Golf Golf Clubs/Equipment Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Get fitted if possible

Head to club testing days and they'll help with shafts etc etc.

Well worth it.

I'm off 7 and couldnt hit a 3 iron 245metres if i bladed it down an ice rink.

That's an insane distance

What are your distances might I ask? Maybe I am over estimating my distance ha.
My 5 iron (fav club) easily and consistently and accuractly 210+ . I guess long levers help? ha.

What are your distances might I ask? Maybe I am over estimating my distance ha.
My 5 iron (fav club) easily and consistently and accuractly 210+ . I guess long levers help? ha.

I'm 6ft2 and about 100kgs

Hit a 5 iron maybe 185-195 accurately

Don't hit many 4 irons but as i go down
6I - 170-175
7I - 150-160
8I - 140-150

3hybrid 210m
3 wood 230-240
Driver 270..depending on roll wind etc

A number of holes see me using 9, PW or my SW in.

Wedges, what brand would you recommend? Obviously everyone has slight differences.
I have Mizuno wedges. I would recommend them Cleveland or Titleist. Really important also is the ball you play. You need to be consistent with this also to know how it spins/travels etc. even off the putter face.
With your woods, don't avoid small heads. I have a Taylor made VSteel ( google it) and love it. Plenty of pros play a 420cc driver head. Spend your money on club fitting ( pureform is good) you could pay from $100-500 for a driver shaft but it will really, really help.

I am guessing if I have some lessons, they would probably tell me to slow down my swing a bit but it works well for me.

FYI im 6ft5, 110kg.

As long as your swing creates a consistent result, distance fade or draw they shouldn't change it imo.
More important to be predictable and consistent in result

As long as your swing creates a consistent result, distance fade or draw they shouldn't change it imo.
More important to be predictable and consistent in result

and thats what I have been doing of late. Ill still have my usual 30 handicapper s**t but its getting better. Last 3 rounds have seen me shoot even, +2, +1, +1 on the back 9 but the front 9, especially the early couple of holes. disasters

and thats what I have been doing of late. Ill still have my usual 30 handicapper s**t but its getting better. Last 3 rounds have seen me shoot even, +2, +1, +1 on the back 9 but the front 9, especially the early couple of holes. disasters

How many balls do you hit b4 a round?

Do you warm up swinging left and right handed?

maybe hit 10-15 balls. Probably where i am going wrong! Bit of a stretch and away I go.

Try hitting 40 balls after swinging holding a 4&5 iron together.
Eg...swing two clubs at once and swing both left and right handed.
Awkward at 1st but was very beneficial for me

Try hitting 40 balls after swinging holding a 4&5 iron together.
Eg...swing two clubs at once and swing both left and right handed.
Awkward at 1st but was very beneficial for me

Thanks will give it a shot. Going down to Flinders this evening for some cheap golf after 5pm. Got the old man caddying for me haha.

Thanks will give it a shot. Going down to Flinders this evening for some cheap golf after 5pm. Got the old man caddying for me haha.

3 iron onto 1st

5 iron wedge onto 2nd
5 iron onto 3rd

4th hole coffin hole

Looks like my old man is out of a job. He told me about the coffin. Let's hope old don doesn't end up down there.

No harm if you go in there tbh.

Just dont go past the green.
Must always leave up hill putt on the coffin green. Must always must must must

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only two 3 putts all day. Couldn't tell you how many.
This is always my challenge. In 18 holes the course gives 36 putts, pros average about 28. Most of us amateurs accept 36-40 putts as good. I usually go around in 80-85 and often the difference for me is 30 vs 36 putts. A good putting round IMO should be less than 30 putts. When all is said and done with driver shafts, club fitting and the like, the most shots can saved on the green. When Tiger was #1, he was the best putter. A stat often overlooked.

This is always my challenge. In 18 holes the course gives 36 putts, pros average about 28. Most of us amateurs accept 36-40 putts as good. I usually go around in 80-85 and often the difference for me is 30 vs 36 putts. A good putting round IMO should be less than 30 putts. When all is said and done with driver shafts, club fitting and the like, the most shots can saved on the green. When Tiger was #1, he was the best putter. A stat often overlooked.

A better stat along the same lines is holing distance.

Eg: i.mite have 27putts but haven't hit many greens in reg but chipped close all day.
Appears as lots of 1 putts but in essence I've just chipped to 2ft all day.

A better stat along the same lines is holing distance.

Eg: i.mite have 27putts but haven't hit many greens in reg but chipped close all day.
Appears as lots of 1 putts but in essence I've just chipped to 2ft all day.
It's just very difficult to measure that when you're playing ( you can estimate if course). If you want to add another telling stat, include GIR to total putts. Another easy one for on the course is shots from 130m. You should be pushing yourself to have no more than 3. If you miss with your drive and need to punch out, you'll still walk off with a bogey (par 4). Point being, short game is king.

It's just very difficult to measure that when you're playing ( you can estimate if course). If you want to add another telling stat, include GIR to total putts. Another easy one for on the course is shots from 130m. You should be pushing yourself to have no more than 3. If you miss with your drive and need to punch out, you'll still walk off with a bogey (par 4). Point being, short game is king.

Why no more than 3 shots from 130?

I reckon i have at least 7 or more on most courses

So am now getting into golf a little seriously again.

Couple of questions for you fellers out there. I am thinking of adding a fairway wood/hybrid but not sure if I need them. I can strike my balls quite long (3 iron 240-250) but was thinking for something off the tee. Would it be something to have a look at and any suggestions?

The other one would be adding a couple of different wedges into the bag. Does anyone else do this? Work well?
I would only use a hybrid if your long iron game isn't up to scratch.

Mizuno, taylor made, titleist

Try them all as they feel different
I love Mizuno irons and use JPX 825's in 4 iron to PW. JPX 850 Gap W. Lob and Sand W are MP-T4. Titleist are probably the best though. Just a little to pricey for my budget.

Has anyone got any advice for how I can increase my distance off the tee? I am only hitting the driver on average about 230m. Or can I only improve this by taking lessons specifically aimed at reducing the leakage of power in my swing?

I love Mizuno irons and use JPX 825's in 4 iron to PW. JPX 850 Gap W. Lob and Sand W are MP-T4. Titleist are probably the best though. Just a little to pricey for my budget.

Has anyone got any advice for how I can increase my distance off the tee? I am only hitting the driver on average about 230m. Or can I only improve this by taking lessons specifically aimed at reducing the leakage of power in my swing?

Is your driver fitted for you?

How far do you hit a 7 iron...Consistently

Remove this Banner Ad

Back