Tertiary and Continuing Good solid ATAR score

Remove this Banner Ad

Macca_

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
What's a good solid ATAR score that can get you into a wide range of courses? I always thought that I'd get something around 85-90, but my teacher said that you'll pretty much need A's and A+'s in all subjects to achieve a score like that.

By the way, I'm doing English, Bio, PE, Bus. Man and Further Maths next year, any advice? I'm doing Math methods this year and getting C's and D's, should I stick with it or go with Further?

Surely you must have a few careers in mind? This would give us a better indication of what score would be 'solid'.

An arts and media ATAR for example, would require a lot less then something like a law / dentistry course.

I remember online the VTAC guide was of great assistance. Often (not always) ATAR requirements don't change significantly from year to year - maybe a point or two off.

Did my VCE a couple of years ago.
I got low 80s with fairly average scores but I did Chemistry and Methods which got boosted a lot.

mid 80s will get you into a large variety of courses (Obvious exceptions being major medicine and law courses, honours that type of thing). 90+ is easily achievable if you are willing to work
I struggled with Methods in year 11 but stuck with it and ended up getting a study score of 31 > scaled to 37.
I did Further maths in year 11 and got a study score of 36 > scaled down to 34.

Admittedly Further was blatantly easy so I didnt work hard, with any kind of work ethic 40+ is very achievable.
I worked a lot harder in methods the next year.

Year 12 performance largely comes down to work ethic.
and a little bit of how you cope with the pressure of exams.

No offence but if you are getting C's and D's in Methods then 85-90 is a fair way out of your reach.

At those marks I think you are better off going with General Maths but it's close and if you think you can get B's in Year 12 Methods then I'd probably stick with it.

In general the types of subjects you are doing (PE, Bus Man, Further) are not overly conducive to a high ATAR.

No offence but if you are getting C's and D's in Methods then 85-90 is a fair way out of your reach.

At those marks I think you are better off going with General Maths but it's close and if you think you can get B's in Year 12 Methods then I'd probably stick with it.

In general the types of subjects you are doing (PE, Bus Man, Further) are not overly conducive to a high ATAR.
That's fair enough, but I'm good at those subjects. I've gotten an A+ on every Sac and exam this year for BM, and I haven't got anything lower than a B for PE. I'm top of the class for Bio and English too.

That's fair enough, but I'm good at those subjects. I've gotten an A+ on every Sac and exam this year for BM, and I haven't got anything lower than a B for PE. I'm top of the class for Bio and English too.

Fair enough. Best to do subjects you generally do well at and are interested in rather than chase extra points in "tougher" subjects and never get there.

Interested to know why you can do so well at Bio and English and so poorly at Methods. If you are relatively intelligent (which from your marks in these other subjects you should be) then Methods shouldn't be that difficult, even if you are not overly maths orientated.

Fair enough. Best to do subjects you generally do well at and are interested in rather than chase extra points in "tougher" subjects and never get there.

Interested to know why you can do so well at Bio and English and so poorly at Methods. If you are relatively intelligent (which from your marks in these other subjects you should be) then Methods shouldn't be that difficult, even if you are not overly maths orientated.
I fail to see how a C in methods is poor. I have gotten B's before too. Maths has always been my weakest subject anyway.

From memory I think Sport Science required a score in the low 70's whilst you'll need a ATAR of around 96-97 to get into Physiotherapy
96-97 seems a bit lofty for physio. Law was approx 85-90, Medicine min 90.

Enter scores are not based on factors like earning capacity they are based on the popularity and demand places. Physiotherapy is a popular and sought after proffesion which is why institutes can place such high requirements for entry

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly depends on where you study.

Arts at Melbourne expect high 80's low 90's probably now. Arts at any uni that doesn't attract typical "Melbourne uni people" and it can be in the 60's.

Enter scores are not based on factors like earning capacity they are based on the popularity and demand places. Physiotherapy is a popular and sought after proffesion which is why institutes can place such high requirements for entry
90 at Curtin uni.. so 96-97 was quite lofty. Can work the other way, some can be dissuaded and then it loses popularity.. one remembers when Comp Sci was the rage!

Seems to depend on where you want to go too. For instance, in Perth, Law is 80, 90 and 98 at three different unis.

I would do your best to get 90+ as that would give you a lot of options.

No, Physio has a huge entry requirement because of its popularity.

To OP; I got 98.5 without getting a 20 and not doing particularly well or poorly in any subject, so depending on what school you go to and what you class as an 'A' it is entirely within reason to score extremely well with B+/A- scores.

No, Physio has a huge entry requirement because of its popularity.
In that case: Study arse off, get high ATAR for physio, complete degree, compete with plenty of other physio graduates for work - sounds great.

I see it with geos all the time at work.

In that case: Study arse off, get high ATAR for physio, complete degree, compete with plenty of other physio graduates for work - sounds great.

I see it with geos all the time at work.
Physio's a little different from Geology. The work is there in both Public and Private and with the aging population it isn't declining.

Get a tutor, be prepared to spend a little money and do whatever it takes if you are serious about getting into a high ranked uni. Cs and Ds just isn't going to cut it.

ATARs are only relevant for one year. Sure work hard and achieve results for the huge satisfaction you get and the principle of trying your best because you should. But after that, you'll find they are not as important as you probably think

Remove this Banner Ad

Back