Review Goodbye to the Paddle Pop (From the jumpers anyway)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
For you lot it might be a symbol of failure, for me, it's a symbol of everything I've achieved in the past 5 years:

-Ditched a dud relationship
-Did every game in a season
-Moved to Brisbane
-Started doing more things I love doing

For the record, unless I'm getting it signed for a charity, I'm never buying a guernsey again. I hate the things.
I don't think you need to pin that on a guernsey to symbolise your achievements Kezz. That was all you baby.

Where it begins and ends with me really.

Been here a long time before this e-mail was written.

Will be here a long time after those responsible for it have gone.

Dear Brisbane Lions members,

This afternoon at 1:30pm local time the Brisbane Lions will officially unveil the striking new home and away guernseys we have for Season 2010 and beyond in a landmark event for the Club.

We will also be making the important announcement that Bank of Queensland - well known to members already, and Conergy - soon to become well known to members - will be our Major Sponsors for the next three years and will feature their logos on our bold new Puma jumpers.

We are launching these guernseys at Noosa Springs Resort before all our Season 2010 membership materials hit your letterboxes and email in-boxes from next Monday onwards, to meet the strong customer demand to renew our reserved seat members before Christmas.

The entire Football Dept and playing list have been in Noosa (until Saturday) for their pre-season camp and the Leadership Group have been a vital part of the design consultation process. Plus, as the ultimate owners and wearers of these jumpers, they all want to be involved in the launch to personally show their support.

The escalating risk of the new guernsey designs being leaked has also become too likely to delay any longer. We're determined not to experience another media 'scoop' without our supporting information as happened with the new logo around two weeks ago.
As valued Club members we want to provide this key information and artwork to you FIRST.

You will note the gold Lion emblem has not been replaced by a full version of the new logo. The powerful logo face has been incorporated and our proud Lion has evolved and been modernised to better suit today's competitive marketplace where 15 (and soon 17) other AFL clubs compete.

Our Club's most potent symbol - the gold Lion - now faces the front with the same fierce, steely-eyed expression of pride, strength and determination evoked by the new logo. We believe this image far better expresses the fearless spirit embodied by Coach Michael Voss, Captain Jonathan Brown, the Leadership Group and all our players who are chasing flag success in their own right.

Naturally, these guernseys retain the Club's traditional maroon, blue and gold colours for the home strip and the recently adopted 1996 Fitzroy red and blue colours for the away strip. As with the new logo, both guernseys have undergone the AFL's approval process.

Updating the logo then building this image into the jumpers has been a year-long evolution with plenty of discussion with designers, Lions members in Brisbane and Melbourne, as well as the coaches, players and Club Administration who gave this design their tick of approval.

The Lions logo and guernseys now work together in a coordinated and complimentary manner. With an icon as proud and menacing as the Lion, this just makes sense.
Important reasons to update the Lions logo and guernseys

The Lions' Mission Statement is to be the most respected, successful and innovative sporting club in Australia. Resting on past glories or just being satisfied with Finals Series participation are not acceptable. If we want to achieve our mission we must have an insatiable appetite for success.

So what does a Voss-led Football Dept do in this situation? The easy option is to do nothing and hope for continued improvement. The harder and perhaps more unpopular option is to take action, make tough decisions and act in the whole Club's best interests which is always the top priority.

But we can totally assure members the Football Dept invested an incredible amount of time and energy assessing our list against the other AFL clubs across the whole season prior to making these decisions. These were choices made in the Club's (not any one individual's) best interests.

Likewise, this same relentless mantra based on professional research and logical analysis applies to the Club's Administration as we also strive to create the most respected, successful and innovative sporting club in Australia.
So while Voss faces the on-field realities of being 8th in attack and 5th in defence, we are facing our own off-field 'statistics':

We are 16th or last on the AFL club memberships tally ladder despite our recent steady growth.

We are 15th on the AFL junior memberships tally ladder despite record Auskick numbers.

We've only converted 642 junior members from a total of 29,260 Auskick participants in 2009.

Our average Gabba home crowd for 2009 was 29,172 while the Broncos averaged 34,587.

Lions matches consistently finished 5th or 6th in Queensland's TV ratings behind the NRL Footy Show, the NRL Sunday Roast Show and the Broncos, Titans and Cowboys matches this year.

We are currently engaged in hand-to-hand combat with no less than eight other national teams for the sporting hearts and minds of Queenslanders.

Our Victorian membership has stagnated despite a series of initiatives to increase their numbers.

Just as the Football Dept assessed their eventual 6th ladder position, we as a Club cannot be satisfied with our 16th, 15th, 5th or 6th. These are the harsh facts behind the evolution of our Lions logo and creating a clear link between it and our home and away guernseys for 2010 and beyond.

Clearly we need more adult and junior members, more TV viewers and more match-day patrons. So to a restless and hungry Board and Administration the need for change is compelling. And a more modern and menacing Lion symbol is just one of various changes that must be made to really connect with a much wider, younger and more image savvy audience.

We remain acutely aware that members have extremely varied and sometimes quite emotional views on old and new logos. Designs, guernseys and traditions can be very personal topics. We hear that and have duly read, noted and tabulated every single message we received. The Club does appreciate and respects the fact this change has been challenging for some.

But the Club also applauds the strong emotion surrounding the logo and guernsey as it shows just how passionate our fans really are. That very same energy was clearly shown by members when the Lions fought back to defeat Carlton in that thrilling Elimination Final at the Gabba. That passion in the stands genuinely helped get the boys home to our first Semi-Final in five years.

Now the reality of that media dubbed 'fan backlash' is that by 5pm Wednesday 11 November the Club had received a total of 369 emails - 36 supporting and 333 opposing the design changes.

Of these 333, only 214 were current members from our 2009 total of 26,324 which represents just 0.8%. Most negative emails were concerned the new logo may fully replace the Lion as our symbol on the jumper. Having seen the finished designs, we hope much of this concern has eased.
Emails sent directly to the Club opposing the jumper change - 232
75 current QLD members
70 current VIC members
7 past QLD members
17 past VIC members
63 non-members or unknown
Emails sent directly to the Club opposing the logo change - 101
53 current QLD members
16 current VIC members
2 past QLD members
2 past VIC members
28 non-members or unknown
Emails sent directly to the Club supporting the new design - 36
23 current QLD members
5 current VIC members
2 past QLD members
6 non-members or unknown

It was interesting to see how many people felt the urge to contact us expressing their views when they were not actually members of the Club. In fact, many of these non-members or never-been members were the most vitriolic in their comments. Detached support is appreciated but paid-up members who unconditionally cheer on the Lions each year are the ones who ultimately count.

A Membership Dept review of a private petitions-based website against changes to the jumper could only confirm 11.7% of the petitioners were actual members - meaning a whopping 88.3% were not. Club staff treat all contact politely but we're sure many members would be thinking: "Hey, sign up as a member and then we'll talk!"

There is a saying that for every customer (member) who sends a complaint - ten do not. Our experience is that there are also many happy members who overwhelmingly don't write simply because they're content with the Club's direction.
However, let us take this opportunity to clearly express our sincere thanks to those members who took the time to communicate their feedback to the Club.

So we hope you consider the realities along with the emotions when the time comes to join or renew your membership for next year as Season 2010 is shaping as a blockbuster. Those who are not convinced will hopefully grow to like the design evolution in time, as it still represents the same Lions players they already support today.

The Club embraces rigorous debate from members who we are proud to represent, and we look forward to comments on our jumper now that all the relevant facts have been presented. We proudly acknowledge our history with the Fitzroy Lions and Brisbane Bears and we're now in a position to make the following points:

The Club's view is that the merger arrangements ensure the Lion is used in perpetuity as opposed to the other obvious option at the time - a Brisbane Bear - or any other options that may be dreamed up over time.

We say long may this continue. The Club agrees the Lion as opposed to the Bear should be used in perpetuity.

As shown above and below, the Lion has been used in a variety of ways in a range of logos and badges over the years.

The group proposing legal action has not (to our knowledge) objected to these various logos in the past but threaten to on this occasion. This seems inconsistent.

Our view is that the Lion will be the Club's logo forever - just as the merger arrangements intended.

In short, the Club fully supports and abides by the merger arrangements. It's a critical part of our Club, its history and its future.

These are exciting times for this sport that operates 'in a league of its own'. Thank you for being a loyal member and we look forward to the resulting media and public comment from this afternoon's major launch.

And as always... GO LIONS!!

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I wasn't a member at that time and that is the first time I have seen that email.
Just wow.:eek:
Any teachers out there, that provides a perfect example of how NOT to read statistics.
Making the change was bad enough, but that email really rubs salt in. I now better understand those who have not renewed memberships since.

It's quite arrogant and delusional isn't it?

Particularly when read in hindsight to where things are now, and the AGM voting numbers on the design (where Paddles got a whole 3 votes). Anywho - don't wish to derail the thread, but am confident that the way in which the change was introduced ensured its eventual demise.

On the topic of the thread - my favourite memory of the jumper would probably be seeing a few champions chaired off in it, particularly Lukey Power and Blacky.

I wasn't a member at that time and that is the first time I have seen that email.
Just wow.:eek:
Any teachers out there, that provides a perfect example of how NOT to read statistics.
Making the change was bad enough, but that email really rubs salt in. I now better understand those who have not renewed memberships since.
The irony of those stats is that all of those people emailed the club and signed the petition despite Bowers (and Brown) telling the world and media that the guernsey wasn't being changed.

Looking back on it, the paddlepop was the lightning rod that galvanised many members into taking a long hard look at our club's administrators. It took a while, but from that blatantly shoddy disregard of members The Lion's Roar was born, in concert with a more engaged membership that takes its responsibility to monitor the club's off-field performance more seriously.

For that I thank the paddlepop. Now piss off.

CarloLion

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Haha, average crowds of 29,000 for the 2009 season, we'd be struggling to average 20k this year......

screw you and all your false promise 2009!

Mr Ripper

Pink-cheeked and robust
Dec 21, 1999
Far North Fitzroy
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC
The irony of those stats is that all of those people emailed the club and signed the petition despite Bowers (and Brown) telling the world and media that the guernsey wasn't being changed.

Looking back on it, the paddlepop was the lightning rod that galvanised many members into taking a long hard look at our club's administrators. It took a while, but from that blatantly shoddy disregard of members The Lion's Roar was born, in concert with a more engaged membership that takes its responsibility to monitor the club's off-field performance more seriously.

Now footy as a whole needs its own 'paddlepop' issue...

This is probably the biggest thing that has come out of this whole saga, the rousing of a historically apathetic membership base which will hopefully long serve as a reminder to those running the club that changing things that make up the very fabric of this club without member consultation is an exercise fraught with danger.

Ray Button

All Australian
Oct 15, 2007
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This is probably the biggest thing that has come out of this whole saga, the rousing of a historically apathetic membership base which will hopefully long serve as a reminder to those running the club that changing things that make up the very fabric of this club without member consultation is an exercise fraught with danger.

Yeah, I was motivated to go along to my first AGM last year. It won't be the last.

Members will mostly feel a need to do this when they have no confidence in the incumbent Board and Management.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

paulige

Club Legend
Jul 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
3. "Fevola can, he can! And the ball will, it will!"

fevola_main_alt-420x0.jpg

Many look on at Fevola's one year stint at the club with dissatisfaction, but I prefer to remember his Lions career purely for this night of jubilation. Beating Collingwood (the eventual premiers) in 2010 off the back of some last minute Fevola heroics is one of my favourite Gabba memories.

His finest hour at our club - closing in on three quarter time, had has zero impact on the game. 2 sudden goals later, and a couple more in the final quarter, and one of our great Gabba victories was had. Atmosphere that night reminded me of the Elimination final the year before.

Good riddance to it - can't wait to buy a new jumper next year. :)

Albi_Mangler

All Australian
Oct 22, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NFL, NBA, Roar, FC Tokyo
I really can't wait to see the new jersey. I remember the day I first saw the 'paddlepop' design and thought that as a logo it was excellent, perfect for hats and other merchandise. But the way they meshed the two lions together on the jersey just looked terrible.

For me the 'paddlepop' years will be remembered for many of the highlights noted above, but mainly as a time when the Lions brand in Queensland really diminished, whether this has been due to the on field performance, off field issues, the rise of other Queensland sporting brands or the splitting of our base by the Suns I am not sure. Probably some or all of the above and more.

I currently wear an old jersey which I bought the first year I became a member in 2006 and have held off buying a new one until a better one came along, hopefully that will be next year.

Thank you Paddle Pop. I hate you, but God Damnit you've provided some memories. Now piss off please.

How would this look on a t-shirt:)

I really can't wait to see the new jersey. I remember the day I first saw the 'paddlepop' design and thought that as a logo it was excellent, perfect for hats and other merchandise. But the way they meshed the two lions together on the jersey just looked terrible.

For me the 'paddlepop' years will be remembered for many of the highlights noted above, but mainly as a time when the Lions brand in Queensland really diminished, whether this has been due to the on field performance, off field issues, the rise of other Queensland sporting brands or the splitting of our base by the Suns I am not sure. Probably some or all of the above and more.

I currently wear an old jersey which I bought the first year I became a member in 2006 and have held off buying a new one until a better one came along, hopefully that will be next year.

Quality first post.

That email, along with a reply I got from an email I sent was the first time I was angry at the club. Angry at those in charge, their stubbornness and complete lack of listening to the fan base they are trying to capture. They twisted and turned things to support the way they wanted things and flat out lied through their teeth. Now they are gone and soon too their beloved guernsey.

Balance restored next year, and the first time since vodafone was our jumper sponsor ill be buying a home and away jumper.

TheRoyLuckClub

Debutant
Apr 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?

How will children embrace the great game of Aussie Rules without having a cartoon character to look at during games!?

What's to stop these children flocking to the merchandise tent to buy the much more marketable Suns' guernsey, with its attractive McDonalds colour scheme?

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys

Started before that for me. I'd already been interviewed by Kelly Higgins-Devine on air a few weeks before on 612ABC talking about rumours I had heard of a jumper change and plugging the SaveOurJumper website.

They followed up with a comment by Bowers afterwards saying the club had no plans to change the jumper. Lying prick. A few weeks later, they dropped the Paddlepop on us.

Started before that for me. I'd already been interviewed by Kelly Higgins-Devine on air a few weeks before on 612ABC talking about rumours I had heard of a jumper change and plugging the SaveOurJumper website.

They followed up with a comment by Bowers afterwards saying the club had no plans to change the jumper. Lying prick. A few weeks later, they dropped the Paddlepop on us.

It was a surreal few weeks, I wonder if we could track down Bowers for a quick comment on the fact the jumper will be changing in a couple of months?

I remember seeing the version that was supposed to replace it. I'm still not sure what was worse.

Now to start the "Bring Back Oba" campaign...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back