Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
Harry is a B+

I thought that hair-cut would give him some appeal to the fans but evidently its not enough. He hasnt even said one word about the dali lama.... He done all he could for a high rating although I'll admit that the name change is a bit of a hurdle. I suggest that Heritier does a Vic Bitter commercial...

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Marsh rated higher than Cloke? Is this like a Justin Beiber fascination type thing? I love these threads on BF.... Personally I'd give Jamie Elliot an A+ because he's so cute..

blaze036

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gumbies FC
Marsh rated higher than Cloke? Is this like a Justin Beiber fascination type thing? I love these threads on BF.... Personally I'd give Jamie Elliot an A+ because he's so cute..

It's about how they should be performing vs how they are performing.

No one is suggesting Marsh is playing better than cloke, just in terms of where they are in their careers Marsh is relatively performing better relatively. if you remember the 4 games before North Cloke was terrible.

Basically Cloke has been well below his best while Marsh is meeting expectations

Last edited:

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
It's about how they should be performing vs how they are performing.

No one is suggesting Marsh is playing better than cloke, just in terms of where they are in their careers Marsh is relatively performing better relatively. if you remember the 4 games before North Cloke was terrible.

Basically Cloke has been well below his best while Marsh is meeting expectations

I'm sure he'll be happy to know that he's meeting your expectations. I need to stay clear of threads like this.

Mar 23, 2010
Section 24 subsection B3 JUST GOT REPEALED.
AFL Club
Collingwood
OP did say
how a player should be performing taking all things into consideration

so do understand certain aspects of players have been rated stronger than others - defensive accountability, experience etc.

good read. we're beating the teams we should beat. challenging the rest. (apart from one)

content at present.

I think we're underrating Goldy's value a bit. He has been very good IMO. His numbers across the board are pretty good (equal club leader in goal assists, touches & goals up, clangers at a career low etc) but it's the pressure that he brings that makes him so valuable to the side. The main thing that has made us look better as a team over the last few weeks has been our intensity/pressure and him, along with guys like Blair, are the main exponents of it. I reckon he'd be one of the first picked by the selection committee.

blaze036

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gumbies FC
I think we're underrating Goldy's value a bit. He has been very good IMO. His numbers across the board are pretty good (equal club leader in goal assists, touches & goals up, clangers at a career low etc) but it's the pressure that he brings that makes him so valuable to the side. The main thing that has made us look better as a team over the last few weeks has been our intensity/pressure and him, along with guys like Blair, are the main exponents of it. I reckon he'd be one of the first picked by the selection committee.

Goldy is an interesting one.. his pressure is definitely very valuable but he struggles to get lots of the ball and he has always been a fumbler. Has to be best 22 though

Goldy is an interesting one.. his pressure is definitely very valuable but he struggles to get lots of the ball and he has always been a fumbler. Has to be best 22 though

I don't think we need him to get a lot of the ball for us to be successful. He just has to bring the pressure 100% of the time. 12 or so touches and a goal a game is decent enough.

blaze036

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gumbies FC
I don't think we need him to get a lot of the ball for us to be successful. He just has to bring the pressure 100% of the time. 12 or so touches and a goal a game is decent enough.

He is never gonna be a 25+ possession a game type guy, but he is only averaging 12.4 disposals in 2014. Think he needs to take that figure up around 18-20 to take his game to the next level while providing the same pressure

He is never gonna be a 25+ possession a game type guy, but he is only averaging 12.4 disposals in 2014. Think he needs to take that figure up around 18-20 to take his game to the next level while providing the same pressure

lol, Goldy's never going to average that many possies, and frankly we're better off that he doesn't! Only has 6 career games over 18 touches, and none since 2011. I like the role he plays currently.

piedpiper32

All Australian
Nov 24, 2013
Beijing
AFL Club
Collingwood
Goldsack is never going to average 18-20 a game. Career 11.4, 2013: 12.3, even 2012 which was considered a good year for him he only had 11.1.

Turning 27 in a month - classic what you see is what you get with him. He's not going to improve a heap so he has to keep up the pressure acts and one percenters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

blaze036

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gumbies FC
Goldsack is never going to average 18-20 a game. Career 11.4, 2013: 12.3, even 2012 which was considered a good year for him he only had 11.1.

Turning 27 in a month - classic what you see is what you get with him. He's not going to improve a heap so he has to keep up the pressure acts and one percenters.

I'm not saying I think he will, just what he needs to do to take his game to the next level which he has threatened to do a few times

piedpiper32

All Australian
Nov 24, 2013
Beijing
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm not saying I think he will, just what he needs to do to take his game to the next level which he has threatened to do a few times
If taking his game to the next level means having to up his disposals to 18-20 then he's going to disappoint. So 12-13 disposals a game is what we can probably expect and he shouldn't be judged too much on disposal numbers.

He just needs to keep up the efforts with tackling and chasing, plus hit the scoreboard. 2012 was a good one for him where he kicked 24 goals (1.1 avg). If he can get to that kind of level and maintain the pressure acts I think he can play a very valuable role.

Last edited:

blaze036

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gumbies FC
Tyson Goldsack as a C and Ben Kennedy as a C+ is...somewhat baffling...

One is 26 who hasn't set the world on fire the other is a kid in his 2nd year who played well as the sub and has gotten several BoGs in the 2nds, it's not a direct apples with apples grading on performance only. At their relative stages of their careers I don't think there is a huge difference in their output at the moment.

Wooljay

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2009
Omicron Persei 8
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal
One is 26 who hasn't set the world on fire the other is a kid in his 2nd year who played well as the sub and has gotten several BoGs in the 2nds, it's not a direct apples with apples grading on performance only. At their relative stages of their careers I don't think there is a huge difference in their output at the moment.

I guess if you're grading them relatively to their age and time at the club instead of their output then that's understandable, but I think Goldy is unlucky not to get higher than a flat C for his performances - particularly on the weekend.

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I only gave grades to the guys that have played in the AFL...
1: Fasolo: A
2: Dywer: D
3: Macaffer: A
4: Grundy: C+
5: Maxwell: B+
6: Goldsack: C+
7: Kennedy: C
8: O'Brien: B
9: Clarke: E+
10: Pendlebury: A+
11: Blair: C+
12: Ball: B
13: Adams: C+
14: Young: B
15: Witts: C+
16: Brown: C+
17: Beams: A
18: White: B+
19: Elliot: A+
20: Reid: N/A
21: Lynch: N/A
22: Sidebottom: A
23: Keeffe: C+
24: Thomas: C+
25: Hudson: N/A
26: Williams: N/A
27: Armstrong: N/A
28: Sinclair: B
29: Broomhead: N/A
31: Ramsay: N/A
32: Cloke: C+
33: Karnezis: N/A (excited to see him play)
34: Toovey: B
35: Scharenberg: N/A (excited to see him play)
36: Swan: B
39: Freeman: N/A (excited to see him play)
40: Seedsmen: N/A
41: Langdon: C+
43: Oxley: N/A
45: Frost: A+
46: Marsh: N/A

Rookies

37: Martin: N/A
38: Yagmoor:N/A
44: Gault: N/A
48: Mooney: N/A

Here's my version, based on performances in the seniors and weighed up against expectations.

1: Fasolo: A
2: Dywer: C-
4: Grundy: B-
5: Maxwell: A
6: Goldsack: B-
7: Kennedy: C-
8: Lumumba: B+
9: Clarke: F
10: Pendlebury: A-
12: Ball: C+
13: Adams: C-
14: Young: C+
15: Witts: C+
16: Brown: C-
17: Beams: A
22: Sidebottom: A-
23: Keeffe: B-
24: Thomas: C
28: Sinclair: B
32: Cloke: C-
34: Toovey: B-
36: Swan: C+
41: Langdon: A
45: Frost: A

Rusty22

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2010
Melbourne, Sporting Capital of the World
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Thought it would be good to evaluate our list 5 matches into the season and see how our list is travelling. The grades are based on how a player should be performing taking all things into consideration, with a C grade being satisfactory and E or below a fail.

The Gradings:

1: Alex Fasolo:

Returning from a very serious foot injury, Faz didn't set the world on fire early. Coming back from an LTI is hard enough, but to have to learn a completely new position at the same time is even harder. Has grown every week and played very well against North. Really showed his elite ball use, and could be a serious weapon for us this year replacing the drive Shaw use to give us. Fantastic return from a serious injury and is now a best 22 lock if he continues to improve.

My Grade: B+

2: Sam Dywer:

Solid start to the year from Dywer interrupted by injury. Only played the two games after damaging his medial ligament. Played very well in the VFL last week in his comeback, and a strong chance to come back into the side for Anzac day. Solid but not spectacular start to 2014.

My Grade: C

3: Brent Macaffer:

Well it's no secret Brent's career was in limbo for a while there, since his great 2010 as a medium forward he really has been disappointing. However after becoming a tagger he has really flourished. For me Caff's highlight of 2014 was his mental and physical annihilation of Trent Cotchin. Has turned into a super important player for us, and really balances the extremely offensive games of Beams/Swan ect well. Brilliant start to 2014.

My Grade: A

4: Brodie Grundy:

Well it was always going to be a hard year for Brodie. Giving the number 1 ruck role well before his time and is performing beyond what the vast majority of 2nd year ruckmen can do. Obviously a very talented young ruckmen, but needs to stop giving away so many frees (current #2 in the AFL for frees against). Ok start from Grundy in a very challenging role, fitness is mostly holding him back.

5: Nick Maxwell:

Many thought Maxwell's time in the best 22 was long gone, boy is he proving them wrong so far in 2014. Mostly playing as the lose general in the backline, Maxwell has been fantastic on pitch and the leadership he provides on ground means his impact on games goes well beyond the stats he gets. Will be best 22 the whole year and might consider playing in 2015.

6: Tyson Goldsack:

A player who has teased us for a long time with glimpses of becoming a very good player but hasn't quite got there yet. He is a honest hard working role player that coaches probably value more than the fans. His pace and desire to tackle have been providing great pressure for us lately and I can't see him being pushed out of the best 22 any time soon.

7: Ben Kennedy:

Well many of us thought Kennedy would explode onto the scene early in 2014 after a fantastic NAB series. Played well in his first game as a sub then dropped and followed it up with 2 BoG games in the 2nds. Obviously his ability to run out a full game at AFL level is a big concern for the coaches at the moment, but he is clearly going to be a very good player with another preseason or two under his belt. In the past 1-2 weeks his VFL performances have dropped off a touch. Should be in the best 22 in a few months time.

My Grade: C+

8: Heritier Lumamba:

Provides us with important run at carry at times and tries hard all day, has been a solid contributor without standing out so far in 2014. I think he still has some improvement in him hopefully we can see him at his best later in 2014. Needs to continue to provide that run and work on his decision making.

9: Martin Clarke:

After an unsuccessful year in 2013 and another preseason Clarke has no excuses in 2014. I have been really disappointed with him, his once penetrating left boot has become a slow and loopy kick, he can't mark overhead and is weak in the contests. Will 100% be delisted at the end of the year. Going back to Ireland really killed his career.

My Grade: E

10: Scott Pendlebury:

After becoming captain Pendles game has got better if that's possible. Simply brilliant most of 2014 while copping the tag pretty much every week. Clear 2nd best player in the league now for me. What a champ. Makes everything look so effortless and is kicking important goals in 2014. Will finish his career as a Collingwood great, maybe even Legend, he is only 26 and I reckon he has another 6-7 great years left in him.

My Grade: A+

11: Jarryd Blair:

The coach will like Blair more the fans. Does a lot of selfless things to help his teammates out and tries his guts out every week. That said he is a very limited player, and I'm not sure he is doing enough to stay in the team in the medium term with some really talented guys coming through (Freeman Adams Thomas ect). I think the sign of a top 4 team is having guys like Blair pushed out of the best 22 by young up and coming talent.

12: Luke Ball:

Age and injuries are starting to catch up to Bally imo. Looks slow on the field now, but will always be a champ. Could easily not be best 22 later in the year with some young talented kids eyeing his position. Club favourite and hopefully he has a good rest of 2014. I don't think his start to 2014 has been that great. Will be interesting to see if he goes on next year, OP and a knee reco wear you down mentally and physically.

13: Taylor Adams:

Hasn't been given much of a run so far this year, very talented young kid and I don't think he is suited to be played as the sub. Came back from a suspension and tore the VFL apart to put his name forward for Anzac day. Will become best 22 very soon and could force out someone like Ball/Blair. Was excellent for the giants as a 2nd year player so perhaps a little stiff to not be playing in the seniors already, but no harm bucks making a new kid earn it.

14: Clinton Young:

2013 was nothing short of a disastrous year for Young. Has come out in 2014 and it looks like his body is finally starting to hold up. He gives us much needed pace and pressure in the midfield and his long kicks are very handy to clear a suffocating zone. Can turn the ball over and struggle to get inside possessions, but I'm pretty happy with his start to 2014 and should be able to build on it for a good 2014. He is a limited player but he fits our team quite nicely.

My Grade: B

15: Jarrod Witts:

Needed to stand up in 2014 after a few years on the list and with our lack of senior ruckmen. I think he has shown some very good signs in 2014, he still has a long way to go but I'm happy with how he is developing, he was always a long term option. Club showed a lot of faith giving him a 4 year deal and I think it looks like a smart decision at the moment. The next step for him is starting to take some contested marks.

16: Nathan Brown:

Only 2 games this year before injuring his shoulder in a fairly innocuous incident. With Frost playing well and Keeffe already in the team might struggle to get back in for the moment. I think he is only a solid player after all his serious injuries, and I'm not sure if he is the long term answer in our backline. Hasn't played enough games to be graded too harshly.

17: Dayne Beams:

Very good player but I feel the fans may like him more than the coaches. Very good offensive player, but is 2nd on our clanger count at the moment (behind Grundy) and doesn't always work hard defensively. With Pendles copping the tag I feel he could take his game to another level in the rest of 2014. Good start to 2014, could be in AA contention at the end of the year if he gets to where he should, he is regularly kicking goals in 2014 which is good to see.

18: Jessie White:

Injured early but since coming back has been excellent. Really helps Cloke having a 2nd target for defenders to worry about, and he has done his job up forward and helped out in the ruck a couple of times. Very good pick up and will improve more once he gets use to his team mates. 7 goals so far is a very handy return.

19: Jamie Elliot:

Young gun who is coming along very nicely. I have noticed he is starting to get more consistency to his game and push up the ground more, has some serious talent and could become a future A grader. Loved his start to 2014 and becoming a fan hero. Only behind Schulz and Riewoldt in the Coleman :thumbsu:. Brilliant recruiting move by Hine

20: Ben Reid:

After a very exciting start to the nab series did his calf and not seen since. Vital player for us and an absolute A grader at his best. His injuries are a slight concern, can't wait to see him back. Have no idea how teams are going to deal with an in form Cloke, White and Reid.

My Grade: N/A

21: Quinten Lynch:

Can barely even buy a goal in the VFL. terrible pick up in hindsight and has played absolutely woefully every game for us except 1-2, where he was okay. Should be ripping the VFL apart instead he is struggling to impact. Career over, very disappointing and forgetful end to a good career.

My Grade: F

22: Steele Sidebottom:

I am more critical of him than some as I find his kicks regularly dropping a few metres short of his target frustrating. However a good consistent player without being a superstar. Runs all day and easily best 22. I feel he can take his game to another level and he may get better with age. Very durable and knows how to kick a goal.

My Grade: B-

23: Lachlan Keeffe:

Very disappointing start for 2014, so much so he couldn't even get in the team and lost his spot to a rookie (who has since been very impressive). Has improved lately but I don't feel he is at his best at the moment. Interesting to see whether the coaches prefer him or Brown to go with Frost. The positive is he has been improving every week.

24: Josh Thomas:

Yet another injury set him back early in the year. Has lots of talent as an inside midfielder but still has areas of his game to work on. Probably too early to judge where he is at as he is only starting to find his feat now. Will be interesting to see where he is at in 8-9 weeks time. Solid as the sub and against north. Hopefully the worst of his injury troubles are forever behind him.

25: Ben Hudson:

Will play for us this year and has been very combative in the VFL as always. Got to love huddo, gives it his all every week and is the type of guy you really want at your footy club. I feel his role at the club is more leadership/ruck coaching than playing at the moment, but he will get the call up for 1-2 games when Grundy/Witts need a rest.

26: Marley Williams:

Has come from no where to become one of our better players, who is seemingly unable to lose any 1 on 1 contest. His sentence for grievous bodily harm is on the 22nd April and I'm confident we should see him playing AFL again in a month... However there is a chance he could spend months in jail and potentially season over for him. I pray he is back soon

27: Tony Armstrong:

Widely criticized recruit and has largely turned into Jordan Russell 2.0 with less senior games. Haven't been impressed with him in the VFL so far and I don't think he is capable of being a good senior player. Will be delisted at the end of 2014 and we will be left scathing our heads saying why did we waste a list spot. The only thing he does well is 30 metre kicks under medium-low pressure and has good speed. Is built like a stick despite being 26 years old (only 80kgs) and that's probably one of his big problems and contributes to his lack of confidence. Good guy though and wish him the best after footy.

My Grade: E

28: Ben Sinclair:

One of Bucks favourites and you have to love how he goes about it. Brings elite speed to the team but his disposal lets him down often. Unfortunately been injured a lot in 2014 but I feel he will come back in the best 22 once fit. Expecting him to finish 2014 strongly. With Fasolo down back you wonder if he may be tried again as a small forward at some point.

29: Tim Broomhead:

Unfortunately broke his hand against Geelong in the nab challenge and hasn't been seen since, could potentially come back to the VFL this weekend and I will watch with interest. Hasn't had the best run since coming to the club with Glandular fever derailing most of his first season, has plenty of talent but is no certainty to make it. One to keep an eye out for and should debut later this year. Very good at getting in open spaces much like Sidebottom and he uses the ball well, can also kick a goal.

31: Jackson Ramsay:

I have been disappointed with Jackson in 2014 after he impressed me in his first year. Has struggled to shut down forwards and his kicking has been often poor so far, needs to lift his game for the rest of 2014. Not sure if he is going to make it, but I'm not writing him off. Hopefully he improves in the VFL soon.

My Grade: D

32: Travis Cloke:

Very disappointing for most of 2014. I expected him to have a consistent and great year, but he was completely beaten for the first few rounds. Came back to form against North and showed what he can do when he is on, and when he is on boy does he make us a better team. I'm expecting him to have a BIG 2014 from now on. We won't challenge the Hawthorns/Fremantles without Cloke in form

My Grade: D+

33: Patrick Karnezis:

Came to the club at the expense of Jackson Paine and has had to battle OP this preseason. Made his debut for the VFL side on the weekend and played very well kicking 3 goals. Is one to keep an eye on because the kid has seriously potential but could also go the other way. Good start at the pies and is another to keep an eye on over the next month and could be in the seniors soon. Good size and knows where the goals are.

34: Alan Toovey:

Coming off a knee reco is a very hard thing to do, but I feel he has been very good in his return and barely missed a beat. Didn't think it was his best game against north, but overall a very good start to 2014 and plays an even more important role with Sinclair and Williams out. One of the few players who improve their kicking noticeably and his hasn't lost any speed .

35: Matt Scharenberg:

The kid oozes skill and class, and seeing him in person he is built like a truck (must've been smashing the bench press since his toe surgery). Still maybe one or two months away hopefully from being considered for the VFL, but I reckon he won't stay at that level long. I don't want to pump him up too much but he could turn into something special and probably will. Pretty much the perfect player, great size, solid body, elite user and decision maker.. he reminds me of a more athletic Hodge. Can't wait to see him pull on the black and white. (Okay maybe I do want to pump him up..)

36: Dane Swan:

Had glandular fever for memory in the preseason, as well as a wrist reconstruction which has led to him starting 2014 very slowly. Seems to be building every week as he gets match fitness and confidence back and wouldn't be surprised if he starts tearing it up in a few weeks. Much like in 2013 he will probably be conditioning towards a big finish to 2014. Has a rare combination of accelerate and core strength that make stopping him very hard.

My Grade: C-

39: Nathan Freeman:

Did a nasty hamstring early in the nab cup and much like Broomhead hasn't been seen since. Should be back in the next few weeks and I think he will best 22 by 2015. Combines ridiculous speed with elite endurance and is already built like a mature player. He is a jet who can seriously play and will be a long term player for us. Very exciting kid to keep an eye on and I expect him to get some AFL games later on in the year as the sub. Could potentially be a very damaging sub as well. Very much in the Dangerfield mould.

40: Paul Seedsmen:

2014 loomed as a very promising year for Seedsmen, where he could really cement himself in the best 22. Unfortunately has had hip surgery in the preseason, but the good news is he should return to the VFL this weekend. I feel he is slightly overrated by fans, but his pace, height and penetrating kicks give him some serious weapons to become a good AFL player. I'm hoping for a big 2014 from the Seed, Shaw leaving opened up a big chance for him.

41: Tom Langdon:

After a very impressive debut which had most of the board very excited he has struggled a tad. Hasn't had the same composure he showed against Fremantle and his kicking has been poor. I would think to play the first 5 games of the season was well above expectations for him in his first year, and seems likely to be a good long term player for us. He has a good head on his shoulders and does a lot of things well. Good pick up late in the draft.

43: Adam Oxley:

Impressive 2013 from the Ox but his ankle injury has come at a pretty terrible time for him. Like Langdon, he has a very good head on his shoulders and has a very good kick. Unfortunately he may be watching from the sidelines a bit nervously as Langdon passes him in selection preference, with Sinclair Williams Seedsmen Scharenberg to all go past him soon as well. I will be interested to see how he goes in the VFL this year but I don't see how he becomes best 22 any time soon unless we have an injury crisis. A good rookie pick up but needs a strong 2014.

45: Jack Frost:

Fantastic start to the season from the Snowman. His ferocity at the ball makes him stand out on the field and he is such a brilliantly powerful and fast athlete that forwards struggle to get away from him. His bone crushing tackles and bumps are brilliant to watch, and does them all without giving a free away or getting reported.. lots of players could learn how to be rough without giving away frees by watching the Snowman. Needs to work on his kicking but he is a fantastic shut down defender. Potentially lots of Frosties in the VFL/SANFL/WAFL and his success is definitely going to help these guys get a much deserved crack at the top level. They work their butts off for years for a chance on a rookie list and it's always a feel good moment when one of them really takes their opportunity's with both hands.

46: Jonathan Marsh:

He was someone I was praying to get on draft day and elated when he took him with the last pick. If you haven't seen this kid play he is something unique. Looks like a tall forward but plays the game like a lightning quick small forward. He does the impossible regularly and has his own highlight reel to rival any player in the game. However there was a reason he almost didn't get drafted, he is a very raw player and his kicking is shocking. Sometimes gets lost on the field almost like an Irishmen new to the game. Looked terrible in the NAB cup but I have liked his start to the VFL, has impacted the scoreboard and provided some amazing run downs. He is a long term project player but It's hard not to get a touch excited by Marsh. If he makes it in the AFL he will generate headlines fast and could easily become the fan favourite.

(Rookies)

37: Kyle Martin:

Has caused a lot of debate on this board, regularly dominates the VFL and the stats sheet but the coaches don't want to play him. I feel he gives us a bad balance in the midfield, as he is too similar to Swan and Beams and leaves us very weak defensively. Has been word that he is lazy and doesn't do enough off the ball. Not sure what the future holds for Martin, he is obviously an elite VFL player but it's not guarantee he takes the next step up to AFL. Will be interesting to see where he ends up

38: Peter Yagmoor:

I have been one of his biggest critics for a while now. I feel like he isn't taking full advantage of his AFL opportunity and his kicking is quite overrated by some. He simply doesn't do enough in games, sometimes he will deliver a beautiful pass and look fantastic but it happens rarely and the rest of his game leaves a lot to be desired. I feel he was lucky to get this year on the list even as a rookie, will be delisted at the end of the year. He was traded for a late draft pick for memory and he had potential so can't complain too much, not every pick will work out.

My Grade: D+

44: Corey Gault:

Another player I haven't liked. Has been very poor most of the time in the VFL apart from a few glimpses early when he was a forward. Injured to start off 2014 and has just come back as a forward. Most think his only chance to make it as a forward. He does have some potential, he is a good size and can take a good mark but imo he will be delisted end of the year. Needs a very strong VFL year to get another year on the rookie list.

48: Caolan Mooney:

I was hoping/expecting Mooney to get a fair few AFL games this year, but his form to date has been disappointing. He has spent most of the year so far in defence, and I'm not sure whether that is a desperate experiment or a way to increase his development, I'm hoping the later. He has elite speed and vertical leap and is a reliable shot at goal, his lack of game understanding is still holding him back but I hope he gets another year, has only been playing AFL for 3 years and shown plenty of good signs.

My Grade: D

Or the Short version:

1: Fasolo: B+
2: Dywer: C
4: Grundy: C
5: Maxwell: B+
6: Goldsack: C
7: Kennedy: C+
8: O'Brien: C+
9: Clarke: E
10: Pendlebury: A+
12: Ball: C
13: Adams: C+
14: Young: B
15: Witts: B+
16: Brown: C
17: Beams: B+
20: Reid: N/A
21: Lynch: F
22: Sidebottom: B-
23: Keeffe: C
24: Thomas: C
25: Hudson: C+
26: Williams: N/A
27: Armstrong: E
28: Sinclair: C+
29: Broomhead: N/A
31: Ramsay: D
32: Cloke: D+
33: Karnezis: N/A
34: Toovey: B
35: Scharenberg: N/A
36: Swan: C-
39: Freeman: N/A
40: Seedsmen: N/A
41: Langdon: B
43: Oxley: N/A
45: Frost: A+
46: Marsh: C+

Rookies

37: Martin: B+
38: Yagmoor: D+
44: Gault: N/A
48: Mooney: D

Overall Outlook:

Our List: B+
Would like a few more high end draft picks but perhaps when Scharenberg and Freeman get on the field we won't be saying that. We are a young list with lots of young talent, and a core group of very good middle aged players. Having no young key forward is a bit of a concern, hopefully we can fix that this draft. Our Tall defending stocks is also a bit of a concern for me, I want another very good tall defender if Reid is playing foward, unless Keeffe can step up. A crumbing small forward would also be handy. All in all we are in good shape.

Our Season so far: B
Very disappointing start against Fremantle, since then we have been pretty good only going down to an impressive Geelong outfit. I'm a little more optimistic about our season than I was preseason but I still don't think we will make the top 4. We certainly are in good shape being 3-2 after a tough start. Can't see us missing the 8 now which will take the pressure off Bucks.

Most Impressive: Maxwell
Tossed up between a few, but the resurgence of this man has been fantastic and no doubt been a big reason we are in a good position on the ladder. Gives it his all every game and a brilliant leader. I thought he was gone coming into 2014 but he has proved the doubters wrong, well done maxy, continue to show what a fighter you are. I would sign this guy up as our defensive coach now If I were Pert. Wouldn't be surprised to see him a senior coach one day.

Most disappointing: Cloke
There again was a handful of contenders but apart from a 4 goal haul against North Cloke has been very disappointing this year. Missed lots of easy shots and dropped lots of marks he should be taking which no doubt sapped a lot of confidence from his teammates. Looks to be turning it around which is great. Is a massive confidence player so hopefully his 4 goal game can snowball into some AA form.

One To watch: Karnezis
Started on fire in the VFL and could of kicked 5 if he had his fitness. He is a mercurial player with lots of skill and I think he is ready to have a breakout year. Could be a sneaky for becoming best 22 sooner than most would think. Was also thinking of putting Freeman here as I think he could have an impact for the senior team this year.

So what are your thoughts 5 rounds in?

Any you agree/disagree with?

Most Impressive/Most disappointing?
yep, pretty much spot on mate, if you had told me that frost would be our full back playing on the fwds he has from round 1 to now, I wouldn't of even bothered to watch this season.
same with cloke if you told me he'd only have 6-7 goals to his name by round 5 , id be saying its a gloomy season.
This has been great to watch so far, very enjoyable season.

hollyfasolo

Senior List
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Best 22

Back N Maxwell N Brown A Toovey

HBack A Fasolo J Frost M Williams

Centre D Beams J Thomas T Adams (will be best 22 by end of the year)

HForward T Goldsack J White B Reid

Forward S Sidebottom T Cloke J Elliot

Following: B Grundy S Pendlebery D Swan

Interchange: B Macaffer H Obrien, C Young, sub: L Ball

Depth: N Freeman (pending injury) , M Scharenberg (pending injury), Patrick Karnezis, Tim Broomhead, Paul Seedsman, Ben Sinclair, L Keefe J Witts

Back