Good Riddance..........

Remove this Banner Ad

Coons didn't want to leave. I'm happy with the trade though.

Hoping that tutt supporters can see him for what he is now that he's taken the red, white and blue off. King Harold was so so right about this guy.
Are you joking or what?
Cooney wanted to leave at the end of 2013 and go to hawthorn after Brian won the premiership but the Hawks didn't want him. Then at the end of 2014 he asked for a trade again but was denied a second time. I work with lakes older brother and he and Cooney are good mates. Just in case you dont believe me. Straight from the horses mouth.

Are you joking or what?
Cooney wanted to leave at the end of 2013 and go to hawthorn after Brian won the premiership but the Hawks didn't want him. Then at the end of 2014 he asked for a trade again but was denied a second time. I work with lakes older brother and he and Cooney are good mates. Just in case you dont believe me. Straight from the horses mouth.

Cooney re-signed at the end of 2013 for two years, doesn't make sense for a player wanting to leave to re-sign with the club. Cooney was happy to stay or go at the end of 2014, what ever the club wanted he was fine with.

Last edited:
Higgins close to best on ground in the North/Adel game.

He was always going to go well at Norf. They're in the perfect position for an icing on the cake type like him.

I'm more annoyed we didn't get better compo for him

There has never been doubt about Higgins' ability to play footy. The doubts are whether he can do it week in, week out and when it matters most.

He's also a soft as butter downhill skier.

Fits in there perfectly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah no neck , but it was that silly oversized baseball cap he wore around the club that did my head in.
In the end it used to look like a cap sitting on shoulders with nothing in between !:eek:
Do you remember that time a few years ago when he was running out onto the ground in Canberra (I think) and he ran straight into the picket fence and flipped over it?!
That was gold I tells ya! Gold

Can Matthew Lloyd wait until at least Cooney's played a few real games before he comes out with and says we made a mistake with Adam!

A few harsh assessments here!
I am sure that, within the constraints of their understanding, all of these guys did their best to succeed with the Bulldogs. They shouldn't be crucified if they came up a bit short.
Apart from Griffen, all had shortcomings that made them trade worthy and were moved on by consensus:
  • Jones was given every opportunity to claim a key forward spot [a very demanding position] over 5-6 seasons but was found lacking - basically because he lacked the smarts to play as a forward and as a result was very predictable at the contest [and therefore easy to negate]. It didn't look like things had changed much in his first outing with the Blues
  • Cooney [as great a footballer as he had been] had become a one way footballer [ a bit of a cheat] - excellent when running with or forward of the ball, atrocious when having to go the other way. I would have been looking to trade him this year irrespective of the internal turmoil post / pre season.
  • Higgins: Was probably a natural 1/2 Forward who paid the price of playing second fiddle to Gia. Great finishing skills, Only OK at the contest and a little slow [which together with only average defensive skills, sometimes left him exposed at 1/2 back]. Can imagine that a player of his ilk could have been a little disgruntled under the previous regime's contested ball mantra. Would have thought that the move to North would have been by mutual consensus.
  • Tutt: Could run and kick goals, but didn't get enough of the ball. Like Higgins his position in the pecking order would have been adversely affected by his propensity to fumble under pressure! Trade or delist under old regime but may have survived the cut under the new
Griffen was / is a fine footballer who was promoted to his own level of incompetence - Captaincy - and suffered as a result. His inability to cope with the pressures of the position eventually stressed him to the point of breaking and he jumped [His fault or ours for appointing him?].
In all cases the Club's appointed representatives negotiated acceptable trade exchanges for these players and that is where this issue should be left with each of the parties having a clean slate - free to construct a future better than the one that they faced under the previous status quo.

Cooney resigned at the end of 2013 for two years, doesn't make sense for a player wanting to leave to resign with the club. Cooney was happy to stay or go at the end of 2014, what ever the club wanted he was fine with.
What are you on about?
When did I say he resigned for two years?
I said he spoke to hawthorn at the end of 2013 and 2014 about the possibility of them wanting him. But they didn't. End of story.

What are you on about?
When did I say he resigned for two years?
I said he spoke to hawthorn at the end of 2013 and 2014 about the possibility of them wanting him. But they didn't. End of story.

I meant he re-signed in 2013, just before the end of the season. My point being why would someone re-sign then a couple of months later speak to another club about moving???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back