Goodbye Mal

Remove this Banner Ad

Like how Carlton promised McLean another contract then turfed him?
Like how Hawthorn shopped Schoenmakers around when he didn't want to go?
Like how Brisbane shopped Rischitelli around to lure Fev?
Like how Geelong turfed Paul Chapman after many years of loyal service?
Like how Adelaide said they'd re-sign Petrenko then didn't?
Like how the Bulldogs shafted Cooney this year?

Clubs have stuff-all loyalty to many players, so the players are free to look after their own interests if they want.

Like Jude Bolton (p'ship player 2005) checking out his market value 6 years ago only to find out it was better to accept one year contracts at the Swans for the remainder of his career.
Wins second p'ship.

Like ROK checking out a possible move to Vic. Stays & wins second p'ship.

Well run clubs have more to offer an individual player in terms of success than an individual player has to offer well run clubs. (There are definitely a few exceptions. Buddy, Ablett)

If it's not Mal, Jude, ROK etc, etc.the well run club will find another player that will do that role & grow into it.

Here are some examples.

Jolly goes. Fans get upset. What to do now? Well run club finds Mumford. Teaches a Canadian how to play ruck. Two more unlikely p'ship medallions.

Jed Lamb plays some senior footy for the reigning premier in 2013. Leaves for big money to a bottom team. Can't break into the line up of a bottom team.

Mummy the same. More money. Terrific! No success. Sure we didn't win the flag but it's fair to say we had a great year to make the GF.

Good teams make players better. .....................Spangher at the Hawks?

We'll lose players. Stars will retire. But you don't over pay where you don't have to. Mal was one of our better players in the GF, but he didn't make a difference. Under pressure he too turned the ball over coming out of defence on that day. The club stuck by him through tough times with injury giving him security. The club was also has an obligation to give p'ship opportunity to the next lot of Swans that haven't tasted it & who sacrifice for team success.

Having said all that, the club will never begrudge Mal for getting the best remuneration for the last few years of his career, where he has every chance of achieving success in his last 3 years.
Win/win as far as I'm concerned. A 30 year old, 3 years at 500K. I would hope our club doesn't do such contracts for players based on one standout AA year.

My sources tell me that quite a few close mates of Mal are not happy that the club didn't work harder to keep him. He wanted 2 years with a clause that a third would be added if he was still going ok

I suspect the quid pro quo would have been a hefty wage in those two years. Would gave been hard to match GCS either way.

I miss Mal already. :(

We Are still predominantly team-orientated. This where our success lies. Buddy and Tippo are great additions but they are still two cogs in what is a good list.

Good luck to Mal but someone younger will step up.

A lot of other supporter bases can take a leaf out of our book. Mal is our best defender and an all australian this year...yet you will be hard pushed to find anyone on our board wishing him or gc any ill will. Certainly carried ourselves a lot better than other certain club's support bases

Remove this Banner Ad

Back