Opinion Goodbye 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

You know it feels like it is over when ...

you are sitting with your young son at only his second game begging the footy gods to allow him to witness just one effin Nth goal before half time.

I feel for you, I really do.

It saddens me to say this but I don't want us to make the finals:
  1. We are not capable of causing any real damage
  2. It (again) papers of the cracks in our footy department and playing list
  3. Puts us around 6-8 spots away from the best talent in the draft, and
  4. Means that Brad is certain to coach again next year.
Over the next couple of months the events that will ultimately be judged by history will play out. We could continue to swallow the blind optimism and hope peddled by Brad. That would mean his tenure continues and we make list decisions that will haunt us for a decade. Or we can judge him and the footy department on the facts, and that means the results. From memory we are at about the same ladder position as when Brad took over. We are better, for sure, but are we closer to a premiership now than we were then? I'm not so sure we are.

James, Carl and Walshy - your time is now. Which side of history will you be on?

Agree. The worst thing that could happen is for us to make finals. We are nowhere near it, and need a change. Finishing 8th and beating the Doggies in an elimination final by 5 points, and then getting thrashed the next week would dress up a horrible season, and may continue the rot.

It saddens me to say this but I don't want us to make the finals:
  1. We are not capable of causing any real damage
  2. It (again) papers of the cracks in our footy department and playing list
  3. Puts us around 6-8 spots away from the best talent in the draft, and
  4. Means that Brad is certain to coach again next year.
Over the next couple of months the events that will ultimately be judged by history will play out. We could continue to swallow the blind optimism and hope peddled by Brad. That would mean his tenure continues and we make list decisions that will haunt us for a decade. Or we can judge him and the footy department on the facts, and that means the results. From memory we are at about the same ladder position as when Brad took over. We are better, for sure, but are we closer to a premiership now than we were then? I'm not so sure we are.

James, Carl and Walshy - your time is now. Which side of history will you be on?

If we are in the same ladder position as we were before, how exactly are "we better for sure".

The rest of the comp has improved also, regardless of whether we have also. I think last years PF entry was a mirage of how good we actually were.

As for rest of your post I think it is spot on.

Agree. The worst thing that could happen is for us to make finals. We are nowhere near it, and need a change. Finishing 8th and beating the Doggies in an elimination final by 5 points, and then getting thrashed the next week would dress up a horrible season, and may continue the rot.

I cant understand why any North supporter would not want us to make the finals. It doesn't make sense to me. Sure we are not going to win the flag this season but it doesn't mean that we shouldn't enjoy the ride. Unfortunately in an 18 team comp there are clubs that will go 50+ years without winning a flag so it cant just be all about winning the premiership. I remember those 2 great nights at the G last year in September. If we can win 1 final this year I will be rapt. I am quietly confident that we will win this week and very confident that we will still play finals this year and if we do it will be great.

I cant understand why any North supporter would not want us to make the finals. It doesn't make sense to me. Sure we are not going to win the flag this season but it doesn't mean that we shouldn't enjoy the ride. Unfortunately in an 18 team comp there are clubs that will go 50+ years without winning a flag so it cant just be all about winning the premiership. I remember those 2 great nights at the G last year in September. If we can win 1 final this year I will be rapt. I am quietly confident that we will win this week and very confident that we will still play finals this year and if we do it will be great.
That's like a one night stand to me..
Meh...no thanks

So you think finishing 7th or 8th as opposed to finishing 10th or 11th will drive us further away from our next flag. How so?
Finished 7th or 8th gives us no chance to win the final. I'd have better luck trying to give birth.

It will sugar coat the most dissapointing season in memory. Scott would likely start next season, keeping the problem at North. We'd land a lesser draft pick then. We'd land a tougher draw. And we will have not learned nor healed from the same cycle of crap that has plagued us for 3 seasons. It is for the best, the greater good you could say. We MUST not make finals this season. And in any case, we aren't good enough to anyway. This season hasn't seen its last Gold Coast performance.

Finished 7th or 8th gives us no chance to win the final. I'd have better luck trying to give birth.

It will sugar coat the most dissapointing season in memory. Scott would likely start next season, keeping the problem at North. We'd land a lesser draft pick then. We'd land a tougher draw. And we will have not learned nor healed from the same cycle of crap that has plagued us for 3 seasons. It is for the best, the greater good you could say. We MUST not make finals this season. And in any case, we aren't good enough to anyway. This season hasn't seen its last Gold Coast performance.

Does that mean that you will be going this week and barracking for us to lose? I cant imagine doing that. If the only reason that anyone barracks for a team is to win a flag then there are going to be a lot of disappointed people out there. Personally I like to enjoy the ride. The weekend was terrible but thongs can change quickly. Do you think we could win the flag in 2016 if we miss the finals this year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

im here because my cousin and best mate are North supporters soi watch ur games and they are gutted right now im trying to put it into perspective

if the gastro thing is true ya all need to relax

We've had gastro for 6 years.

Does that mean that you will be going this week and barracking for us to lose? I cant imagine doing that. If the only reason that anyone barracks for a team is to win a flag then there are going to be a lot of disappointed people out there. Personally I like to enjoy the ride. The weekend was terrible but thongs can change quickly. Do you think we could win the flag in 2016 if we miss the finals this year?

I'll be there on Sat night and I'll obviously be hoping we win, as I do every week, but that doesn't mean I can't see the bigger picture either.

As has been explained here and in other threads finishing finals only to be humiliated again does set us further back.

We have half a season now to get on the front foot and start preparing for the betterment of the squad in 2016 and beyond. If that means dropping games that otherwise could be won then I'm fine with that.

I think the way Magpies have done it is exactly the model we should follow (although it pains me to say it). Clear out the older players including a star or two for picks and younger players, be prepared for some short term pain for a year or two, then try and reload just as quickly.

Of course no amount of trading will make a scrap of difference if the same regime and gameplan exist as they'll just become under performing plodders also.

But with a bold approach and a change of coaching staff, with a mini overhaul of the list and some tough and potentially unpopular decisions made, I'm confident with the amount of talented young players we have already 2017 and beyond can still look reasonably bright as a minimum.

Last edited:
As has been explained here and in other threads finishing finals only to be humiliated again does set us further back.

We have half a season now to get on the front foot and start preparing for the betterment of the squad in 2016 and beyond. If that means dropping games that otherwise could be won then I'm fine with that.

I think the way Magpies have done it is exactly the model we should follow (although it pains me to say it). Clear out the older players including a star or two for picks and younger players, be prepared for some short term pain for a year or two, then try and reload just as quickly.

Of course no amount of trading will make a scrap of difference if the same regime and gameplan exist as they'll just become under performing plodders also.

But with a bold approach and a change of coaching staff, with a mini overhaul of the list and some tough decisions made, I'm confident with the amount of young players we have already have 2017 and beyond can still look reasonably bright as a minimum.

...yet again you make sense...there is a disconnect between what you write and your avatar.

I see a lot of similarities between us and Greece, both pretty much saying the same stuff week after week, year after year and not accepting that things must change. Maybe we should go to the default plan and just join the VFL at least we maybe competitive o_O

There'll be a lot of twisting of words re making finals. ie Those who don't want us to make finals taken out of context as "of course you want to make finals" etc.

There are occasions when you want to make finals and can live with not winning a flag, usually during a development phase. eg 2005, 2012.

For me, the end game is that I want use to win a premiership as soon as possible.

Is the fastest path to this:
a) get into 8th spot, get belted, Brad's pressure released and on we go as always
b) miss finals, staff changes forced

Unfortunately it pains me to say (b) is probably the way to go.

In ALL previous years I wanted finals regardless because the promise of more to come was there.

But unless there's change at the top, it'd just trap us into more the same.

Just to note, a better draft pick/tanking is not my wish here. A comprehensive change of the club's environment is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back