Opinion GOOD FRIDAY FOOTBALL AT ADELAIDE OVAL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anybody else find it strange that Demetriou considers getting AFL back to a redeveloped Adelaide Oval as his biggest achievement during his tenure as CEO of the AFL, yet doesn't seem to want to schedule any blockbuster games here to show it off?

Does anybody else find it strange that Demetriou considers getting AFL back to a redeveloped Adelaide Oval as his biggest achievement during his tenure as CEO of the AFL, yet doesn't seem to want to schedule any blockbuster games here to show it off?

It really is pathetic that we get no decent games until round 6 PA vs Cats & rd 9 Crows v Pies, the rubbish teams that we have played so far are a joke and so much for getting lots of visiting supporters to visit our state and the new oval!

We have no chance of getting a game guys, the Melbourne Media is all over it, pushing hard for the No support Melbourne teams like Bulldogs, North Melb etc fighting over it, with the late comer now being Essendon looking the favourite to host the game now. No mention of any interstate teams at all.

The AFC would be better off pushing for another day, whether it be more Thursday nights or a night game on ANZAC Day next year which falls on a Saturday

Yes, The main problem I have is that if Vlad is so chuffed at the new AO, why has there not be one national, free to air TV exposure of it. Kind of ridiculous that last Sat night we get Hawks v Suns from the Gold Coast on Ch 7, yawwwn. I would have thought no doubt that the R1 showdown, be shown free to air around the whole country, but no, the AFL has seemed to introduce legislation that no Showdown or western derby is ever allowed to be telecast on free to air TV again.

I wonder if this will damage future growth of the AFL. All we see on free to air TV (for people without foxtel) is the same Victorian clubs who have now lost all geographic and cultural differences, play each other at the same 2 grounds, its bloody boring. I know full well that Victorians are secretly interested in showdowns, but there hasn't been 1 on free to air for well over 5 years

Yes, The main problem I have is that if Vlad is so chuffed at the new AO, why has there not be one national, free to air TV exposure of it. Kind of ridiculous that last Sat night we get Hawks v Suns from the Gold Coast on Ch 7, yawwwn. I would have thought no doubt that the R1 showdown, be shown free to air around the whole country, but no, the AFL has seemed to introduce legislation that no Showdown or western derby is ever allowed to be telecast on free to air TV again.

I wonder if this will damage future growth of the AFL. All we see on free to air TV (for people without foxtel) is the same Victorian clubs who have now lost all geographic and cultural differences, play each other at the same 2 grounds, its bloody boring. I know full well that Victorians are secretly interested in showdowns, but there hasn't been 1 on free to air for well over 5 years

Last years showdown. Yes that one. Was on 7 around the nation. 3pm slot on a Sunday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it's looking like Essendon vs someone or maybe Carlton vs the Kangaroos.

I'm shocked.

Why would anyone be shocked, Victoria is the only state in Australia (its what they all think anyway!), so much so that they think their bloody Children's Hospital Appeal is a nationwide important event! No one cares!!

Why they won't play two games is beyond me, they could do nobody WB vs nobody NM at 4:40pm at Etihad and Crows vs Hawks/Coll/Ess at 7:20pm at Adelaide Oval, we would sell out the game at get 53,000 there. No one is going to give a s**t about watching two no name teams on TV, if they play the rubbish melb teams they wouldn't even get 35000 there!

Gotta say I can't work out why I keep reading how wastrels like North "deserve" good ******* friday fixturing.

Based on ******* what? How do they deserve that any more than I deserve bum sex with scarlet johansen? (Which is different because I do deserve that!)

Seriously though, what possible basis could be there for why they deserve such things

Seems very entitled to me

Article just published on Adelaidenow for tomorrow's Tiser - at least we are giving it a go - well done Chappy.

ADELAIDE is ramping up its bid for the AFL’s first Good Friday clash undeterred by the Victorian push - and perhaps favouritism - to break the Easter taboo.

And as more and more Melbourne-based clubs line-up for next year’s season-opening game on the Easter weekend, Crows chairman Rob Chapman is hopeful the redeveloped Adelaide Oval will be Adelaide’s trump card.

The Oval is clear of World Cup one-day cricket from March 20 - a fortnight before the April 3 opener for next year’s AFL season.

By contrast, the MCG is booked for the cricket until March 29 giving the AFL just five days to remove the drop-in pitches and prepare the G for football.

“In our favour is Adelaide Oval being available,” Chapman said on Friday.

“We have checked - and the Oval’s availability allows us to put our best foot forward for the AFL season-opener to be in Adelaide.

The AFL, however, does have Etihad Stadium in Melbourne on offer for a Good Friday clash with the most likely being North Melbourne playing Carlton in a twilight game.

Essendon and the Western Bulldogs also are making their cases for hosting a Good Friday game next season.

This leaves Adelaide to consider pushing for the AFL season-opener at the Oval on Thursday, April 2. Thursday night football is the new timeslot the Crows are eagerly testing this season.

“We don’t reject any options,” Chapman said on Friday.

“And (Easter) Thursday night is way better than what we have got this Easter.”

Adelaide hosts the AFL’s newest franchise, Greater Western Sydney, at the Oval at 12.40pm on Sunday — the most unpopular timeslot among football fans.

Chapman suggests a crowd of 30,000 “would be a good number in a tough timeslot when people are in the middle of school holidays”.

Chapman revealed Adelaide’s intent to chase the Good Friday timeslot in The Advertiseron April 7.

He admits playing AFL football on a sacred religious date has challenged his personal beliefs.

“But as a club we think it is time,” Chapman said.

“We respect (the religious debate) and on a personal level I have had that reflection on playing football on Good Friday.

But we’re seeing the NRL (rugby league), A-League (soccer) and even the SANFL play on Good Friday.

“They are getting a foothold where the AFL cannot afford that to happen. The AFL needs to look at that.

“As a club, we have to put our fans’ and members’ wishes at the forefront of everything we do.

“But we also respect the religious view - so we will make calls to religious leaders and find a way to ensure the day is still about religious reflection.

“We would not push for a game that starts before twilight (4.10pm).”

Article just published on Adelaidenow for tomorrow's Tiser - at least we are giving it a go - well done Chappy.

ADELAIDE is ramping up its bid for the AFL’s first Good Friday clash undeterred by the Victorian push - and perhaps favouritism - to break the Easter taboo.

And as more and more Melbourne-based clubs line-up for next year’s season-opening game on the Easter weekend, Crows chairman Rob Chapman is hopeful the redeveloped Adelaide Oval will be Adelaide’s trump card.

The Oval is clear of World Cup one-day cricket from March 20 - a fortnight before the April 3 opener for next year’s AFL season.

By contrast, the MCG is booked for the cricket until March 29 giving the AFL just five days to remove the drop-in pitches and prepare the G for football.

“In our favour is Adelaide Oval being available,” Chapman said on Friday.

“We have checked - and the Oval’s availability allows us to put our best foot forward for the AFL season-opener to be in Adelaide.

The AFL, however, does have Etihad Stadium in Melbourne on offer for a Good Friday clash with the most likely being North Melbourne playing Carlton in a twilight game.

Essendon and the Western Bulldogs also are making their cases for hosting a Good Friday game next season.

This leaves Adelaide to consider pushing for the AFL season-opener at the Oval on Thursday, April 2. Thursday night football is the new timeslot the Crows are eagerly testing this season.

“We don’t reject any options,” Chapman said on Friday.

“And (Easter) Thursday night is way better than what we have got this Easter.”

Adelaide hosts the AFL’s newest franchise, Greater Western Sydney, at the Oval at 12.40pm on Sunday — the most unpopular timeslot among football fans.

Chapman suggests a crowd of 30,000 “would be a good number in a tough timeslot when people are in the middle of school holidays”.

Chapman revealed Adelaide’s intent to chase the Good Friday timeslot in The Advertiseron April 7.

He admits playing AFL football on a sacred religious date has challenged his personal beliefs.

“But as a club we think it is time,” Chapman said.

“We respect (the religious debate) and on a personal level I have had that reflection on playing football on Good Friday.

But we’re seeing the NRL (rugby league), A-League (soccer) and even the SANFL play on Good Friday.

“They are getting a foothold where the AFL cannot afford that to happen. The AFL needs to look at that.

“As a club, we have to put our fans’ and members’ wishes at the forefront of everything we do.

“But we also respect the religious view - so we will make calls to religious leaders and find a way to ensure the day is still about religious reflection.

“We would not push for a game that starts before twilight (4.10pm).”

Difficult yo keep up with this bloke. 'Fans and members' now, I thought we were customers.

I sort of hope you get something over Easter as it means we will never have to bother eith easter home games again, and it would help lock us in to continue to pay tribute to the ANZACs. but if Robs best argument is that Adelaide oval is free in the weekend then I wish you luck as you will need it.
Hes come to the table 'years' late but claims he wants to be on the front foot with it... he doesn't seem to know what he wants or what the club should do with the gsme (should the club play good friday or the thursday .... which Brisbane seems to own anyway), who does he propose to play etc.
Hes up against clubs that have put together full models. ... including opponents, charity involvement, yet his best argument is the oval is free ? (I haven't checked but im guessing ethihad will be free that weekend as well for north)

Well, in fairness to chapman (who should be gone), he's the chairman and shouldn't really have been particularly involved. As soon as vlad was on the out, it was reasonably clear that Good Friday footy was going to be on the agenda. That's where our forward thinking super-CEO should have reached into his top drawer and pulled out his 5 page proposal which would have included opposition agreements etc.

Our club, not yours Malibu, sure has a strange definition of getting on the front foot.

Forgetting about us, why the * is Essendon even being mentioned in the media as a possibility?
They already have the Dreamtime game vs Richmond AND Anzac Day..

Then they have the recent scandal, the biggest in AFL history, and they are being talked about being rewarded with the Good Friday game?
I heard it being talked up as the big 1st game back for James Hird and that could help them with getting the game..

He didn't do some amazing volunteer work in a war zone, he didn't go through a recent life threatening situation or save the world in some way..
He was suspended for being part of a ******* drug program..
FFS seriously..

Forgetting about us, why the **** is Essendon even being mentioned in the media as a possibility?
They already have the Dreamtime game vs Richmond AND Anzac Day..

Then they have the recent scandal, the biggest in AFL history, and they are being talked about being rewarded with the Good Friday game?
I heard it being talked up as the big 1st game back for James Hird and that could help them with getting the game..

He didn't do some amazing volunteer work in a war zone, he didn't go through a recent life threatening situation or save the world in some way..
He was suspended for being part of a ******* drug program..
FFS seriously..
Quoted for emphasis. I can't believe Essendon is being touted as the favourite for this. Wrong in all sorts of ways.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back