#gopies

Remove this Banner Ad

This Friday night a very young team of Collingwood players will go out to attempt to do what generations of Collingwood's finest have done before them - to qualify for finals footy.

It's not going to be easy for them. Many of their team-mates who have done it all before - many times over - won't be there on the field to support them.

Yeah, there is a pallor of doom and gloom around the club at the moment. This season has fallen well behind previous years' performances. The high expectations of 'Premiership or bust' by many the Collingwood faithful haven't been met. We've got Ed's 'please explain' forum coming up. Injuries have already dealt a crushing blow to our 2015 season...

... Stuff 2015!

It's 2014, and we're still in it!

Let's have our lads answer the 'please explain' when they take to the field Friday evening. We ain't bust yet.

Sure, finals qualification isn't entirely in our hands. We need to climb a spot on the ladder. But heck, the team in our way have been the biggest chokers over the last 30 years and they're playing the ladder leaders away.

This weekend Collingwood will be fighting to finish eighth and Richmond will be fighting to finish ninth.

The team we have to beat Friday night are the reigning Premiers and have been our bogey team for years. But if you're looking for inspiration for us beating Hawthorn, go watch the last match we defeated them - 2011 Preliminary Final.

This weekend Collingwood's nine year unbroken finals record will be in the hands of many players who have not been there before.

It will be a young Collingwood team who will need to find a way.

Tim Broomhead

313032_gp.jpg

Jarrod Witts

131009_witts300.jpg

Tom Langdon

(Love this image of our pick 65 - only seven games then - dishing it out to Dale Thomas: "You're just a bogan from Douin")

Tom+Langdon+Carlton+v+Collingwood+fXfwSWMPk1Ql.jpg

Jack Frost

710218-aa302a0a-db2b-11e3-917f-8bca2ad8cf46.jpg

Jackson Ramsay

130418_ramsay300.jpg

Ben Kennedy

130310_kennedy600a.jpg

Add to that players who have had the barest of taste of finals action before.

Brodie Grundy

sp00132501-image.jpg

Josh Thomas

161480-josh-thomas.jpg

Ben Sinclair

Ben+Sinclair+AFL+Rd+19+Collingwood+v+Essendon+9VQYSQO2mEPl.jpg

Sam Dwyer

130414_dwyer300.jpg

Marley Williams

2060820.jpg

Lachlan Keeffe

860785-lachlan-keeffe.jpg

Get behind your team this week and pump them up!

Get your Collingwood mates to the footy. Fill the MCG with a sea of Black and White. Be proud and shout loud - as all good barrackers should!

Don't leave anything behind in 2014

You can be promised this: If our young team do qualify for finals this year, Friday night will be a game for the ages. It'll be the night we close a chapter of our past, and begin a bright new chapter of our future.

Be there!

Post your support in this thread.

Killjoys will have their Bigfooty accounts microwaved.

#gopies

Last edited:

We lost to Brisbane in 2010 and they had so many players out. They were bottom 5 and we went on to win the flag, yes this game will be the toughest game we are going in to since I can remember. We can give them a tough game at least. At the end of the day they have 22 blokes on the field and we will at least start with 22, why can't we win.

I have seen bigger upsets than what would be if we beat Hawthorn, I am pumped about this game, it's most likely going to be the last game I will see in a few years but if we win I will have so much respect for the young guys.

All I want to see is the boys to go out there, give their all, play for the bloody jumper that's bigger and more important than any other club and they will do us proud. Win, lose or draw.

If GWS can get to the Hawks within 7 points, why on earth can't we. We beat them with no bench basically and none of our big name players apart from Pendlebury.

Last edited:
... Stuff 2015!

It's 2014, and we're still in it.

Let's have our lads answer the 'please explain' when they take to the field Friday evening. We ain't bust yet.
This is exactly the sort of positive stuff I want to be reading around here. There's far too much gloom and doom, blame the coach(es), blame the fitness guy etc. talk and it's seriously annoying. We've had 8 years in a row of finals football (the longest current run of any club), and though it will take a near miracle to make it 9, we have a lot to be happy about and should be very confident about the next few years.

Indeed this year isn't totally dead and buried, and let's hope our young future stars can show just how good they're going to be!

I'll be there in spirit. :D:hearts::rainbow:

I love it when we have absolutely no expectations on us to win, or even cause an upset!

These young players deserve to have the experience of a rousing Magpie crowd at the G!

Go give it to them!!!

I can't wait for Friday night, not because it's a chance to play finals, not because I think we can win but because this is more than just about next week.

Our kids stood up last week and fought bloody hard. It wasn't just Pendles and Sidey who got it done with their class. Whites tackle on Buntine and Frosts shepherd to protect Dwyer late in the game were terrific. JT was superb, Broomy showed more class, loved seeing Marley outside of defense and Ramsay showed he wasn't out of his depth.

If we can bring that effort from the first bounce and maintain it, you just never know ... GO PIES!

Have been planning to go to this game all year with some Hawthorn supporting friends. they rang Monday to check if I still wanted to go (what with injuries and all) my response was a resounding HELL YEAH! Win lose or draw I go to support the team, whether we are the worst side, the best side or somewhere in between, it's what Side By Side means for me.

My mates don't turn on me when I'm down why would I walk away from the Pies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“Hope itself is like a star- not to be seen in the sunshine of prosperity, and only to be discovered in the night of adversity.”

Well you can't get more of a "night of adversity" than facing the reigning premiers at the G with about 12 of your best players missing.

I always believe this club is capable of the impossible, because we've done it before.:thumbsu::rainbow:

#gopies

We lost to Brisbane in 2010 and they had so many players out. They were bottom 5 and we went on to win the flag, yes this game will be the toughest game we are going in to since I can remember. We can give them a tough game at least. At the end of the day they have 22 blokes on the field and we will at least start with 22, why can't we win.

I have seen bigger upsets than what would be if we beat Hawthorn, I am pumped about this game, it's most likely going to be the last game I will see in a few years but if we win I will have so much respect for the young guys.

All I want to see is the boys to go out there, give their all, play for the bloody jumper that's bigger and more important than any other club and they will do us proud. Win, lose or draw.

If GWS can get to the Hawks within 7 points, why on earth can't we. We beat them with no bench basically and none of our big name players apart from Pendlebury.

Part of the reason is simply because we are Collingwood. It's much more difficult for Collingwood to pull off upset wins because sides are almost always "up and about" for a clash with the Pies. They know there will be a big crowd and we are universally hated so sides don't drop their guard too often. On the other hand GWS are playing in front of 7000 people and sides are expected to do the business-complacency sets in and sides go through the motions.

Don't underestimate the motivating force of a big crowd ay the MCG.I think Malthouse once referred to Blockbuster Fatigue and this is exactly what he meant-sides are forever pumped to the eyeballs when they play us regardless of ladder position.

Having said that -an upset is not impossible, just less likely than if the Hawks were playing the GC or GWS

I'll be there. Friday night footy at the G. Nothing better! As long as the boys put it all on the line and give it all they have then that's all I expect. If its good enough to win the game then I'll lose my s**t. You just never know what could happen.

#gopies

Someone said it well before: this game's not really about finals or even winning for me. What it's about for me as a supporter is that this may be the last chance I have to cheer on my boys this year (other than the VFL side). These "boys" gave so much for us last week and many of them have gone above and beyond what anyone could have expected from them in their first and second years. They DESERVE our respect and our pride and our VOICE on Friday night. Win, lose or draw these baby pies deserve our pound and unrelenting support this Friday night and beyond. I'll be gargling all saturday (lucky we have a lot of salt water down here!!)

Go you pie boys!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back