Good free virus protection?

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been using AVG for years now and would recommend it to anyone
Yep have AVG free running on my windows machines and does the job.

Also have Malware Bytes which I run scans with now and then.

Fortunately I'm not subjected to windows too often.

There was a period I didn't have any virus protection for over a year, and never had any problems with my computer. It was just a crappy ex-government one that I browsed the Internet with. but it made me think the threat of viruses isn't as high as people make out (but I guess it depends what websites you visit & what you download). I have Norton now only because a family member purchased it. But, yeah, AVG is usually the recommended free anti-virus and I have used it in the past without problems

There was a period I didn't have any virus protection for over a year, and never had any problems with my computer. It was just a crappy ex-government one that I browsed the Internet with. but it made me think the threat of viruses isn't as high as people make out (but I guess it depends what websites you visit & what you download). I have Norton now only because a family member purchased it. But, yeah, AVG is usually the recommended free anti-virus and I have used it in the past without problems
You are right in that it is usually the operator of the computer that is the problem.

The biggest offenders are people who just install software blindly and also just click the default installation options which usually involve some third party software.

That being said you can still very much get malware and other unintended software onto your computer despite all precautions. My brother being a prime candidate.

http://thehackernews.com/2014/01/asus-wireless-router-leaves-usb-storage.html - a load of people found a text file on the root directory of their USB drives saying that they're system was vulnerable etc,.

The other thing that has been happening lately is people buying out Chrome and Firefox extensions from the developer than completely changing the source code and inserting adware.

I would recommend just buying one; from experience, I once had Avast, used it fine for about 6 months, around 6 months I get a virus. FTW, can't do jack, Avast couldn't fix it properly. Wipe the PC, then I go for AVG. Needless to say after 3 months, same thing, virus everywhere (this may say too much about my browsing habits?). Not only do they not catch the virus definitions, but they don't even scan or fix them properly. I also had Malwarebytes installed.

I ended up going Kaspersky after that, and since then, what about 4 years now, not one virus, or any issue. The paid products have larger definition database, more features for protection, and just overall run smoother. Norton used to be a performance hog but that's changed since 2011 or so.

Kaspersky is $64 now at JB for a 2 year licence BTW.

I used Norton and it actually corrupted my computer. 5 years now without a virus protector and yet to receive a virus on the computer.... although the computer did die but from overheating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5 years now without a virus protector and yet to receive a virus on the computer

Same here, haven't used any sort of antivirus for 6-7 years, it's extremely easy to get away with it if you know what you're doing.

If I do have a problem one day I'll just reformat, only takes me an hour or so to have everything back to the way it was before.

No Anti Virus is a big call. There are other methods to get into your system and even legit sites can have things done to them which take time to detect.

AVG Free for Windows for me, but I am on Linux 95% of the time and ClamAV does the job there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back