Opinion GOOD FRIDAY FOOTBALL AT ADELAIDE OVAL?

Remove this Banner Ad

43309591.jpg

However,

As long as Steven Trigg and Rob Chapman are still in charge of this club, we will not get a good Friday game as a hosting club. We maybe lucky enough to be an away team in Victoria or for the late game in Perth but we will not host it in Adelaide.

That will not happen. We are still on the nose at AFL house.

My early predictions are - 4:00 kick off between North Melbourne and Carlton and then a 7:15 game in Perth between a WA club and anyone else. (it won't be a derby)

Trigg: Hey AFL, we'd like to play footy at Adelaide Oval on Good Friday.
AFL: That's an awesome idea! The only change is that we'll give it to Port instead, they need the money more. Also, because you didn't suggest giving it to Port in the first place we're stripping your first pick in 2014 for equalization purposes.
Trigg: No problem, would you like our second pick too?
AFL: Sure, why not.

Trigg: Hey AFL, we'd like to play footy at Adelaide Oval on Good Friday.
AFL: That's an awesome idea! The only change is that we'll give it to Port instead, they need the money more. Also, because you didn't suggest giving it to Port in the first place we're stripping your first pick in 2014 for equalization purposes and you're fired.
Trigg: No problem, how about we give your our second pick so I can keep my job?
AFL: Sure, why not.

Fixed for accuracy.

I think this ones all Rucci, he's been talking about it for weeks. Last week he did the maths on when the season starts and ground availability and came to the conclusion that we pretty much have to host a Good Friday season opener.

Probably just setting us up for another fail.

I cannot fathom why good friday footy is not a regular feature of the AFL fixture. What are Demetriou's reasons for not allowing it? Is it because we don't want to offend the poor old religious people in the country?

News flash Vlad, we are becoming more secular by the day and no one cares.

Would love it but fear it's got about as much chance of happening as that ANZAC day game did.

It's about time some blockbuster time slots were given to non MCG games though.

No problems on the religious side of things, plenty of days that mean something to someone that Football is played on.

Would it not be the best place to play Good Friday in the City of Churches????

I would think this is how the Crows should sell the idea to the AFL.

Whether I am religious or not is irrelevant to the argument of Good Friday football, the bottom line is that the majority of AFL supporters I can confidently say are not religious ie Christian (in relation to Good Friday thats all that matters). I actually dont see a problem with Good Friday football played at say 7pm would be perfect, allows everyone to spend time with family. Which in essence is what the day has become.

Unless of course you are like me that prays to God for their team to win a game.:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damien Barrett on the footy show just said Good Friday is very close and more than likely happen at Edithad Stadium as a twilight game.

Guess we have missed out again.

They won't give interstate clubs marquee games.

It won't happen.

Good Friday will be like ANZAC Day. Could draw big crowds. Why would the AFL give an interstate club a leg up against a travelling Vic club. Possibly a financially struggling Vic club.

WBD vs Norf at the Dome. Hot cash injection (if it works)

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

How about this, its a crazy idea but... how about instead of either giving it to the same two big clubs like ANZAC day, or using it for a boring team to make some cash like Queens Birthday give it to two teams that earn it on a yearly basis, the grand finalists held at the home of the premiers.

How about this, its a crazy idea but... how about instead of either giving it to the same two big clubs like ANZAC day, or using it for a boring team to make some cash like Queens Birthday give it to two teams that earn it on a yearly basis, the grand finalists held at the home of the premiers.
It's Norf v Carlton lock it in, melbourne centric as usual

I want footy on Good Friday but not the crows, we always go away for Easter so I would miss this game on a personal level.

Also a regular Friday night game at AO would be 100% better, maximum crowd, people pouring down from the city after work. Good Friday in the city is a ghost town.

More Friday night games through the year please - not Good Friday though.

Footy on Good Friday !!! arrgghh now when can I watch re-runs of Judge Judy, How I Met your Mother and Big Bang Theory

Queen's Birthday should not be between Melbourne and Collingwood. There is no tradition as those two only started playing there in 2000 and Melbourne simply do not deserve a marquee fixture. That is one that should certainly be shared around.

Snorefest. Gonna be some Melbourne Children's Hospital local charity game btw North and Bulldogs. Too many have said it now for it not to be true. Way to minimise the exposure AFL :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back