Goodbye My Friend

Remove this Banner Ad

RIP The Scales

Never met the bloke and cant remember seeing many of his post but losing a red and black is one too many.

Made me emotional seeing you get on his great LOVE 'bigfooty' where he probably found so much enjoyment to let us know.

Id like to think people close to me would do the same for myself. Its great that you have.

Im sure he will be overlooking his beloved bombers in september next year.

I usually steer clear of other teams boards, but after a few supportive comments after I posted this on the HTB, I decided to repost this here.

---------

I wont claim I remember any particular posts he made, but as someone who has wrestled with depression over the years, my thoughts go out to his family and friends.

Remember him not by the battle he lost to his disease, but try to remember that he doubtless won a great many such battles as well.

Condolences to The Scales' family and loved ones, as losing anyone in such a way is tragic to those who were close. Someone taking their own life is their own way to solving a problem of something unresolvable, in their own eyes. At a time when someone makes a choice like this - there's no need to decide on right or wrongs - just know that for them to make a decision like they have, was the most important to them.

As forum contributors and Big Footy community members, we'll never know what was really troubling The Scales, nor do we need to. What we can do is take a moment to reflect on a father, a partner and a contributor of what we all love to be involved in... and be happy that we were a part in contributing into something that brought joy in his life. Take a deep breath and send some strength to his partner, who now faces a different path on what she was expecting. Finally, when at the footy, we all need to cheer a just a little louder - to cover for the voice of The Scales at our games, as he won't be with us in body... but will be in spirit.

RIP The Scales

Condolences to The Scales' family and loved ones, as losing anyone in such a way is tragic to those who were close. Someone taking their own life is their own way to solving a problem of something unresolvable, in their own eyes. At a time when someone makes a choice like this - there's no need to decide on right or wrongs - just know that for them to make a decision like they have, was the most important to them.

As forum contributors and Big Footy community members, we'll never know what was really troubling The Scales, nor do we need to. What we can do is take a moment to reflect on a father, a partner and a contributor of what we all love to be involved in... and be happy that we were a part in contributing into something that brought joy in his life. Take a deep breath and send some strength to his partner, who now faces a different path on what she was expecting. Finally, when at the footy, we all need to cheer a just a little louder - to cover for the voice of The Scales at our games, as he won't be with us in body... but will be in spirit.

RIP The Scales
Mate, that is beautifully said. Very poignant.

Firstly, sincere condolences to The Scales family and friends - my thoughts and best wishes go out to you.

Secondly, perspective - another big dose of it. Don't sweat the little things. Help others where you can and if you can't don't hurt them. Enjoy your life.

Finally, vale The Scales, loved your posts and POV. BF will be the poorer for your passing. I'm sure you will have the best view of your Bomber boys on Grand Final day 2015.

Shocked and saddened to hear this news, condolences & sympathy to The Scales family & friends.

Only really come across The Scales posts by reading the HTB and always thought he was one of the better posters over there so thanks Doss for letting us know over on the Pies board of his passing.

RIP

I usually steer clear of other teams boards, but after a few supportive comments after I posted this on the HTB, I decided to repost this here.

---------

I wont claim I remember any particular posts he made, but as someone who has wrestled with depression over the years, my thoughts go out to his family and friends.

Remember him not by the battle he lost to his disease, but try to remember that he doubtless won a great many such battles as well.
Thanks for taking the time to post this here. I read your post earlier and appreciated your heartfelt sincerity.

One thing that has come to light today is that despite our footy alliances we really are a community, and that's probably one of the reasons why The Scales loved coming on to BigFooty.

The only other thing i want to say is if you feel down or depressed reach out there is always someone around to listen, men especially need to ask their mates if there ok because that simple question can save another family feeling the pain and anguish we are feeling. So on behalf of The Scales i say goodbye to you all. RIP my beautiful man

So very true and important to reiterate. The black dog pays a visit to a lot of us from time to time.

My heart goes out to you and your family.

Hi Guys i am the partner of the Scales and I am not really sure how this site works but I will do my best. On Fri 28th Nov The Scales attempted to take his own life, after our daughter found him and administered CPR we were able to get him to hospital and he stayed in ICU for 5 days, on day 5 we lost him and the only joy that came out of this is that his organs were donated to many people. I wanted to let The Big Footy community know he loved this site almost as much as he loved EFC. The only other thing i want to say is if you feel down or depressed reach out there is always someone around to listen, men especially need to ask their mates if there ok because that simple question can save another family feeling the pain and anguish we are feeling. So on behalf of The Scales i say goodbye to you all. RIP my beautiful man

That is very Sad and I feel for You’re and His Daughter that She was the one who found him.

That would mess anyone up seeing that. Hope she is okay

Hi Guys i am the partner of the Scales and I am not really sure how this site works but I will do my best. On Fri 28th Nov The Scales attempted to take his own life, after our daughter found him and administered CPR we were able to get him to hospital and he stayed in ICU for 5 days, on day 5 we lost him and the only joy that came out of this is that his organs were donated to many people. I wanted to let The Big Footy community know he loved this site almost as much as he loved EFC. The only other thing i want to say is if you feel down or depressed reach out there is always someone around to listen, men especially need to ask their mates if there ok because that simple question can save another family feeling the pain and anguish we are feeling. So on behalf of The Scales i say goodbye to you all. RIP my beautiful man
I'm so sorry to hear of your terrible loss - your partner was a great member of this community, and no doubt a wonderful person away from the keyboard as well. I am heartbroken to think of what you went through in the days before his passing, and what you must be feeling now.

I will echo what other posters have said - that I hope that you aren't beating yourself up in any way, shape or form about this horrible thing that has occurred. Depression is an insidious disease and it is so important that you don't hold yourself responsible for whatever inner demons that let this happen. You are obviously a person of extraordinary strength, character and compassion to come here to pass on such awful news, and be thinking of others suffering from mental illness at this time, and I hope that you and your daughter can help each other through this. If there is anything that we as a community can do, please let us know at any time. My heart goes out to you.

RIP The Scales.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What an incredibly sad thread. We watched the out pouring of sadness with the loss of Phil Hughes in the media this week and that same sadness is now felt by the Scales family.

He had a good sense of humour and posted in the sympathy thread for a laugh. It just goes to show you don't know what posters are going through after they log off.

Those kind words that opened this thread were heart felt and moving. I wish the family and his brave daughter that found him all the best - may the happiness and love he brought them help them get through this heart breaking time.

RIP

Incredibly sad news. It is particularly sad that your husband found living too painful to bear.

I hope that you and your family find the strength at some time to remember and rejoice in the good times. RIP The Scales

RIP The Scales
Incredible words. I can only agree.

I am very sorry that this has happened.

I lost my father to this disease a few years ago, and I still have trouble talking about it. I can only do it here because this name is an online handle, and being on another team's board, none of you know me. When he was in intensive care, we had to listen to the neurosurgeon dispassionately tell us that there was nothing that could be done, that he wasn't really there anymore (I'm so sorry that the decision to turn off life support was so obvious that it was an annoyance to even discuss it, but it wasn't his father and his decision, it was mine; anyway, the nurses were examples of the very best that humanity has to offer), and then to discuss the organ donation. At this stage I'd been up for about 30 hours (hospital called right as I was about to go to bed). We gave up everything that was useful, but a part of me absolutely loathes myself for letting them take his corneas; Dad had the most piercing blue eyes, and I think they should have been buried with him whole, but at least someone else got the benefit of them, and a few lives were improved with his organs. When we were at the bedside, he started coughing. I looked up in hope that this was a miracle, but the nurse treated it as normal. It was just a reaction of the body, not the mind.

The priest came in to do the last rites. I'd been pretty strong up until that point, but as soon as I had to read a Bible verse the tears came. It got harder when my grandfather had to do the same. No one should ever see their child like that. I've never seen him break down, but there was a point where he just turned around and fell into my arms. Of course he apologised afterwards, and acted embarrassed about it, but that's his generation, I suppose.

We'd made the appointment to turn off the life support, but once we got there there was a delay. There had been a car accident, and the surgeons had to focus on that before they could do an organ harvest. So Dad got one more hour of assisted living. Eventually we got the go ahead, and the machines were switched off. I took one hand, and my brother took the other. In case there was any chance that he could hear me, I told him where I was, and where my brother was. I told him that he wasn't alone. After a few minutes his heart stopped. Then it started again. "Strong heart", said one of the nurses. Strong heart.

Once it was over, they rushed him off to the surgeons. We took my grandfather home, and then we had to see my grandmother (she can't walk without a frame, and her house has a steep driveway, so she couldn't be there). It must have been hell to know that as her husband set off that night that he was going to the hospital to see their son die.

To The Scales' partner and family, I want you to know that after all this happened I had a couple of times when I dreamt of my father, where he would tell me that everything was okay, and that he was in a better place. I don't know if it was a supernatural occurrence or if it was my subconscious working the issues out, but both times I woke up in a state of relief and joy. I hope that you get the same. God bless you all.

RIP The Scales

I am nominating this as post of the year. Right here, right now

A truer, more perfectly poet word could not be spoken right now

Id lost my father to this terrible disease. Contemplated it myself over the journey but family and friends have genuinely pulled me through.
Yoda_ thank goodness you had and no doubt still have the support.

Your little man is blessed to have a strong father in you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back