Remove this Banner Ad

Gollo

Club Legend
Jun 4, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Melb Stars
Hey everyone. Welcome to my thread for the 2015 draft. I will be editing my power rankings as the season goes on, as well as giving my take on some of the players who have risen or fallen dramatically over the course of the year. Later, I will probably get around to profiling some of the players. This is my first ever time doing much in terms of thread for a draft, so any advice or constructive criticism regarding my evaluations of players would be much appreciated. I don't have heaps of time to oversee every players' games and performances, however I research a lot on all of these players, and from a stats basis I have quite a heavy understanding of most draftees. Just note that I will not be doing a phantom draft early on, I don't have the inside info on what clubs need to warrant me creating a proper mock draft until mid-October. For now, enjoy!

Last edited:
Phantom Draft (Top 30):
  1. Carlton - Jacob Weitering (195cm, 94kg) KPP
  2. Brisbane - Josh Schache (199cm, 100kg) KPF
  3. Sydney - Callum Mills (bid) (186cm, 80kg) IM
  4. Melbourne - Clayton Oliver (186cm, 87kg) IM
  5. GWS - Jacob Hopper (bid) (186cm, 84kg) IM
  6. Essendon - Darcy Parish (180cm, 74kg) OM
  7. Essendon - Aaron Francis (190cm, 86kg) UTIL
  8. Gold Coast - Wayne Milera (185cm, 75kg) SF/OM
  9. Melbourne - Sam Weideman (196cm, 94kg) KPF
  10. Carlton - Harry McKay (200cm, 85kg) KPF/RUCK
  11. Brisbane - Eric Hipwood (bid) (200cm, 82kg) KPP
  12. Adelaide - Ryan Burton (190cm, 90kg) KPF
  13. GWS - Matthew Kennedy (bid) (187cm, 84kg) IM/MF
  14. Carlton - Charlie Curnow (191cm, 95kg) UTIL
  15. Richmond - Callum Ah Chee (182cm, 71kg) SF
  16. St Kilda - Darcy Tucker (184cm, 78kg) SD/OM
  17. Hawthorn - Kieran Collins (194cm, 100kg) KPD
  18. Brisbane - Ben Keays (bid) (185cm, 82kg) BM
  19. Gold Coast - Harley Balic (186cm, 80kg) BM
  20. North Melbourne - Jade Gresham (178cm, 77kg) BM
  21. Hawthorn - Mitchell Hibberd (191cm, 85kg) MD/BM
  22. Carlton - Riley Bonner (191cm, 85kg) MD/OM
  23. Western Bulldogs - Ben McKay (199cm, 95kg) KPD
  24. Western Bulldogs - Brayden Fiorini (186cm, 75kg) OM
  25. Fremantle - Jesse Glass-McCaster (198cm, 95kg) KPD
  26. West Coast - David Cunningham (183cm, 79kg) OM
  27. Essendon - Rhys Mathieson (185cm, 79kg) IM
  28. Essendon - Tom Cole (185cm, 76kg) SD/OM
  29. North Melbourne - Ryan Clarke (185cm, 84kg) BM
  30. Collingwood - Luke Partington (182cm, 75kg) BM

Last edited:

Every year we make these styled comments and sometimes the recruiters get it wrong and often the mug punters get it wrong as well.

I'LL stick by em....Just as I Stuck by McCartin & Petracca as the clear 1/2 a year ahead of the 2014 draft....And for which the self-same criticisms were leveled.

FWIW LemmingMaster I've been following the U18's kids since before Luke Hodge was drafted....I know a gun when I see one.

Sliders:

Darcy Tucker: Darcy Tucker can play in a range of positions and perform well in all of them, however can't see exactly how he will star in any one at AFL level. He has a decent frame to be a solid extractor, however seems to be more suited to an outside role. I could see him as a nice wingman, but I find he lacks something special, despite his athleticism and skill. His performances in the TAC Cup and U18 Champs have also been not as dominant as many hoped.

Wayne Milera: Wayne Milera has obvious talent, however his performances of late have me worried. He has been extremely quiet in the U18 Champs this year, and his SANFL stats are not much to get excited about. I can see him as a dangerous roving forward, but unless he starts to show more nous as a ball-winner, then I struggle to see him being a major force in the AFL.

Tucker, I watched him on the weekend and he fumbles a little more than I would like for a high draft pick. I will watch him again and see if this is a more common occurrence.
Milera, in the two games I've seen he has been one of the better SA players, his man issue is the ability to play anywhere other than small forward.

I'LL stick by em....Just as I Stuck by McCartin & Petracca as the clear 1/2 a year ahead of the 2014 draft....And for which the self-same criticisms were leveled.

FWIW LemmingMaster I've been following the U18's kids since before Luke Hodge was drafted....I know a gun when I see one.

If you're not already a recruiter, you should apply. Sounds like you have this caper sorted. :)

Bolters:

Rhys Mathieson - TBH, in Rhys Mathieson I see very little attributes that are in any way a liability. Racks up the ball, uses well, marks well, tackles, can kick goals, wins clearances, great inside and outside play and is extremely consistent. He seems to pop up in the bests on a regular basis!

Luke Partington - U18 Champs. Luke Partington’s U18 Championships have been ridiculous. He is better than the standard of the competition, so while his results could be seen as a little diluted, the weight of numbers he puts up are incredible. Major accumulator, kicks goals frequently and looks to be able to have a immediate impact on a game.

Jade Gresham: Most people don't see him like I do. He is unbelievable. He pretty much every good trait a quality player can have. If it weren't for his size, I would liken him to a no. 1-5 pick, and for his height he is quite strong anyway. I have said it before, but his only possible downside, aside from his height, is his kicking, which is reliable enough anyway. I shan't bore the reader with an essay, however I will put up his stats this year, because they need to be seen. TAC Cup avg's: Disposals: 32.71, Marks: 7.29, Tackles: 5.43, Goals: 1, Efficiency: 71%

U18 Champs avg's: Disposals: 24, Marks: 4.5, Tackles: 5.5, Goals, 1, Efficiency 71%

Amazing.

Nash Holmes: At the start of the year, very few people would have been as full of praise for Nash Holmes as many are now. It’s safe to say that he isn’t as naturally talented as other Vic Country midfielders like Dunkley, Tucker and Parish, but somehow he has found a way to outshine them all. He is a classic accumulator, who goes forward and kicks goals. He marks and tackles with frequency, has a very good inside and outside game, disposes well and is utterly consistent.

Matthew Perry: Matthew Perry has fully taken advantage of him going under the radar in this draft year. Perry has serious talent, but seems to be a late bloomer of sorts. Didn’t really star at all as a bottom-ager, where players like Mathieson and O’Kearney did, and as such drifted into the shadows at the beginning of 2015. Now, he has flourished, and brought himself right into the mix of the better players in this draft crop. A very outside-leaning midfielder, he has pretty good disposal use and ball-winning skills, and runs from end to end doing great set-up work, initiating switches and counter-attacks.

Tom Phillips: Tom Phillips has really impressed me this year. Not a majorly talented footballer, he works hard and seems to have very good commitment to his footy. Overlooked last year, he has come back as an overager and been great for Oakleigh Chargers this year. Played 1 game for Vic Metro and looks likely for a few more. Quite like Perry, he is an outside midfielder, playing off a wing or half-back, and is a terrific ball-winner and user. Still very much unknown, he looks more likely for a 4th- 5th or rookie draft selection.

Kade Answerth: Another overager, Kade Answerth has been astounding this year. While solid in 2014, Answerth was overlooked in both drafts and came back looking for another shot at an AFL spot. His talent has not been unnoticed this year. A smaller midfielder type, he has shown up some of his fellow teammates with his tackling intensity and ball-winning skills. One of the things I like is his ability on the inside and outside of a contest, as well as being able to go up forward or down back. He is very versatile and seems to adapt to most positions he plays. His form in the TAC Cup was eye-opening, and berthed him a spot in the Vic Metro lineup, where he has not disappointed. His performances have seen him shoot up many draft boards, and looks quite likely to be picked up in November.

Jackson Volpato: Jackson Volpato is 167cm, yet I still think he can become a cult figure at an AFL club. He is just about as talented, in my opinion, as Caleb Daniel, and his performances at TAC Cup level have been nothing short of ridiculous. Playing for Western Jets, a very weak team in 2015, Volpato has been a shining light, averaging around 25 disposals, 7 tackles and 5 marks, hitting the scoreboard and being incredibly influential. Despite this, he was not selected for the Vic Metro squad, and sadly this leads me to believe that it will be unlikely that he’ll be selected in the National Draft unless he can continue the form he is showing right now and shoot up the radar.

Sliders:

Darcy Parish: Not sure if it's the injury and thus, lack of game time, or my viewing him as a half-back rather than inside mid, but I don't really rate Darcy Parish up with the likes of Keays, Mills, Partington, and Mathieson. IMO he has too many downsides to his game, and they are weighing down his upsides. He has a light frame and is relatively short, not a dominant inside game, not a consistent enough accumulator, not enough tackling prowess, and not a massive leap (less important). I welcome some criticism however in my honest opinion he is not as good as some rate him to be.

Darcy Tucker: Darcy Tucker can play in a range of positions and perform well in all of them, however can't see exactly how he will star in any one at AFL level. He has a decent frame to be a solid extractor, however seems to be more suited to an outside role. I could see him as a nice wingman, but I find he lacks something special, despite his athleticism and skill. His performances in the TAC Cup and U18 Champs have also been not as dominant as many hoped.

Josh Dunkley: Athleticism is so important nowadays, and because of it I think clubs may be somewhat turned off by Josh Dunkley's prospects. His endurance can be improved to an extent, but I think it will be hard for him to become an very good athlete in the future, which is needed to be an elite midfielder. I think of Sydney and Fremantle, and their dominant midfields, and something that stands out is every player's work rate and gut-running to get to every contest, and while Dunkley has huge talent, his athletic prowess (and kicking) sets him back.

Wayne Milera: Wayne Milera has obvious talent, however his performances of late have me worried. He has been extremely quiet in the U18 Champs this year, and his SANFL stats are not much to get excited about. I can see him as a dangerous roving forward, but unless he starts to show more nous as a ball-winner, then I struggle to see him being a major force in the AFL.
I have to disagree with your thoughts on Milera, his last 2 games for SA as Lemmingmaster stated have been very good. I watched him live and he has AFL traits, speed, nice kicking skills, clean and runs to the right spots when leading. You also cant take to much out of his SANFL stats as he's been playing league football for Centrals and they've won 1 game. I saw him play against West Adelaide prior to the championships and he was excellent at HF. Like the rest of your thoughts though so keep up the good work.

Tucker, I watched him on the weekend and he fumbles a little more than I would like for a high draft pick. I will watch him again and see if this is a more common occurrence.
Milera, in the two games I've seen he has been one of the better SA players, his man issue is the ability to play anywhere other than small forward.
Well yes, those reasons are partly why they were 'sliders' in my power rankings.

Awesome effort mate, good to see Gresham getting some more recognition for his efforts.
Absolutely love Gresham, truly talented player and performing ultra-consistently at all levels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

32.Jaydn Brind (181cm, 86kg, SA – West Adelaide, MID/FWD) - Love that you've taken a risk with Brind, I think he is unique and brings a lot to a draft. cant wait to see him tested against VC on Sunday.

32.Jaydn Brind (181cm, 86kg, SA – West Adelaide, MID/FWD) - Love that you've taken a risk with Brind, I think he is unique and brings a lot to a draft. cant wait to see him tested against VC on Sunday.
Played brilliantly last week against WA last week and brings quite a bit to the table as a strong mid/fwd. Has caught the eye of a few and caught really shoot up his draft prospects with more great performances in the Champs.

Milera disappointing? Appreciate the effort you've made but that's just a silly comment. May not accumulate in bulk but his influence is fantastic. Stats mean sfa at this level. Jordan De Goey averaged 14 touches a game last year - wasn't about how much he got it but what he showed with it.

Milera disappointing? Appreciate the effort you've made but that's just a silly comment. May not accumulate in bulk but his influence is fantastic. Stats mean sfa at this level. Jordan De Goey averaged 14 touches a game last year - wasn't about how much he got it but what he showed with it.
Yeah, I suppose it was a bit rash but the point I'm trying to make is that I'd like to see him be able to push up into the midfield, and if he could win more of the ball his game could be taken to another level. At the moment he is simply a roving forward/high half forward player, and if he could push 20+ disposal games consistently with his influence he could become a fantastic AFL player.

Just edited my comments on Milera's ball winning skills, more accurately describe my take on him now.

Bolters:

Rhys Mathieson - TBH, in Rhys Mathieson I see very little attributes that are in any way a liability. Racks up the ball, uses well, marks well, tackles, can kick goals, wins clearances, great inside and outside play and is extremely consistent. He seems to pop up in the bests on a regular basis!

Luke Partington - U18 Champs. Luke Partington’s U18 Championships have been ridiculous. He is better than the standard of the competition, so while his results could be seen as a little diluted, the weight of numbers he puts up are incredible. Major accumulator, kicks goals frequently and looks to be able to have a immediate impact on a game.

Jade Gresham: Most people don't see him like I do. He is unbelievable. He has pretty much every good trait a quality player can have. If it weren't for his size, I would liken him to a no. 1-5 pick, and for his height he is quite strong anyway. I have said it before, but his only possible downside, aside from his height, is his kicking, which is reliable enough anyway. I shan't bore the reader with an essay, however I will put up his stats this year, because they need to be seen. TAC Cup avg's: Disposals: 32.71, Marks: 7.29, Tackles: 5.43, Goals: 1, Efficiency: 71%
U18 Champs avg's: Disposals: 24, Marks: 4.5, Tackles: 5.5, Goals, 1, Efficiency 71%
Amazing.

Nash Holmes: At the start of the year, very few people would have been as full of praise for Nash Holmes as many are now. It’s safe to say that he isn’t as naturally talented as other Vic Country midfielders like Dunkley, Tucker and Parish, but somehow he has found a way to outshine them all. He is a classic accumulator, who goes forward and kicks goals. He marks and tackles with frequency, has a very good inside and outside game, disposes well and is utterly consistent.

Matthew Perry: Matthew Perry has fully taken advantage of him going under the radar in this draft year. Perry has serious talent, but seems to be a late bloomer of sorts. Didn’t really star at all as a bottom-ager, where players like Mathieson and O’Kearney did, and as such drifted into the shadows at the beginning of 2015. Now, he has flourished, and brought himself right into the mix of the better players in this draft crop. A very outside-leaning midfielder, he has pretty good disposal use and ball-winning skills, and runs from end to end doing great set-up work, initiating switches and counter-attacks.

Tom Phillips: Tom Phillips has really impressed me this year. Not a majorly talented footballer, he works hard and seems to have very good commitment to his footy. Overlooked last year, he has come back as an overager and been great for Oakleigh Chargers this year. Played 1 game for Vic Metro and looks likely for a few more. Quite like Perry, he is an outside midfielder, playing off a wing or half-back, and is a terrific ball-winner and user. Still very much unknown, he looks more likely for a 4th- 5th or rookie draft selection.

Kade Answerth: Another overager, Kade Answerth has been astounding this year. While solid in 2014, Answerth was overlooked in both drafts and came back looking for another shot at an AFL spot. His talent has not been unnoticed this year. A smaller midfielder type, he has shown up some of his fellow teammates with his tackling intensity and ball-winning skills. One of the things I like is his ability on the inside and outside of a contest, as well as being able to go up forward or down back. He is very versatile and seems to adapt to most positions he plays. His form in the TAC Cup was eye-opening, and berthed him a spot in the Vic Metro lineup, where he has not disappointed. His performances have seen him shoot up many draft boards, and looks quite likely to be picked up in November.

Jackson Volpato: Jackson Volpato is 167cm, yet I still think he can become a cult figure at an AFL club. He is just about as talented, in my opinion, as Caleb Daniel, and his performances at TAC Cup level have been nothing short of ridiculous. Playing for Western Jets, a very weak team in 2015, Volpato has been a shining light, averaging around 25 disposals, 7 tackles and 5 marks, hitting the scoreboard and being incredibly influential. Despite this, he was not selected for the Vic Metro squad, and sadly this leads me to believe that it will be unlikely that he’ll be selected in the National Draft unless he can continue the form he is showing right now and shoot up the radar.

Sliders:

Darcy Parish: Not sure if it's the injury and thus, lack of game time, or my viewing him as a half-back rather than inside mid, but I don't really rate Darcy Parish up with the likes of Keays, Mills, Partington, and Mathieson. IMO he has too many downsides to his game, and they are weighing down his upsides. He has a light frame and is relatively short, not a dominant inside game, not a consistent enough accumulator, not enough tackling prowess, and not a massive leap (less important). I welcome some criticism however in my honest opinion he is not as good as some of the other talented draftees.

Darcy Tucker: Darcy Tucker can play in a range of positions and perform well in all of them, however can't see exactly how he will star in any one at AFL level. He has a decent frame to be a solid extractor, however seems to be more suited to an outside role. I could see him as a nice wingman or off half-back, but I find he lacks something dominant, despite his athleticism and skill. His performances in the TAC Cup and U18 Champs have also been not as dominant as many hoped, but his form could improve, so watch this space.

Josh Dunkley: Athleticism is so important nowadays, and because of it I think clubs may be somewhat turned off by Josh Dunkley's prospects. His endurance can be improved to an extent, but I think it will be hard for him to become an very good athlete in the future, which is needed to be an elite midfielder. I think of Sydney and Fremantle, and their dominant midfields, and something that stands out is every player's work rate and gut-running to get to every contest, and while Dunkley has huge talent, his athletic prowess (and kicking) sets him back.

Wayne Milera: Wayne Milera has obvious talent, however his performances of late have me a little worried. His distribution and possession numbers in the U18 Champs this year haven't been as good as they could be, and while he has much influence when he does get the ball, he doesn't get it enough to be considered a real match-winner yet. I can see him as a dangerous roving forward, but unless he starts to show more nous as a ball-winner, then I struggle to see him being a major force in the AFL. Just my opinion, but a little versatility can help every AFL player, so if Milera could be pushed into the middle to great effect, he could have massive output on games.

Interesting read, very insightful and most of all very much in sync with much of my views. Mathiesons become to good to escape the top 5. partington lacks the polish of an immediate top 3 but is to good to let escape the top 10. Was hoping someone else rated Gresham highly and bang, ive found it. Volpatos to small i reckon, if he was any taller he would be top 20, he has that potential. Parish, tucker and Dunkley all to slide?? Maybe 2 of them, namely Tucker and Dunkley but would not expect Parish to slide out of the top 8. Hes just got all the attributes to become the next big thing. Tuckers too fumbly for a top pick and i agree hes on the slide. Also agree with the justification on Dunkley, he lacks the aerobic capacity of his fellow prospects and hes not the best decision maker which would put him on the slide. Mileras interesting because from what ive seen of him he looks like he should be able to hold his spot, quick, nimble and can offer a lead reckon he should stay top 15-20. Again this drafts to unpredictable but good see see some people with good insight

Interesting read, very insightful and most of all very much in sync with much of my views. Mathiesons become to good to escape the top 5. partington lacks the polish of an immediate top 3 but is to good to let escape the top 10. Was hoping someone else rated Gresham highly and bang, ive found it. Volpatos to small i reckon, if he was any taller he would be top 20, he has that potential. Parish, tucker and Dunkley all to slide?? Maybe 2 of them, namely Tucker and Dunkley but would not expect Parish to slide out of the top 8. Hes just got all the attributes to become the next big thing. Tuckers too fumbly for a top pick and i agree hes on the slide. Also agree with the justification on Dunkley, he lacks the aerobic capacity of his fellow prospects and hes not the best decision maker which would put him on the slide. Mileras interesting because from what ive seen of him he looks like he should be able to hold his spot, quick, nimble and can offer a lead reckon he should stay top 15-20. Again this drafts to unpredictable but good see see some people with good insight
I see your point of view, and TBH I'm coming around to Parish after his latest U18 Champs performances, but just to note this is my power rankings, not necessarily a phantom draft. I agree that someone like Parish would very likely go top 8, and in a phantom draft I would have players where I think they'd go in the draft, but I have some doubts about him so that's why he was rated a bit lower in my personal power rankings.

Your misgivings on Parish are I think a little miss placed. Several of the recruiters have him top 5 if not not top 2.

Your misgivings on Parish are I think a little miss placed. Several of the recruiters have him top 5 if not not top 2.
I see, and BTW I have had just about 50 people tell me that Parish should be higher rated. Just to clarify, this is my personal power rankings, and is not in any way a phantom draft. I have reasons for Parish being rated a bit lower, and that is identified in my reasoning for him being a 'slider'. Anyone is welcome to challenge my views on him, but I fail to see people's point of view when one says that he should go top 5 in a DRAFT, not a power rankings.

I see, and BTW I have had just about 50 people tell me that Parish should be higher rated. Just to clarify, this is my personal power rankings, and is not in any way a phantom draft. I have reasons for Parish being rated a bit lower, and that is identified in my reasoning for him being a 'slider'. Anyone is welcome to challenge my views on him, but I fail to see people's point of view when one says that he should go top 5 in a DRAFT, not a power rankings.
That's all good Gollo just pointing out in this case your ranking of Parish might be off a little.

That's all good Gollo just pointing out in this case your ranking of Parish might be off a little.
Yeah, I still have my doubts about him, but his performances in the U18 Champs are making me come around to him a little. I'll keep watch on him a bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back