Gorringe: I'm disgusted, Port lied to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not defending the bloke, because he is a sook, but the 'Anti David Rodan' fan page is a complete joke - literally. His family are Crows supporters, and the information panel of the group says 'after serious thought about this young powerhouse i have come to a decision that no one should be that buff and that small....be anti rodan with me', with every single post on the page saying how much they love Rodan. It's a joke, not a hate group, christ people.

As for his reaction to the trade period and the media interview - yeah, what a campaigner. I'd be suprised if he gets a game in the AFL this year.

Cheers for this post. I was about to look this up. Saved 30 minutes of my life.

As much of a dick he may be, Port shouldn't have ****** him around.
To be fair he ducked us around first. He was talking with us last year and requested a trade (he was uncontracted). He then signed a two year deal with GC. Then, this year, while contacted and while we chase Ryder, he requests it again. After turning us down the year before.

I'm starting to get annoyed at contracted players requesting trades all the time. If contracts aren't properly enforced, what's the point of even having them?

Prepare to continue to be annoyed.

I'm starting to get annoyed at contracted players requesting trades all the time. If contracts aren't properly enforced, what's the point of even having them?

The thing is, there's no disincentive for the player at the moment. If the clubs had the ability to or were willing to trade a player anywhere, the players might think twice about requesting a trade under contract.

And it should be that way anyway IMO. Being able to trade players who are out of contract has always been somewhat nonsensical, but now that free agency is here, it's just farcical. Uncontracted players should be free agents, not tradeable assets.

Requesting a trade for more opportunity isn't the problem, it is requesting a trade to just one club which really hinders the ability of the club to get adequate compensation.

Trading and a freedom of movement is all about a compromise so that players do not feel the normal conditions of employment are unreasonable, however, restraint of trade largely related to your ability for equitable trade, it is not so much a freedom of choice right. Players are able to specify the terms of their remuneration so the only real restraint of trade within the ALF is the salary cap.

Players, however, have taken the freedom to trade as a freedom of choice, this both hinders the ability of the AFL to create a level playing field and bestows a right that is not legally provided, it would be like trying to take a department store to court on restraint of trade for being forced to work in a particular department. AFL is the employer, the clubs are effectively the departments which sub-contract from the AFL.

Players have been given too much freedom of choice, this makes the draft less effective as a mechanism for achieving equality. AFL needs to send a message out that they will not allow players to transfer within their first two years and that a failure of a player to execute a contract they have signed will result in de-registration for the greater of two years or the remaining length of their contract.

Players want both security of a long-term contract and to pick and choose when they can pack their bags and leave, you can't have it both ways. If you want flexibility then just ask for one year contracts, if you want security then you have to commit to it as the club is committed to paying you as long as you turn up and try.

is it just me, or is the current generation of players full of entitled, whiny, selfish campaigners who think their s**t dont stink? I'm kind of over these campaigners. Got way better to do with my hard earned than buy them a better latte.

I think that's just young people (16-22 especially) in general these days really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

is it just me, or is the current generation of players full of entitled, whiny, selfish campaigners who think their s**t dont stink? I'm kind of over these campaigners. Got way better to do with my hard earned than buy them a better latte.

It's a Gen Y thing. I have a lot of employees in this age group and they are the most difficult to manage. Want to know everything, believe they are entitled to everything and expect promotion after doing nothing to warrant it. I've had to suck it up, but give me a 35 year old rather than a 22 year old any day. Of course this is a generalisation, but it is more often than not proven. Comes from having no personal responsibility instilled by parents and led to believe that you are somehow entitled to a job, big money and easy conditions.

Had one kid wanted his Dad to be in his performance review to make sure it was conducted fairly. Needless to say it didn't happen!

I'm torn on this guy. On one hand its pretty badass for a psuedo public figure to take the time to 1 star an establishment that jerked him around while he wasn't important enough to be playing 1's or 2's, on the other it is really really low and potentially racist that he is the admin of the anti david rodan FB page.

I thought AFL teams had social media ethics guidlines and no no's that players were held to? Gorringe is too irrelevant to be enforced?

Meanwhile, at age 9...

"I'm so disgusted, mum and dad lied to me"

age.com.au/gorringe-on-santa-childhood-bombshell/story-554732

Are you serious? Why is it potentially racist?

It's a Gen Y thing. I have a lot of employees in this age group and they are the most difficult to manage. Want to know everything, believe they are entitled to everything and expect promotion after doing nothing to warrant it. I've had to suck it up, but give me a 35 year old rather than a 22 year old any day. Of course this is a generalisation, but it is more often than not proven. Comes from having no personal responsibility instilled by parents and led to believe that you are somehow entitled to a job, big money and easy conditions.

Had one kid wanted his Dad to be in his performance review to make sure it was conducted fairly. Needless to say it didn't happen!
Agreed and liked.

Had one lad come in with six months experience and thought that his "double" degree of engineering and commerce meant he was qualified enough that in a year or so he should be heading up a national business unit as part of a global expansion. Think his surname rhymed with orange? Luckily I couldn't see what he wrote on Facebook against me.

I'm all for "go get em" attitude but the sense of entitlement is just suffocating.

Not all thankfully. Lots of squeaky hinges ATM

The thing is, there's no disincentive for the player at the moment. If the clubs had the ability to or were willing to trade a player anywhere, the players might think twice about requesting a trade under contract.

if you poach a contracted player you should have to pay the last years $$'s directly to the other club.

eg Lions pay Pies Beams last year as compensation.

if you poach a contracted player you should have to pay the last years $$'s directly to the other club.

eg Lions pay Pies Beams last year as compensation.

Or you should have to trade something the other way to match salaries on the contract(s) and balance the salary cap. You know, like they've been doing simply and easily for years in other sports.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back