• Total voters
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I agree these 2 clubs most deserve it

deserve it ? .... more like put up or get off the pot !! It would be the height of stupidity to lock in any 2 clubs, the FIXture is so compromised by locked in games without making it worse.

Alfredo Rojas

Pain&Gain
Jun 21, 2014
Altona
AFL Club
GWS
deserve it ? .... more like put up or get off the pot !! It would be the height of stupidity to lock in any 2 clubs, the FIXture is so compromised by locked in games without making it worse.
Agree, nothing's ever a guarantee just all options though

BluesMan

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea, B.Celtics
Why does it matter? And since when does it have to be an annual thing that only 2 teams play it? Why not just make it a rotating event, i.e. just a normal friday night game?
Nothing special about the day anyway... :p

Alfredo Rojas

Pain&Gain
Jun 21, 2014
Altona
AFL Club
GWS
Why does it matter? And since when does it have to be an annual thing that only 2 teams play it? Why not just make it a rotating event, i.e. just a normal friday night game?
Nothing special about the day anyway... :p
Of course will be special, not any normal Friday game

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I would obviously hope that the doggies got an opportunity with a game like this, but I don't see any reason why it needs to be the same teams every year. Start with Dogs v North maybe, see how it goes and then rotate around clubs who don't get loads of prime slots already.

I think having two games will work well - one afternoon and one evening, maybe one with Vic clubs and the other an interstate derby.

Basically, I'm just glad there will be footy on and that there's a decent chance the Doggies will play in a prime slot for once.

Alfredo Rojas

Pain&Gain
Jun 21, 2014
Altona
AFL Club
GWS
I would obviously hope that the doggies got an opportunity with a game like this, but I don't see any reason why it needs to be the same teams every year. Start with Dogs v North maybe, see how it goes and then rotate around clubs who don't get loads of prime slots already.

I think having two games will work well - one afternoon and one evening, maybe one with Vic clubs and the other an interstate derby.

Basically, I'm just glad there will be footy on and that there's a decent chance the Doggies will play in a prime slot for once.
If you had 2 games going, one in Vic, one interstate who would you have playing in each ?

Alfredo Rojas

Pain&Gain
Jun 21, 2014
Altona
AFL Club
GWS
I personally would have Doggies v NM and either Freo v WC or Port v Adelaide - at least in year 1. Then see how we go.
Highly doubt have a derby on Good Friday interstate... So much, as mentioned its already big and a full house, Good Friday won't make the occasion bigger for that occasion when those teams face off... I'd like to see Swans vs Suns if excitement is a factor a local derby in Vic between 2 small clubs

Alfredo Rojas

Pain&Gain
Jun 21, 2014
Altona
AFL Club
GWS
Who says they have to? Why does it have to be about the RCH?
You'd think if having a game on a significant religious holiday it should involve a charitable component to it. Or else just be any other Friday night game but it has meaning to it hence why some clubs put their hands up will donate major earnings to the RCH

You've missed over half the league in that poll?

Fwiw, I think Freo vs West Coast
He did say 'Teams are ones that at one stage or another been linked to event', however did not say where. The Bendigo Chronicle?
I'm taken with Fremantle and Port at the MCG as Kram81 suggested. But then perhaps that could be saved for the end of Ramadan, Chinese New Year, Yom Kippur or any other special ethnic/religious day?

Alfredo Rojas

Pain&Gain
Jun 21, 2014
Altona
AFL Club
GWS
I'd have two games. North and the Dogs in Melbourne and Suns and GWS on the Gold Coast. The latter will have amazing clashes in three or four years time when they are both up the top of the ladder
That is very good point you have made, best one so far

Suns v GWS... Looking ahead over next 10 years, only reason i don't see it happening just yet is because of how long clubs have been lobbying, I think Suns will get a look but sadly not the Giants. So much to weigh up for northern state teams, all 4 teams been handed out soo many freebies. Don't think GWS have established enough culture to merit the game

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
You'd think if having a game on a significant religious holiday it should involve a charitable component to it. Or else just be any other Friday night game but it has meaning to it hence why some clubs put their hands up will donate major earnings to the RCH
Not everyone is religious, so to most Australians these days it is just another Friday, albiet a public holiday. The whole RCH thing is a very Victorian centric way to think about it. The RCH makes plenty of money from the appeal without this game. I think we should leave religion & charity out of it.

Alfredo Rojas

Pain&Gain
Jun 21, 2014
Altona
AFL Club
GWS
Not everyone is religious, so to most Australians these days it is just another Friday, albiet a public holiday. The whole RCH thing is a very Victorian centric way to think about it. The RCH makes plenty of money from the appeal without this game. I think we should leave religion & charity out of it.
I understand what your saying and agree to some extent however you have to look at it the way AFL will try set it up, or else they will be seen as taking TV time off channel 7 Good Friday appeal, looks better if there contributing as well to the religious population

Back