Review Good, Bad and Ugly v Gold Coast

Yeah they do record everything in 1080, and just because some farmer out back of Wedderburn doesn't have a HD TV means they cant/wont broadcast in full 1080p

Yeah I don't really understand why Channel 7 don't broadcast the AFL on their HD channel, it's not like they couldn't broadcast on both 7 and 7mate considering the AFL is usually a big drawcard in the timeslot. Turning Channel 7 itself into a second HD channel is difficult for a range of technological reasons.

SmegHead

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah I don't really understand why Channel 7 don't broadcast the AFL on their HD channel, it's not like they couldn't broadcast on both 7 and 7mate considering the AFL is usually a big drawcard in the timeslot. Turning Channel 7 itself into a second HD channel is difficult for a range of technological reasons.

Considering 10 shows Family Feud on 10, Eleven and One at the same time :mad::thumbsdown:, I don't think people would care much that a game is on 2 channels at the same time. I know plenty of people that haven't yet realised or don't care that 7two, 7mate, Gem and Go exist.

little graham

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Last year and to an extent this year, our intensity was up one week, down the next. The last two weeks, we've been up an about, it's been good. Some thought we turned a corner after overrunning Brisbane in Brisbane.

When Day flattened Dangerfield in the last two minutes, we responded in kind, like we rarely do.This group is galvanizing.

Another bad start. Only two goals this week, could of been worse, they had a strong breeze.

The race with Geelong for Dangerfields signature and finals,considering we play them in the last round, could get ugly.

spexau

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Watched most of the replay. Shaw and Hartigan had horrid starts but I think they both worked themselves into the game nicely. Remembering that Shaw hasn't played an AFL game for more than 12 months and he probably didn't have the ideal preparation being a late emergency. Hard to blame Hartigan too much for Dixon. The man is an absolute monster and looks to have a good couple inches on Harto and would have 5kgs easy too.

Lever is an absolute star already. What a recruit!

Good
Who TF is Nakia Cockatoo??

Bad
Shaw's first half…holy s**t that was bad. Very lucky T Lynch went into the backline in the last or Shaw might not have recovered.

Ugly
Our fixture leading up to finals. Don't think we'll make it, unless everything goes right….for a ****ing change.
We are better than 50/50 to make it ad we hardly have a difficult fixture.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just on another note - Welcome back to some serious form Dick Douglas.

Has had a great few weeks and adds some nice polish to our midfield... :thumbsu:

Such a positive for him to be hitting form; he was the difference in that last quarter.

He's also the perfect example of why McKay is so frustrating; McKay might get 15 touches, but they're soft touches - they aren't damaging or dangerous, they don't hurt the opposition.

Dougy - you get massive value for touches; 15 of his touches are normally deadly.

Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
What's not difficult about swans in Sydney, Richmond, for us, anywhere, West Coast at any time let alone when they're sitting 2nd/3rd on the ladder, and Geelong at Geelong? That's a very big run home. Bombers are no certainty for us at etihad, we've been putrid for years against them there. We'll do a number on Brisbane but the others, sheesh, not easy at all.

knobby

Premiership Player
Sep 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
Yep, we've had a few things go against us this year, but the fixture ain't one of them. If we can't get 4 wins out of Sydney, Richmond, Essendon, Lions, Eagles, and Cats we don't deserve it.

I think we are a huge chance next week against Sydney an extra days rest and they will be coming back from Perth hopefully west coast don't smash them too hard today so the perceived bloods culture doesn't get a run against us !

May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I think we are a huge chance next week against Sydney an extra days rest and they will be coming back from Perth hopefully west coast don't smash them too hard today so the perceived bloods culture doesn't get a run against us !
Doing the AFL ladder predictor, I reckon if we win 3 we can finsih 8th but we need some good results to go our way for the Bulldogs and GWS. If we get 4 wins, 6th looks likely

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
How difficult/costly would it be to fit tremor sensors to the goalposts so they detect any nick by the ball? Either that or just use the Hot Spot cameras like the cricket?

Cheap ass Channel 7/Foxtel. The AFL needs to demand HD everything in the next broadcast deal.

At least if they went HD cameras when they zoomed in to see if it was touched the image wouldn't look like something produced from my Commodore 64.

Crowbots are dead

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Good

Bad
Shaw's first half…holy s**t that was bad. Very lucky T Lynch went into the backline in the last or Shaw might not have recovered.

Ugly
Our fixture leading up to finals. Don't think we'll make it, unless everything goes right….for a ****ing change.
disagree. We are in the box seat. Will be an epic Fail if we bomb out from here. Need a couple of top 8 scalps

Sep 7, 2005
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Rams, UCLA Bruins
Such a positive for him to be hitting form; he was the difference in that last quarter.

He's also the perfect example of why McKay is so frustrating; McKay might get 15 touches, but they're soft touches - they aren't damaging or dangerous, they don't hurt the opposition.

Dougy - you get massive value for touches; 15 of his touches are normally deadly.

If Dougie is touching it, it's normally heading into our F50..... with a decent leg behind it....

Roo Lives Again

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

You're the eternal optimist. Our schedule here on out is really tough. Turn the ball over like we always seem to do and we could get smashed in our remaining games. Sydney in Sydney, Richmond, West Coast...not sure what your idea of tough is...

May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
Good
Douglas and Sloane kicking goals allowing me to buy back into the goal kicking contest
Really like what Douglas has added in the past two game.
Cameron looks better and better. His confidence is really building. Love him and Betts together
Laird. This man has come on in leaps and bounds. Doesn't get much recognition from the media
Happy to see us run out the game in the manner that we did. I said earlier that this was a danger game and that we should assume we would win. So relieved with the result.
Good to see Sloane back and getting into the game
Danger, Jacobs
Cant forget Lever

Bad
Disposal, Disposal, Disposal. So many stupid kicks and handball. Admittedly when it comes off it does look good
Jenkins and Cameron missing set shots in the third quarter. If we had kicked those two goals I believe it would have demoralised the Suns and the result would have been all over at 3qtr time instead of being only 9 points

Ugly (for the suns)
Lynch's attack
Laird actually gets a lot of recognition from the media now, Victorian's included. Many are talking up his AA chances, and I think Lloyd may have even had him in his rolling AA team on TFS at one stage (might still be).

hendo8888

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide 36ers
The Good:
Richy Douglas to start that last quarter. Best 15 mins of his career.
Charlie Cameron was brilliant all day. Looked like Betts and Cameron changed roles yesterday.
Laird. We expect it now, but doesn't make it any less impressive. 32 a career high?
Jake Lever is going to be something special. A lot sooner than we ever imagined.
Dangerfield is a hell of a footballer.
Goal kicking aside, that was a very good game by Jenkins. It was a bit interesting that Jenkins and Charlie were the central forwards, with Walker and Betts playing secondary yesterday. Makes us very potent up forward when they have to seriously worry about all 4 of them. When Betts and Walker still kick 5 between them as the secondary options, that's just icing.
Our forward line structure as a unit. Just seemed to gel really well together.
Our midfield was a similar story. Danger, Thompson and Jacobs just works.
Having Rory Sloane back. I remember thinking in that first half 'the team just looks so much better with Rory playing'.

The Bad:
We like kicking to that 'Eddie Betts Pocket' a little too much. Gets a bit predictable.
We had quite a few passengers, especially early.
Lynch wasn't great tbh.
Smith is still a ways off his best. Had a good last quarter, but was largely invisible for the first 3 quarters. That play when he turned his opponent inside-out, then kicked it OOF kind of summed up his season.
We gave up the first 2 goals of the game... again.
We didn't really have an answer for Bennell. He's a hell of a player when he wants to be.
Ablett getting injured. Sure, it helped us, but you never want to see the guns get injuries like that. Especially after the year he's had. I'd rather beat GC with him playing, than without him.

The Ugly:
I honestly didn't think Wright was out there for the vast majority of the day.
Hendo... That period in the 3rd(?) quarter where he just got scared to catch the ball.
Sam Shaw and Hartigan were just man-handled by Lynch and Dixon. The delivery was quite good, but they still just got absolutely destroyed every time the ball was in the area. Shaw got better as the game wore on, but that first half was just painful.

Side note:
I actually didn't think Mackay was that bad yesterday. Apart from that kick that went up in the air, then out of bounds, he did some good things.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
We
Good

Bad

Ugly
Need pinch an upset in Sydney or geelong then we will be cooking

hendo8888

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide 36ers
Laird actually gets a lot of recognition from the media now, Victorian's included. Many are talking up his AA chances, and I think Lloyd may have even had him in his rolling AA team on TFS at one stage (might still be).
He brought him and Dangerfield back into the team today (how he had Masten and Neale in the team over Dangerfield I'll never know).

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
A few of our players can't handball with their wrong hand.

Sam Shaw got caught holding the ball in the middle of the ground because he tried to do a left handed handball to the left. Another player got done in the Eddie Betts pocket a bit later (can't remember who but will watch the replay later today and name and shame).

VSTone

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 17, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
A few of our players can't handball with their wrong hand.

Sam Shaw got caught holding the ball in the middle of the ground because he tried to do a left handed handball to the left. Another player got done in the Eddie Betts pocket a bit later (can't remember who but will watch the replay later today and name and shame).

it freaks me out that so called professionals can't dispose of the ball on both sides of the body by leg and hand, it simply astounds me.

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yep the way they are rocking the frames and zooming in is making the vision more blurry and less definitive resulting in an umpires call. Score revue will continue to be contentious until clearer vision becomes available.
It's so simple to me - just have two goal umpires ... one on each post. It would be cheaper than any of the tech stuff - there would be no reviews.

Why is this so hard for a professional sport like AFL to do?

Back