News Good Friday Game?

Should we play Good Friday

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

With due respect the Good Friday appeal does not need the AFL to come to it's rescue??

How did you get that from what I said?

I'm commenting on the fact that most people have qualified their desire for a footy game on GF with a remark about raising money for the Good Friday appeal at the same time. If rugby can raise 50K with a crowd of just 10 thousand spectators, the AFL will smash it.

The more money for the hospital, the better. I said nothing about being rescued by anyone.

How did you get that from what I said?

I'm commenting on the fact that most people have qualified their desire for a footy game on GF with a remark about raising money for the Good Friday appeal at the same time. If rugby can raise 50K with a crowd of just 10 thousand spectators, the AFL will smash it.

The more money for the hospital, the better. I said nothing about being rescued by anyone.

Apologies MEB if that came out the wrong way.

I just meant the appeal has been going for a long while and does pretty well for itself. I just get sick of the thought from a lot of people that if the AFL gets on board it will go to another level.

I just meant the appeal has been going for a long while and does pretty well for itself. I just get sick of the thought from a lot of people that if the AFL gets on board it will go to another level.
It might or it may not we won't know until it happens

But it will.

That hospital helped my brother to walk again. He was in a wheelchair for almost two years and lived there on and off for about 10 months. They saved the life of my baby cousin, who was only given a 30% chance of survival, but was able to be taken home by his parents a week ago. That hospital deserves every dollar it gets, and if the AFL can help it raise another 100K every year, then glory hallelujah. I'm certainly not going to turn my nose up at it.

But it will.

That hospital helped my brother to walk again. He was in a wheelchair for almost two years and lived there on and off for about 10 months. They saved the life of my baby cousin, who was only given a 30% chance of survival, but was able to be taken home by his parents a week ago. That hospital deserves every dollar it gets, and if the AFL can help it raise another 100K every year, then glory hallelujah. I'm certainly not going to turn my nose up at it.
Especially after the government has cut 24 million dollars from hospitals.

But it will.

But what of the other argument that states taking 3 hours of pure air time away from the appeal will see people not donating? It is proven that when it is not actually on the TV (news time) that the phones stop ringing. I agree with you MEB that it is all about the hospital and the kids and I never want that diluted by a footy game.

I'm sure they can work out a way to do both. Surely they can have a scrolling banner along the bottom, have coverage before and after the game and during all of the breaks, etc. Or televise the game on foxtel and leave channel 7 alone, whatever. It's an extra avenue for fundraising, not removing one.

I'm sure they can work out a way to do both. Surely they can have a scrolling banner along the bottom, have coverage before and after the game and during all of the breaks, etc. Or televise the game on foxtel and leave channel 7 alone, whatever. It's an extra avenue for fundraising, not removing one.

First RCH Appeal was based on an initiative by the journo's at the old pink comic, Sporting Globe, who donated monies from a sports carnival. 3DB used to be in the old HWT building, so they started telecasting it as a radio event in the early days.

So there is a sporting history to it.

Pretty sure in the 70's & 80's they used to do live TV crosses out of Flinders St. Lou Richards used to leave the back door of the old trough, the Phoenix pub, open, so there were plenty of weird and whacky quotes coming out of there, Stephen Allender is one that springs to mind, could barely keep his feet on air one year.

I'd rather you weren't so flippant with such a solemn occasion. Nobody celebrates Anzac day like it was a triumph. It is a day of remembrance for soldiers lost in all conflicts. Using terms like courage, mateship and sacrifice does nothing to say otherwise. Who holds a celebration for Anzac Day? Celebrating the lives of the fallen is a mark of respect, not a joyous occasion.

I was not being flippant. I said little except Anzac Day has had a makeover in the past decade that is not indicative of the reality of the day. You choose to get on a soap box and give me a whack.

The actual Day of Remembrance is the 11th of November. See how well the PR has worked.

I was not being flippant. I said little except Anzac Day has had a makeover in the past decade that is not indicative of the reality of the day. You choose to get on a soap box and give me a whack.

You have a funny idea of what constitutes a soapbox and what constitutes a whack. Besides, you didn't say that:

I understand ANZAC Day looks like a victory after the PR makeover!:rolleyes:

It was a little more cynical than the way you rephrased it, don't you think?

The actual Day of Remembrance is the 11th of November. See how well the PR has worked.

Remembrance Day was named by Australia and Great Britain and is the anniversary of the end of WWI. There is no public holiday for this day so doesn't have quite the same participation as far as parades go. It wasn't actually named Remembrance Day until the end of WWII and is supposed to commemorate all war dead.

ANZAC day is a shared Australia and New Zealand day and commemorates the first major battle of a country that had been a federal commonwealth only 13 years. It was named ANZAC day in 1916, and has far more significance in our psyche.

Not that the it's a relevant argument anyway. There is no rule about having to have one day of remembering the fallen. The objection was the rolling of the eyes and the contention that we celebrate it as though we won the battle.

Unfortunately it's hard to discuss ANZAC Day without seemingly being disrespectful to those that participated and to the nation as a whole.

They've got us again.

Or is it possible that sometimes things are presented in a disrespectful manner and are fair game to be challenged. I'm not protecting the sanctity of a day, just a contention I disagree with.

You guys can feel free to continue the debate if you wish.

They'll certainly link it up and do it well.

As you say, who could begrudge money going to what has been a terrific hospital for so many years.

Okay just for the record I am all for the hospital raising as much money as possible through whatever means it can. If that means a game of footy well so be it.

Everyone on this board is a footy addict and I believe sometimes they cannot see that the world does not revolve around footy. I am only playing the devil's advocate here and suggesting it may not be the forgone conclusion that everyone thinks it would be. A lot of people are not into footy and may actually enjoy watching the appeal. What if that is taken away from them for 3 hours when the game it telecast? Could that impact the donations if the appeal is not on the TV? I don't know the answer but every event that is on in Melbourne does not and should not revolve around the AFL.

The one thing I can say I would be interested in the game if Carlton was playing, if they were not it is doubtful I would have any interest in it at all and to be honest would rather watch the appeal than say North and the Bulldogs playing.

Anyway, we are all different but I just think sometimes on this board people cannot see past their love of footy.

No need to be disrespectful just for the sake of it at all, nor falsely respectful just because that's "the thing to do"

I don't expect anybody to show obvious respect to something they have no respect for but in those situations you can still respect the fact that others do have respect and go about your own business. It's called living in a society.

You don't have to respect elderly people either but there is no need to voice that opinion. We all have things we don't like but it serves no purpose, other than a selfish one, to think that opinion needs to be stated.

It does concern me that some are vocal about not respecting history or traditions. I'm guessing those people don't care if people respect them or not either so are probably quite consistent. The problem is that if everybody was like that, we'd have even more conflict.

Some people respect and value things we don't .... good for them, live and let live if you aren't hurting anybody.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a Friday Tony..............just a Friday and we usually have games on Friday.

People can do whatever they choose to do on a Friday but to have clergymen tell us that football should not be played on a Friday is just a little.............................disrespectful.

Reckon Carlton vs. North has a good chance of getting across the line.
It will be a "Big Deal" next year but not so much of a big deal from there on in.

Sorry Harks but to suggest it is just like any other Friday is naive at best.

Friday of the harvest celebration.

First weekend after the first full moon after the spring equinox (northern hemisphere) origins come from celebrating the spring harvest and predates any Christianity belief system.

Anyone posts Rebecca Black's vid I will hunt you down.
a8ubutuv.jpg

You have a funny idea of what constitutes a soapbox and what constitutes a whack. Besides, you didn't say that:

It was a little more cynical than the way you rephrased it, don't you think?

Remembrance Day was named by Australia and Great Britain and is the anniversary of the end of WWI. There is no public holiday for this day so doesn't have quite the same participation as far as parades go. It wasn't actually named Remembrance Day until the end of WWII and is supposed to commemorate all war dead.

ANZAC day is a shared Australia and New Zealand day and commemorates the first major battle of a country that had been a federal commonwealth only 13 years. It was named ANZAC day in 1916, and has far more significance in our psyche.

Not that the it's a relevant argument anyway. There is no rule about having to have one day of remembering the fallen. The objection was the rolling of the eyes and the contention that we celebrate it as though we won the battle.

Or is it possible that sometimes things are presented in a disrespectful manner and are fair game to be challenged. I'm not protecting the sanctity of a day, just a contention I disagree with.

You guys can feel free to continue the debate if you wish.

Your research skills are excellent and I enjoy your assertiveness. I'd rather remember the end of World War 1 than continue to preach a falsehood. Anzac Day, the day Australia truly became a nation. I think it's a sad day and I've have never found reason to commemorate it.

Now you feel free to debate it because I wasn't looking for a debate in the first place.

You can't make comments like that about what is for all intents and purposes our national day without drawing debate, Rmh. The fact we commemorate one of the greatest defeats in our military history seems to be lost on some. I like most despise war. My father spent years in a POW camp and my family paid for it and is still paying for it today. The violence, the atrocities, the invisible stuff like rape and infanticide really is sickening to think about. There is a complexity to honouring our dead in war that just doesn't get fully acknowledged at times. I acknowledge the day but not with any real sense of triumph or pride.

You can't make comments like that about what is for all intents and purposes our national day without drawing debate, Rmh. The fact we commemorate one of the greatest defeats in our military history seems to be lost on some. I like most despise war. My father spent years in a POW camp and my family paid for it and is still paying for it today. The violence, the atrocities, the invisible stuff like rape and infanticide really is sickening to think about. There is a complexity to honouring our dead in war that just doesn't get fully acknowledged at times. I acknowledge the day but not with any real sense of triumph or pride.

Not wrong. I acknowledge the day with some quiet contemplation. It's always a sobering day thinking about the people that put their lives on the line in such a fashion, knowing how terribly frightened I would be in the same situation. I used to be a St John's Ambulance cadet and as such we used to go along to the dawn parades and pay our respects.

I realise that some people use any public holiday as a celebration, but the celebration by those in the know is a celebration of the lives of those that fought for the country, not a celebration of war or celebration of triumph. I don't see Australian dignitaries heading to Gallipoli suggesting to the Turkish people that we won that conflict. In fact, there is a real acknowledgment of the loss suffered by both sides. In short, the day is an acknowledgment that war is hell, not glorious.

Hopefully the tourists will one day leave Gallipoli for good and the souls of the dead can sleep peacefully again.

Yeah well, that's another story again. Certainly those bogans trudging through there without paying proper respect shouldn't be happening. I wonder what the families of the fallen think. I know that the Jewish community encourage people to visit Auschwitz so we understand their suffering and to remind people to never let it happen again, but Gallipoli is a different situation.

Its better to be remembered than forgotten. People pay respect each in their own way. You wonder what the families of the fallen think? I wonder what the young men who left the good lives they had in Australia would think of Australians going all the way to Anzac cove to have a good time while they remember the dead, and ive come to the conclusions that I dont think the dead would care at all.

Back