Google Chrome

Remove this Banner Ad

I never bothered investigating how to change the keywords, thanks for that. I just tend to type y -> autofills youtube.com -> press space -> changes to youtube search. So I guess the autofill has made y a default keyword. Similar with en leading to wikipedia.

What are everyone's favourite extensions?

I use:
* Adblock
* Chrome toolbox
* Chrome to Windows Phone (great for pushing links to my phone)
* Image Properties Context Menu (something I missed from IE)
* RSS Subscription
* Screen Capture (good for full length web page screenshots)
* Search by Image
* URL Expander
* Web of Trust (helps sort out dodgy sites)

I'll have to look at those.

My main extensions (chrome://extensions/):

1Password Beta
AdBlock
Better Pop Up Blocker
ESPN Cricinfo :thumbsu:
Quick Note

Yeah I've had that problem too. Seemed to cause an issue with BigFooty a couple months back, so I turned them off, even went back to Firefox, but all seems ok now.

I'm right on the verge of going to Chrome as my main browser..........or even Internet Explorer (Listerine you're mouth out Soonarmmeister!).

The latest incarnation of Firefox is pissing me off to be honest.

Is anyone else getting serious bug issues with it?
It won't snap screen properly, takes ages to start, freezes every over minute and still sucks serious CPU power.

Not happy Jan :mad:
I hate quoting myself but in this instance I feel I must.

I have been using I.E for a few days now and I have to admit, it's not too shabby nowadays. Not sure of security yet but MS do seem to have done some work on it, as they did with Win7....

I have to thank Apple for spanking MS into reality!!...they are finally coming up with some good software :)

I occasionally have to deal with IE 9 on servers at work, and what a pain it is.

IE 8 is fine, but with newer servers, I just install Chrome.

Nah, it just isn't right, I have been trying to use IE9 for a few days now but it feels.......well........."unnatural"!!!

However, Chrome is still a bit strange (still a bit too sterile for my liking!) as well so I guess i will keep using Firefox, for at least a while that is....I'm so confused :confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am just going to use Chrome and damn well get use to it :eek:

Anyone know if you can rearrange the icons across the top of Chrome?

Nah, it just isn't right, I have been trying to use IE9 for a few days now but it feels.......well........."unnatural"!!!

However, Chrome is still a bit strange (still a bit too sterile for my liking!) as well so I guess i will keep using Firefox, for at least a while that is....I'm so confused :confused:

first world problems :D

I've finally decided to ditch Google Chrome ...

... for Google Chrome beta.

Anyone ever heard of Google Chrome Canary?

There are a couple things in Chrome 15 I wanted to check out so I thought I'd take a look.

- redesigned new tab page (http://chrome.blogspot.com/2011/09/new-new-tab-page-on-chrome-beta-channel.html)
- new “bookmarks” entry allows users to access their favorite sites from this screen
- Google Sync option for Omnibox History
- few other things I'm noticing too in the Preferences

This is what mine look like (chrome://settings/searchEngines):

chromeengines.jpg

Been a while since I've looked at Opera, but I noticed that they handle search engines exactly as I suggested for Chrome (ie. single letter keyword). The ones below are all of the default engines.

operaengines.png

WOW, I can't believe it was a year and a half since starting this thread.
I thing the Goog has improved Chrome quite a bit since then but really it's the extensions that really do it for me.

That was the reason I left I.E for FF and FF for Chrome.

It's definitely the best browser now :thumbsu:

Laughable how in this day and age IE still have over 50% of the market share. I have given IE9 a try though and it's not too bad speed-wise, and they've integrated new features, but I don't like how the address bar and the tab bar are on the same line. A miss from me.

IE is preinstalled on all PCs so the figures could be misleading.

I will never ever go back to IE. Though I wouldn't rule out going back to FF.

Does anyone here use Google Apps?? Primarily Google Docs.

I use it all the time for pretty much everything (in my line of work I don't need intense features that makes Word better), but the whole collaboration aspect is pretty amazing in my opinion.

I also use it for file backup. I'll do a backup of my 'Data' Folder which contains everything I'm working on, upload it and keep around 10 versions of the backup so if some fail I can go back even further if need be...

And then the other thing I use it for is I'll upload heaps of TV shows and movies, so when I'm on the road I can watch them in browser from any machine (basically like YouTube, except its completely private - unless you shared the folder with friends).

I know this isn't Chrome specifically, but just curious as to what people use Google products for?

Chrome has been pretty good at adding new functionality this year. The inflexibility of the Omnibox that I bitched about 3-4 months ago was a glaring weakness, since rectified. Currently the two things I want are:
- better tab management (eg. Firefox Tab Mix Plus functionality)
- built in session management

Does anyone here use Google Apps?? Primarily Google Docs.

I use it all the time for pretty much everything (in my line of work I don't need intense features that makes Word better), but the whole collaboration aspect is pretty amazing in my opinion.

I also use it for file backup. I'll do a backup of my 'Data' Folder which contains everything I'm working on, upload it and keep around 10 versions of the backup so if some fail I can go back even further if need be...

I played around with Google Docs for a little while but I prefer to use Dropbox for now. The collaboration you mention is definitely where things will probably head. I sometimes question why my organisation, any organisation doesn't utilise cloud docs, even corporate gmail. We already have a personal identity, why do I need I new identity for workplace A, workplace B, etc?

To some degree I think non-web apps are pointless. Why do I need an Office suite installed at work, at home, on my notebook, on my tablet? Why are people creating apps for iPhone and Android rather than a web app (eg. look at http://apps.ft.com/ftwebapp/)?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back