Good on ya Gordon (apologies first time )

Remove this Banner Ad

Sausages

HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
Glad to see some club chiefs view the subject of local blokes representing their local team in a similar light to me. And that throwing buckets of cash at said 18-20 year old blokes away from home to entice some sort of loyalty isn't a solution in my mind.

But Gordon did admit the Bulldogs would have "loved" to draft Western Jets local Liam Duggan last year, who the West Coast Eagles picked at No.11.

"The system needs to be fair to everyone, and one would need to be convinced the developing states were not discriminated against by such a system," Gordon told AFL.com.au.

"Having said that, I would really have loved to have picked up Liam Duggan for the Bulldogs last year.

"He came from our local area, he was a Bulldogs supporter since he was a kid, he wanted to be drafted by the Western Bulldogs, he trained with the club and now he's playing in Perth.

"For a club like ours which is really trying to develop its roots in the broader Western region of Melbourne, the club has missed out on an opportunity for a kid who comes from the region to become an icon of the club, the region and a real role model to young kids playing in the western suburbs of Melbourne."

- See more at: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-...g-zones-for-all-18-clubs#sthash.RGB6LxKT.dpuf

G

"Having said that, I would really have loved to have picked up Liam Duggan for the Bulldogs last year.

"He came from our local area, he was a Bulldogs supporter since he was a kid, he wanted to be drafted by the Western Bulldogs, he trained with the club and now he's playing in Perth.

"For a club like ours which is really trying to develop its roots in the broader Western region of Melbourne, the club has missed out on an opportunity for a kid who comes from the region to become an icon of the club, the region and a real role model to young kids playing in the western suburbs of Melbourne."

- See more at: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-...g-zones-for-all-18-clubs#sthash.RGB6LxKT.dpuf
if u wanted duggan so bad they shouldn't have trade their pick6 for boyd……..

Whats stopping a club approaching a player and asking them to tank and promising to pick them up? Didn't windgard pretty much do this

What point are you trying to make? That having first dibs on the local talent should be a right for everyone?

Newsflash. Bulldogs had pick 6 which they traded on for Boyd. If they had wanted him so badly, they could have had him.

With free agency, if he decides he wants to go home, the Bulldogs can still have him for the right price. In fact this is the advantage that traditional football states have over the non-traditional ones, and what the academies are trying to rectify. The traditional football states benefit when young players want to go home, often at the expense of the non-traditional states where far fewer players are from.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously this is so stupid. They are paying a ridiculous amount to entice a kid to their club and then says something like this. The guy is clearly a moron.
Peter Gordon??? A moron??

Seriously this is so stupid. They are paying a ridiculous amount to entice a kid to their club and then says something like this. The guy is clearly a moron.

Wow! What a great country this is that a man who you describe as " Clearly a moron" can have been as spectacularly successful as Peter Gordon. How's your CV?

Wow! What a great country this is that a man who you describe as " Clearly a moron" can have been as spectacularly successful as Peter Gordon. How's your CV?

Might not be a moron but his opinions are awfully self-interested. Yes he's a Dogs man but where was his opinion on this before Duggan.

Just sounds like he's having a whinge to me to be honest.

If they'd not traded for Boyd and kept pick 6, they'd still need that key fwd so still mightn't even got Duggan. Wright would have been available there.
Can't pick a guy cause Gordon wants him.

Whats stopping a club approaching a player and asking them to tank and promising to pick them up? Didn't windgard pretty much do this

No Wingard basically draft tampered and told every club outside SA that he was a mummy's boy, loved Adelaide so much and that he would struggle leaving family and friends. Basically if you draft me I'm heading home in 1 > 2 years so don't bother.

Looks like Duggan is the next 20 yo millionaire.

How many millions in free cap space do the Dogs have?

They have paid Boyd way over the odds and now they won't have the coin to bribe another player with ridiculous money.

The one thing about Duggan is the quality of his character, commitment to team first principles and his loyalty. Voted by the players n the IAS squad as the best team 'club' man with leadership qualities.

When 18 year old enter their first AFL club and bond with their team mates and the club looks after them and they get games they are happy and stay. Also playing in a winning side helps.

Will be very, very surprised if Duggan asks for a trade after two years.

i agree with Gordon about local talent should be allowed to stay home.

If that is the case WA should have about 4 teams !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back