Good Friday v Carlton, "Lock it in"

Remove this Banner Ad

I would personally prefer to play Carlton than the dogs. In saying that I have no doubt that if both north and the dogs went to the supporters in the lead up to the game and said the onus is on us to draw a big crowd to prove the justification of giving us good Friday I'd expect 45,000 plus at Etihad. If we cant produce that neither club deserves it!
And, while I'd prefer Carlton too - I think we have a more genuine rivalry with them, I could live with it being the Dogs.

Like Gordon has said, give it time to build too. Don't necessarily expect it to be successful immediately. Obviously playing Carlton would increase the chances of success, sooner, but over time I reckon it could work no matter who as long as it is a stand alone game that gets exposure.

The AFL executive is working on all options, with AFL football operations manager Mark Evans saying on Tuesday no one was locked in.
“There hasn’t been a decision to play on Good Friday. I noticed some clubs are jockeying and there are about 15 who think they were the first two write in proposing a match on Good Friday. It’s not relevant unless a decision has been made,’’ he said.
“Next year is tricky with the fixturing around the World Cup. of cricket. We won’t have access to the cricket venues for a couple of those weeks, so it will be tricky for us at the start of the year.”

_proxy

Unfortunately I reckon this will happen

Sent from my HTC_PO582 using Tapatalk

We should get our records to prove we started it, then.

I'm sure Greg Miller would be a credible witness. I'm fairly certain there was an article in the HS about 18 years ago about NM asking for Good Friday. Throughout the 90's I kept every newspaper article written about NM.

I'm sure Greg Miller would be a credible witness. I'm fairly certain there was an article in the HS about 18 years ago about NM asking for Good Friday. Throughout the 90's I kept every newspaper article written about NM.

Well not as much but certainly every paper Friday-Mon after 96-99 Flags plus any special magazine.

Do you ever sit down and re read any?

I occasionally stumble across it all and think what the * have I done-got here?

If you can find any related to this subject it'd be fascinating reading mate.

article-2076822-0F3A0DA100000578-532_634x379.jpg

Well not as much but certainly every paper Friday-Mon after 96-99 Flags plus any special magazine.

I occasionally stumble across it all and think what the **** have I done-got here?

All the articles I placed in a scrap book. Over the weekend I'll get them out and have a read. It's good to look back and have a laugh. Remember all those 'paganisms'

All the articles I placed in a scrap book. Over the weekend I'll get them out and have a read. It's good to look back and have a laugh. Remember all those 'paganisms'

...did you keep those awful black and white Kanga News or wtf the club called them.

Keenan Reynolds was a big pre season signing if IIRC...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I occasionally stumble across it all and think what the **** have I done-got here?

ive got the same, kept a lot of the north news too.

will be absolutely pissed if this good friday game gets to other clubs, let the doggies create something of there own, they do travel north a fair bit. even the saints have got there new zealand game. it was about the two nearest clubs to the royal childrens hospital, hope gordon remembers this, not the suburb nearest the stadium.

...did you keep those awful black and white Kanga News or wtf the club called them.

I don't think I've kept those magazines. I've just found an article 'Time to allow football on Good Friday' Mike Sheahan (14/11/96). North Melbourne is only club mentioned as being associated with Good Friday football. I'll see if can scan the article

I would personally prefer to play Carlton than the dogs. In saying that I have no doubt that if both north and the dogs went to the supporters in the lead up to the game and said the onus is on us to draw a big crowd to prove the justification of giving us good Friday I'd expect 45,000 plus at Etihad. If we cant produce that neither club deserves it!

We have at best 18K rusted on supporters and Footscray at best 15K together 33K. Because Easter would mean some people for religious or family reasons won't be available to attend unless we go with Carlton we won't get more than 40K at Docklands. Hawk supporters won't go there only to the G. I was at the G in '98 for the 68K against the dogs, but that was last game for top spot and I'm sure both clubs maxed out plus a lot of theatregoers. Same applied to Michael Tuck's record breaking game in the days when North/Hawthorn didn't draw a crowd.

On that tangent, Nick Dal Santo is ALREADY the most successful big money signing we've made in the last 30 years.

Just about every other poaching ended in tears and even Nathan Thompson cost us our 1st 2 rounds.

To think we coughed up Keenan's hefty asking price is slightly nauseating.

Dwayne Russell just got on the radio saying that North should have a Good Friday game. In Tasmania. We should play the 8 home games there and Good Friday should be one of them. Kill two birds with one misguided stone. No one wants North playing a game on Good Friday at Etihad because only 15,000 would go and it would be a disaster.

What a flog.

They'll play because they're professional athletes who are paid accordingly.
Well when Bachar Houlihan played for Essendon back in 2008, the Bombers supporters were concerned after round 1 that he wouldn't be able to play finals as Ramadan fell during September, so it is an issue we should all be concerned about. :stern look

Dwayne Russell just got on the radio saying that North should have a Good Friday game. In Tasmania. We should play the 8 home games there and Good Friday should be one of them. Kill two birds with one misguided stone. No one wants North playing a game on Good Friday at Etihad because only 15,000 would go and it would be a disaster.

What a flog.
Might have to convince Metal Mick to throw a few Billiard Balls at Dwayne Russell's head. :stern look

Well when Bachar Houlihan played for Essendon back in 2008, the Bombers supporters were concerned after round 1 that he wouldn't be able to play finals as Ramadan fell during September, so it is an issue we should all be concerned about. :stern look
Because Essendon were never going to play finals again, ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back