Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

His defensive pressure is a major asset that adds something extra to the midfield.

His game was more impressive than if he'd got 20+ outside possessions.

The difficulty is that he will struggle to handle more than about 60% game time in the guts, so he will either be sub or be subbed in most games he plays this year.

If Hogan plays like he did on Saturday one in every or two or even three weeks, surely he wins.
I don't know. I think the Rising Star is a little bit like Brownlow voting - the high possession getters get the most attention. Hogan will kick goals but I'm not sure he'll kick enough to take the attention/votes off a ball magnet midfielder. Not that I think the Rising Star amounts to a hill of beans anyway. I'll be happy if Hogan stays on the field all year and kicks a handful every now and then.

I don't know. I think the Rising Star is a little bit like Brownlow voting - the high possession getters get the most attention. Hogan will kick goals but I'm not sure he'll kick enough to take the attention/votes off a ball magnet midfielder. Not that I think the Rising Star amounts to a hill of beans anyway. I'll be happy if Hogan stays on the field all year and kicks a handful every now and then.
The Rising Star is more of a hype award though. If the media are still talking up Hogan in 22 weeks like they are now, as a star KPF in the making, he'll get the votes.

26 disposals and 2 goals from Brayshaw in the scorps practice game today. I was there and despite Casey having a typically miserable day, this guy was an absolute highlight. he is a ferocious beast at the man and the footy and is just class. I'm not saying he played like Ollie wines.... But he played like Ollie Wines.

That's 3 strong Casey performances from him, iv seen enough, get him in the seniors rd 1, cause he's ready to go.

When Toumpas starts playing like Ollie Wines I'll be happy.

When Toumpas starts playing like Ollie Wines I'll be happy.
I cringe whenever I think of Ollie Wines. Before that draft I remember thinking we have to get this kid. Wines looked like the incredible hulk next to Toumpas onstage for the top 10 draft picks. Couldn't believe we chose Toumpas but thought there must be something more to him if he was picked ahead of Wines - but I was wrong. There is less to him, much less.

Nick Holland won it with 12 kicks, 8 marks 5 handballs a game for 15 games, he only managed 5 goals though.

Riewoldt: 10 kicks 8 marks 4 handballs a game, 22 games 21 goals

Koschitzke won it with s**t stats.

Looks like Jesse is right on track. :rainbow:

That was a long time ago. Since 2005, it's all midfielders/possession getters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mids these days do seem to come on quicker than they used to.

I reckon it has to do with the fact that you can throw them in the middle and they are one of 15 rather than the in say 2004 where they would have to go head to head with Michael voss all day

I reckon it has to do with the fact that you can throw them in the middle and they are one of 15 rather than the in say 2004 where they would have to go head to head with Michael voss all day
I tend to think the gear kids are on these days are more endurance based too. :)

If Hogan kicks 40+ goals in his first year he'll certainly be noticed.

I just thought he had an awesome game on debut with the game high tackles, going to be great for us. Would have been nice to have Petracca out there too. A young bloke who works for me played TAC cup against both of them and reckons he's never been smashed like he was when he played on Truck. The future looks bright....for once.

I just thought he had an awesome game on debut with the game high tackles, going to be great for us. Would have been nice to have Petracca out there too. A young bloke who works for me played TAC cup against both of them and reckons he's never been smashed like he was when he played on Truck. The future looks bright....for once.
The future has always looked bright. It looked bright when we drafted Strauss and Blease for their elite kicking and explosive pace. It looked bright after Scully's 39 possession game and Trengove's exceptional debut season. It looked bright when Gysberts racked up 53 touches in his first two games and two Rising Star nominations. It looked bright when Mitch Clark shunned Fremantle and decided to become a Demon, giving us a legitimate KPF for the first time since 2007. Hell, it even looked bright when we beat out Adelaide to sign Mark Neeld as head coach and he had us all excited about finally being a hard team.

Unfortunately, in all of these cases the future turned black just as quickly and we supporters had to experience another false dawn.

I'm not saying it will happen again; a lot has changed in the last 12-24 months. What I am saying is that I'll resist the temptation to crow about our tough-as-nails, superbly skilled midfield until the latest additions have played a few more than 1 games between them.

The future has always looked bright. It looked bright when we drafted Strauss and Blease for their elite kicking and explosive pace. It looked bright after Scully's 39 possession game and Trengove's exceptional debut season. It looked bright when Gysberts racked up 53 touches in his first two games and two Rising Star nominations. It looked bright when Mitch Clark shunned Fremantle and decided to become a Demon, giving us a legitimate KPF for the first time since 2007. Hell, it even looked bright when we beat out Adelaide to sign Mark Neeld as head coach and he had us all excited about finally being a hard team.

Unfortunately, in all of these cases the future turned black just as quickly and we supporters had to experience another false dawn.

I'm not saying it will happen again; a lot has changed in the last 12-24 months. What I am saying is that I'll resist the temptation to crow about our tough-as-nails, superbly skilled midfield until the latest additions have played a few more than 1 games between them.

I was feeling really good until I read this. Bastard :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back