in a few games.

Because it's the start of a road trip.

Because there's no point grinding the guys yet when they were 37-3.

Because Curry and Green played the entire 3rd quarter, so starting the 4th would have been insane.

Because Thompson had only been sitting for 2 minutes at the end of the 3rd.

Because Barnes... well he was actually out there at the start of the 4th.

Because having Bogut out there at the start of the 4th probably wouldn't have helped. He works best with the starting unit.

We started with Barb, Livingston, Iggy, Barnes and Ezili. No reason they shouldn't be able to compete with, if not destroy, Blake, Morris, Johnson, Tolliver and Baynes.

We just didn't turn up. Happens.

Need to get our ass back in gear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because the bench on multiple occasions has held it's own before. In fact over the last week or so, they have outperformed the starters in a few games.

Because it's the start of a road trip.

Because there's no point grinding the guys yet when they were 37-3.

Because Curry and Green played the entire 3rd quarter, so starting the 4th would have been insane.

Because Thompson had only been sitting for 2 minutes at the end of the 3rd.

Because Barnes... well he was actually out there at the start of the 4th.

Because having Bogut out there at the start of the 4th probably wouldn't have helped. He works best with the starting unit.

We started with Barb, Livingston, Iggy, Barnes and Ezili. No reason they shouldn't be able to compete with, if not destroy, Blake, Morris, Johnson, Tolliver and Baynes.

We just didn't turn up. Happens.

Need to get our ass back in gear.
I agree with a lot of your points, but...

I wasn't suggesting playing Steph and Dray for the whole last quarter, maybe just give them a couple of minutes to start the qtr to see if we could put some pressure on the Pistons. If they're not making inroads absolutely put the second unit in and hope for the best.

Absolutely the 5 that started the last should have been able to make ground on the Pistons lineup, but they hadn't been all night. We made 3 field goals with Steph off the court!

We haven't been playing overly well for a while now, hopefully this is the wake up call we need. I don't mind if we lose but we need to get some of our defensive intensity back.

I agree with a lot of your points, but...

I wasn't suggesting playing Steph and Dray for the whole last quarter, maybe just give them a couple of minutes to start the qtr to see if we could put some pressure on the Pistons. If they're not making inroads absolutely put the second unit in and hope for the best.

Absolutely the 5 that started the last should have been able to make ground on the Pistons lineup, but they hadn't been all night. We made 3 field goals with Steph off the court!

We haven't been playing overly well for a while now, hopefully this is the wake up call we need. I don't mind if we lose but we need to get some of our defensive intensity back.

Our rotations has always been Steph plays all the first, last 6-8 minutes of the 2nd, all the 3rd, last 6-9 minutes of the last in games like that. Green is almost identical. It generally only changes if we are blowing a team out or foul trouble. No need to change it for a one off.

At the start of the last you would have expected Steph/Green to come in with 7-8 minutes left and the lead to be around 10 or so. Perfect to then make a run.

I don't see how your plan of starting Steph in the last is a good idea. What was the plan? Take him off half way through the quarter for a rest or play him the whole quarter. Both plans aren't good. Steph and Green never start the last quarter. Why start now? The bench just didn't preform like they should have at the start of the last.

Having the Cavs next up would have also been playing on their minds.

Our rotations has always been Steph plays all the first, last 6-8 minutes of the 2nd, all the 3rd, last 6-9 minutes of the last in games like that. Green is almost identical. It generally only changes if we are blowing a team out or foul trouble. No need to change it for a one off.

At the start of the last you would have expected Steph/Green to come in with 7-8 minutes left and the lead to be around 10 or so. Perfect to then make a run.

I don't see how your plan of starting Steph in the last is a good idea. What was the plan? Take him off half way through the quarter for a rest or play him the whole quarter. Both plans aren't good. Steph and Green never start the last quarter. Why start now? The bench just didn't preform like they should have at the start of the last.

Having the Cavs next up would have also been playing on their minds.
This has been one of the issues with having Walton in the hot seat (not saying he hasn't done a great job in the circumstance), he has IMO been a little too inflexible with the manipulation of minutes and rotations. He reminds me a little of Neil Craig, good when things are going well (as they have been most of the year) but a little stubborn when they're not.

I don't know that my ideas are better, hell I'm certainly no NBA coach, just frustrated after watching us go down like that. Still, I don't care that much about losses now as long as we win the last game of the year.

This has been one of the issues with having Walton in the hot seat (not saying he hasn't done a great job in the circumstance), he has IMO been a little too inflexible with the manipulation of minutes and rotations. He reminds me a little of Neil Craig, good when things are going well (as they have been most of the year) but a little stubborn when they're not.

I don't know that my ideas are better, hell I'm certainly no NBA coach, just frustrated after watching us go down like that. Still, I don't care that much about losses now as long as we win the last game of the year.

You are overreacting with "issues with having Walton in the hotseat". Doubt Kerr plays it any different. I don't remember Steph starting any last quarters last year.

I think his rotations have been fantastic. For instance bringing Rush into the starting line up when Barnes was out. I thought it was crazy not be bring Iggy in. Worked out great.

I'm not sure what he is being stubborn about? In regards to this game he bought in Thompson after 2 minutes, and Curry/Green after 3:20. That's not being stubborn. Each of them got less than 4 minutes break.

His start to Jason Thompson wasn't great though.

You are overreacting with "issues with having Walton in the hotseat". Doubt Kerr plays it any different. I don't remember Steph starting any last quarters last year.

I think his rotations have been fantastic. For instance bringing Rush into the starting line up when Barnes was out. I thought it was crazy not be bring Iggy in. Worked out great.

I'm not sure what he is being stubborn about? In regards to this game he bought in Thompson after 2 minutes, and Curry/Green after 3:20. That's not being stubborn. Each of them got less than 4 minutes break.

His start to Jason Thompson wasn't great though.
You're probably right, hell I'm nitpicking on a guy who has coached us to 37-4, and my opinion of Kerr is possibly inflated in his absence I know.

I absolutely agree with you re B-Rush, was great to see him get some extended minutes and recapture some of the form he showed pre-injury, but then he goes and starts JT at the 4 with Draymond out. The only good thing I can see about that was at least it wasn't Mo at the 4 which I feel we have persevered with for too long this year. Personally I probably would have thrown HB in at the 4.

Like I said before, I'm probably overreacting out of frustration as it feels like we've been well down on our best for quite a while now despite our record. I might be wrong but I'm just not convinced Luke can get on the guys when they slacken off in the same way Steve can, and I think this is part of the reason we haven't played D as well as last year.

It must be tough on Luke though, his role prior to Steve sitting out was to be close to the players and be something of a bridge between players and coach (from what I've heard), and given that he's in an interim position it may be a little harder for him to really exert his will on the playing group. Time will tell, especially when, as we all expect now, he gets a head coaching gig somewhere. Then we'll really see what kind of a head coach he is.

Yeah, that was incredibly frustrating. Couldnt get any stops, nobody except the Splash Bros could score.

I agree that Clark has earned minutes over Barbosa, better shooter aswell. I feel like Leandro really forces the issue which can be great when he is on but horrible when he isnt

Huge game tomorrow

30 man USA squad named.

5 Warriors made it and Bogut and will probably be there for Australia.

Wouldn't expect Barnes to make the cut, but would be great for his growth.

Iggy also unlikely.

giphy.gif

Another great team effort from the guys today. There seems to have been a bit of a change on the rotations since the Pistons loss, 4th quarters aside, we haven't seen as many of the hockey change subs, and all second unit lineups. This has enabled us to keep scoring, and taken some of the pressure off the reserves and allowed them to play better.

Most importantly though, we've played some seriously good defence in the last two games. Can't wait for the Spurs match up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back