News Good Friday Game?

Should we play Good Friday

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think to play football on Good Friday you need to downgrade the significance of the day.

In a different way this is what the conservative establishment did when it created Moomba. You can't have those Union people celebrating a victory with a public holiday. We'll create a weekend and a big parade to distract the masses. And it worked a treat. A matter of fact it's worked so well that nobody knows why we get a day off.

Good Friday should be an ordinary day, no public holiday. We all go to work and the religious fit in ceremony around a normal working day. The rest of us, the Plebs, then get to enjoy our Friday night as we wish because it's not a holiday. As far as the fixture goes, it's just a long weekend with "Friday Night Football".

Eventually, maybe a generation, no one will remember the significance of the day and all will be sweet.

Being a good working man I propose we either move the holiday to the following Tuesday. As a State public servant I enjoyed Easter Tuesday as a public holiday for many years. My preference would be reinstatement of a Show Day Holiday. The advantage of this would be a long weekend, naturally you would flex the Friday off which would allow you to attend the Grand Final Parade. Saturday for the Grand Final and Sunday for rest and recovery.

I've got us football on Good Friday and sowed the seed of a Grand Final long weekend including a day to enjoy at the Royal Melbourne Show.

Nobody gets hurt and it would be a money spinner.:thumbsu:

Nice dark Blue Victory on Good Friday:thumbsu:

Royal Children's two closest teams within walking distance....
North Melbourne Football Club.
The Carlton Football Club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eddie Maguire was on SEN today and was asked about Good Friday. He said Collingwood dont want to play and he pointed out that clubs want equalization and are putting their hands out for their share of profits. He said if they want a blockbuster then it should be played between big drawing clubs so it is a blockbuster and all clubs will benefit.

Good Friday result: Boro d Eltham. After finishing in the bottom third of the ladder last season that makes 2/2 wins v 2013 finalists. I know the days of quick fixes are over but our old 2's coach (ever so briefly) went out and got himself a CHF, CHB and a mid - we can still dream

Good Friday result: Boro d Eltham. After finishing in the bottom third of the ladder last season that makes 2/2 wins v 2013 finalists. I know the days of quick fixes are over but our old 2's coach (ever so briefly) went out and got himself a CHF, CHB and a mid - we can still dream

My hubby went to the game yesterday, there was a good crowd. If local competitions can do it then surely the AFL can too. It shouldnt have been a personal decision by Vlad to not have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think to play football on Good Friday you need to downgrade the significance of the day.

Good Friday should be an ordinary day, no public holiday. We all go to work and the religious fit in ceremony around a normal working day. The rest of us, the Plebs, then get to enjoy our Friday night as we wish because it's not a holiday. As far as the fixture goes, it's just a long weekend with "Friday Night Football".
Eventually, maybe a generation, no one will remember the significance of the day and all will be sweet.
Nobody gets hurt and it would be a money spinner.:thumbsu:

Surely you are taking the piss Robbo??? So we should reinvent history once again so it can fit in around footy??? o_O

Surely you are taking the piss Robbo??? So we should reinvent history once again so it can fit in around footy??? o_O

I'm glad someone noticed my comment:(

The debate had reached a low ebb with commentary about wine and seafood so my comment was aimed at getting the thread back on track. However I wasn't being serious about Good Friday. Good Friday is such a downer that you'd swear the Methodists are behind it. It is a bleak day for all those not interested in the significance of the day.

It seems to me that the game is going to happen and the AFL let the other codes test the water to see the reaction of the faithful. No reaction has provided the AFL with the fortitude to proceed with a game. In a few years time there will be a second game fixtured leading to a third. So it goes.

Reinventing history? A very interesting point. I understand ANZAC Day looks like a victory after the PR makeover!:rolleyes:

Reinventing history? A very interesting point. I understand ANZAC Day looks like a victory after the PR makeover!:rolleyes:

I'd rather you weren't so flippant with such a solemn occasion. Nobody celebrates Anzac day like it was a triumph. It is a day of remembrance for soldiers lost in all conflicts. Using terms like courage, mateship and sacrifice does nothing to say otherwise. Who holds a celebration for Anzac Day? Celebrating the lives of the fallen is a mark of respect, not a joyous occasion.

Melbourne Rebels raised over $50K with a crowd of just 10K yesterday. They sold teddies for $10 each, which you then had the option of donating the toy back to sick children in the hospital. Not bad for rugby, imagine the amount of money that the AFL could raise if they felt so inclined.

I am a realist and understand a game will go ahead on Good Friday. The thing I don't understand is the argument we need footy on that day. Anyone would think over the Easter weekend we are bereft of footy. The last time I checked we have Thursday night, Saturday, Sunday and Monday....hardly a footy free weekend. Add in the Good Friday game and I expect that will mean Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Overkill....considering we all agreed that the opening round was too drawn out is this where we are heading?

Melbourne Rebels raised over $50K with a crowd of just 10K yesterday. They sold teddies for $10 each, which you then had the option of donating the toy back to sick children in the hospital. Not bad for rugby, imagine the amount of money that the AFL could raise if they felt so inclined.

With due respect the Good Friday appeal does not need the AFL to come to it's rescue??

Back