Grammar Nazi Picture Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Pictures tell a thousand words. Most of you can't write correctly as it is, so let's begin the grammar education as told through images.

1017571_10151714231555420_2053704243_n.jpg

Very nice but I am sure most will not see this thread. Guilty of getting a few of these wrong myself. Is there anything on seen and saw? I hate effect and affect but will try my best. I usually just construct another sentence to avoid altogether.

I am just grateful when people at least make an effort. If the first word of the post does not have a capital letter, forget it.

Top thread, should be stickied on the main board.

You know what, I didn't know that thing about 'Robert and I' being incorrect. That's how I would have written it, 'Robert and me' sounds like how a little kid would talk.

You know what, I didn't know that thing about 'Robert and I' being incorrect. That's how I would have written it, 'Robert and me' sounds like how a little kid would talk.

Constantly having to chip away at this one. I blame the "King and I'!

Yeah, neither did I. Which is what gave me the idea for the thread in the first place, have a bit of fun with it :)

5OyXJ.png

As a grammar nazi, this is one of my personal favourite moments. The simple rule is this - if the word following starts with a vowel sound, then you use 'an'.

Your posts give me an aneurysm.
You are an idiot.

If it starts with a consonant sound then you use 'a'.

I am a grammar nazi.
You are a troll.

As a grammar nazi, this is one of my personal favourite moments. The simple rule is this - if the word following starts with a vowel sound, then you use 'an'.

Your posts give me an aneurysm.
You are an idiot.

If it starts with a consonant sound then you use 'a'.

I am a grammar nazi.
You are a troll.

You have to also be aware of consonants that are pronounced as if they are a vowel, as in an hour (our), an XR6 (eksar6).

The one I don't get is when people insist on saying an hotel.

You have to also be aware of consonants that are pronounced as if they are a vowel, as in an hour (our), an XR6 (eksar6).

The one I don't get is when people insist on saying an hotel.

This is an affectation based on old English that often had the 'h' silent. Thus; 'otel or 'erbs'. Pretty much disappeared although you will hear some Americans (the keepers of 17th century English!) pronounce words in this way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't forget 'to wit' which confuses things with a different meaning - as in 'that is to say'.

Though anyone who isn't a 1950's southern lawyer in the US should never have cause to use it.

I didn't even know 'whit' was a word btw.

So much to learn from this thread, most of which I will forget within a week.

To be fair, it is a forum. If you want to know how to write pick up The Elements of Style by Strunk and White.

Mate of mine always used to say "cut off your nose in spite of your face". I gave up correcting him.

Come live in the USA guys. They butcher what we all know as English. Listening to the news, yes news, tonight and the reporter said that "his wrist had been inflamated for the past week"

:eek:

You know what really grinds my gears? People writing (usually on Facebook) that they are running amuck. Or a muck. It's amok, you bogan *s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back