Injury Goodes getting closer to a return?

Remove this Banner Ad

There's no "may" about it. He's finished.

In our top 5 ever. Pratt, Nash, Skilton, Lockett, Goodes.
He's ahead of Lockett, Lockett was a better player Goodes is a better Swan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree on both counts. I don't think Goodes is finished and Kels is ahead of Lockett in my book. Kelly led the team out of the dark ages and was instrumental in establishing the culture of the club we have today. Lockett was a prodigious talent but was not the heart and soul of the team that Kelly was. Kelly's talent was in what he demanded of himself and inspired in others. The highlights reel of his 200th game (shown at the SCG) left the audience in awe. His comeback from knee injury was in his typical brave style. He ran at a pack and pulled down a speccy, landing heavily. He played through seasons with broken ribs. He never gave up and the team would do anything for him. A true champion is more than a sweet boot and big hands. Kelly was an inspiration, a born leader of men.

I don't know about including Lockett, to be honest. He kicked most of his goals for St. Kilda. And he doesn't seem to have that much time for the Swans these days.

Pratt, Nash, Skilton, Kelly, Goodes - that would be our top 5.

In 2013, against Pies, many of us thought Goodes had a few more years in him. He'd lost nothing in pace or his ability to impact a game. Fast forward and, if he gets his knee right, this forced hiatus may allow him to extend his career even further. It's not so much age but on-field damage which tells on players. I'd love to see Goodes playing until he's 38 if his body is up for it. When he's on the field it all feels so right with the world. He just drags the team over the line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure why no,t I think that swans will do a lot better if goodes in the team, so by the way bring adam goodes back to the field so he will help swans win

In 2013, against Pies, many of us thought Goodes had a few more years in him. He'd lost nothing in pace or his ability to impact a game...........

I watched that Collingwood game from last year a couple of weeks back, Goodes was fantastic and looked like he could go another 2-3 seasons at least.

The guy is a champion and if he can get his knee right will be a big factor in dictating how far we can go this year. Even on a slightly wonky knee hes a lot better than our number 21 or 22 player, gives opposition sides a nightmare match up.

It's a real shame that we've been robbed of seeing Goodes work his magic week in week out over the last couple of years.

I remember on the eve of the 2012 season when everyone was talking about Goodes going for another 4-5 years. I just kept thinking, don't jinx him, knowing that one injury could really see an end to an aging player's career. I just wanted to make sure I took notice of his final years, he seemed like he had really matured as a player and was putting in more consistent performances. Fast forward 2 years, and we've really been robbed of being able to watch the great man with any continuity. 2014 could very much be the same, it's shaping up that way anyway.

Hopefully he can come back mid year and stay injury free for finals. If he doesn't come back, we'll always have the 2012 GF. The other thing that shits me as a fan was the racist incident during the Collingwood game. That's a game I've re-watched, and would have liked to re-watch again, but the incident really tarnishes my feelings of the game. He was absolutely killing it that game, just one of those performances that leaves you in awe, and then the incident happens, and the whole thing just turns ugly. It's not a game I watch with fondness, particularly seeing Goodes on the bench in disbelief that something like that would happen, particularly during Indigenous round.

I'll have to find another game to remind myself of how good Goodes was when he retires

I always picture that awesome goal in 2006 as a real goodes moment, but not keen to watch that game again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back