Good Friday Football

Two teams you think should play on Good Friday

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

deserve it ? .... more like put up or get off the pot !! It would be the height of stupidity to lock in any 2 clubs, the FIXture is so compromised by locked in games without making it worse.

As all clubs play each at least once a year having two teams meet each other every Good Friday compromises nothing, they have to meet sometime.

For mine north and the dogs, play each other year in year out.

They begged for a marquee game, lobbied for this exact game and told everyone in earshot that it will sellout year after year.

If it works they get much needed exposure and funds. If it fails, combining this failure along with queens birthday game might be enough to finally have the AFL get rid of locked in "blockbusters" once and for all.

They begged for a marquee game, lobbied for this exact game and told everyone in earshot that it will sellout year after year.

If it works they get much needed exposure and funds. If it fails, combining this failure along with queens birthday game might be enough to finally have the AFL get rid of locked in "blockbusters" once and for all.

Thoughts on the Blues? They have also lobbied for sometime? Do you think should get consideration or do you think Dogs need it more?

Thoughts on the Blues? They have also lobbied for sometime? Do you think should get consideration or do you think Dogs need it more?

For mine it's that both the dogs and north need a marquee game.

The blues don't you have major corporate support a massive rivalry with Collingwood (largest rivalry east of Horsham) and something like 45k+ members, a good deal at etihad.
Plenty of good timeslots.

If marquee games are what they are cracked up to be, it should go to these two clubs. Give them a go see what they can make of it.

For mine it's that both the dogs and north need a marquee game.

The blues don't you have major corporate support a massive rivalry with Collingwood (largest rivalry east of Horsham) and something like 45k+ members, a good deal at etihad.
Plenty of good timeslots.

If marquee games are what they are cracked up to be, it should go to these two clubs. Give them a go see what they can make of it.

I agree with you, reason being all the top vic clubs eg. pies, tigers, hawks, dons & blues occupy and have regular games at the G... When ever these clubs play its a block buster in itself (MCG Blockbusters)... if the game which is most likely to be played at Etihad where the smaller clubs reside, Good Friday match should involve 2 teams who play regularly at Etihad making it a (Etihad Blockbuster) for a change... If AFL is serious about helping the smaller clubs this is their chance to prove it with North & Dogs

I hope they make it Roos vs Dogs so we can finally put this "marquee day it'll sell out with neutrals" crap to bed.

Right, only big clubs should get anything other than regular games, right? :rolleyes:

Uhh... Western Bulldogs != Carlton. o_O

Right, only big clubs should get anything other than regular games, right? :rolleyes:

Depends what the occasion is, when it comes for $$$$ to the AFL then yes makes sense big clubs face off but when its for a charity event give the battling clubs a chance, case might be smaller clubs are deprived of exposure and tv time

I consider the FIXture compromised , lets use a draw, you want to further compromise the FIX, to each his own.

Of course the fixture is compromised, it's already rigged, but having 2 teams playing each other every Good Friday does not play into that because, as I pointed out before, they have to play each other some time, how does playing on a particular day compromise things any further? What compromises the draw is unequal fixtures that are hand picked every year. As an aside I believe this below is only fair way for the fixtures to run;

There is only one fair system with 18 teams and roughly 22 rounds.

Each team plays every other team 4 times over about a 3 year period (two 22 round seasons and one 23 round season).

First year you play the other 17 teams once and then 5 of them once more, as happens now (though who you play twice is not randomly chosen). The next year you again play each team once plus a new group of 5 teams twice. Year three you play all once plus the 6 remaining teams (those you haven't yet played twice in a year) two times. To stick with the fairness aspect when you enter the 2nd rotation of 3 years of fixtures you reverse the home teams. This means that over 6 years each team plays each other team 8 times and each gets 4 home games and 4 away games against each opponent.

The simplest way to construct this would be to simply order teams in alphabetical order (though any order would suffice, based on geography so Vic teams don't get lumped with an overabundance or shortage of interstate trips). Doing this in Year 1 Adelaide play all teams then have 2nd up clashes with Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Fremantle and Geelong. The following year they play all once then again play GWS, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, Melbourne and North. Third year they play all teams once then a second game against Port, Richmond, the Saints, Sydney, West Coast and the Dogs. Three years have elapsed, Adelaide has played each team four times.

The draw system is fixed and has no relation to where teams finish the year before. Some years you'll get lucky and have "soft" draw, other years it will be "tough" and most likely it will be neutral. But the key is that because it is based on maths it is totally fair because there's no outside input. There can be no real complaint about the draw because it is what it is, and if you want you can work out years in advance who you'll be playing who. As it stands now supporters look in trepidation at the following year's draw when it's released hoping for a dream run, but fearing a horror draw.

Depends what the occasion is, when it comes for $$$$ to the AFL then yes makes sense big clubs face off but when its for a charity event give the battling clubs a chance, case might be smaller clubs are deprived of exposure and tv time

We get your view Alfie, how would you measure success or failure? Do you need spin or fluff or will it succeed or fail?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Uhh... Western Bulldogs != Carlton. o_O

Your not getting Carlton, you wanted good Friday reckon it's all about the day, then you get the only other team that's lobbied for it and needs it. That's the dogs not the blues.

Your not getting Carlton, you wanted good Friday reckon it's all about the day, then you get the only other team that's lobbied for it and needs it. That's the dogs not the blues.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Western Bulldogs have ever lobbied for Good Friday football. o_O

Carlton on the other hand have been doing it for years.

A day game in NSW or Qld, before the NRL's night games, and a night game in Vic.
If two teams are to be locked in North v Carlton or Hawthorn (who are the two others I seem to recall pushing for it for a long time), but I don't see why any day should be given to the same two teams every year.

Of course the fixture is compromised, it's already rigged, but having 2 teams playing each other every Good Friday does not play into that because, as I pointed out before, they have to play each other some time, how does playing on a particular day compromise things any further? What compromises the draw is unequal fixtures that are hand picked every year. As an aside I believe this below is only fair way for the fixtures to run;

There is only one fair system with 18 teams and roughly 22 rounds.

Each team plays every other team 4 times over about a 3 year period (two 22 round seasons and one 23 round season).

First year you play the other 17 teams once and then 5 of them once more, as happens now (though who you play twice is not randomly chosen). The next year you again play each team once plus a new group of 5 teams twice. Year three you play all once plus the 6 remaining teams (those you haven't yet played twice in a year) two times. To stick with the fairness aspect when you enter the 2nd rotation of 3 years of fixtures you reverse the home teams. This means that over 6 years each team plays each other team 8 times and each gets 4 home games and 4 away games against each opponent.

The simplest way to construct this would be to simply order teams in alphabetical order (though any order would suffice, based on geography so Vic teams don't get lumped with an overabundance or shortage of interstate trips). Doing this in Year 1 Adelaide play all teams then have 2nd up clashes with Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Fremantle and Geelong. The following year they play all once then again play GWS, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, Melbourne and North. Third year they play all teams once then a second game against Port, Richmond, the Saints, Sydney, West Coast and the Dogs. Three years have elapsed, Adelaide has played each team four times.

The draw system is fixed and has no relation to where teams finish the year before. Some years you'll get lucky and have "soft" draw, other years it will be "tough" and most likely it will be neutral. But the key is that because it is based on maths it is totally fair because there's no outside input. There can be no real complaint about the draw because it is what it is, and if you want you can work out years in advance who you'll be playing who. As it stands now supporters look in trepidation at the following year's draw when it's released hoping for a dream run, but fearing a horror draw.

AFL system
There is a big cry about having just one game. Would doubt they'd go for two at the beginning.

I hope they do have 2 matches, if there are least 6-8 teams in Vic & outs
We get your view Alfie, how would you measure success or failure? Do you need spin or fluff or will it succeed or fail?

You can only trial the game, nothing is ever guaranteed to succeed however i believe the teams that secure the game, marketing department will work overtime

A day game in NSW or Qld, before the NRL's night games, and a night game in Vic.
If two teams are to be locked in North v Carlton or Hawthorn (who are the two others I seem to recall pushing for it for a long time), but I don't see why any day should be given to the same two teams every year.

Blockbuster needs culture to be established, like Anzac Day, wouldn't be the same day if teams were rotated. Has to be same 2 teams in Bombers & Pies same as Good Friday needs to be consistent teams to establish a culture & tradition

AFL system

I hope they do have 2 matches, if there are least 6-8 teams in Vic & outs

You can only trial the game, nothing is ever guaranteed to succeed however i believe the teams that secure the game, marketing department will work overtime

You squibbed it Alfie. Fair go, you don't know how to measure success or failure, that is excuse central when it is a game between clubs that don't put bums on seats & don't pull good ratings.

You squibbed it Alfie. Fair go, you don't know how to measure success or failure, that is excuse central when it is a game between clubs that don't put bums on seats & don't pull good ratings.
Not really lol all opinions on here its a forum after all

From interviews from Gillon McLaughlan wants to have competitive game possibly in Sydney, only 2 teams in my personal opinion would be Swans & Suns as both very good sides and potential to sell out like Swans v Port did... If that happens will = success

If two games occurred one interstate as mentioned above and 1 in Melbourne between 2 clubs and reach say 45-50,000 people, good match and lots of money raised then that itself = success... Success can be measured in different ways and also what an individual deems and how he/she rates success.. U probs have different view and that's fair enough

I'd have two games. North and the Dogs in Melbourne and Suns and GWS on the Gold Coast. The latter will have amazing clashes in three or four years time when they are both up the top of the ladder

perfect

Back