Grand Final's held around the nation instead of MCG?

Remove this Banner Ad

King Notorious

There is only one☝♕
May 28, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Napoli, AUFC, Lakers, Patriots
Last night, David Koch proposed the idea of getting the AFL to host the Grand Final match around the nation rather than the MCG alone. Same system the NFL and UEFA uses.

What are your thoughts?

I doubt it, other Australian cities don't have the facilities for it. Where else can we find a stadium that will hold 100,000 people on grand final day?

Whilst others don't hold 100k, there are only 3 eligible stadiums at the moment - MCG, ANZ and Perth's new stadium. Koch proposed Adelaide Oval hosts it (bullshit idea considering SACA would s**t a chicken) by demolishing the historic scoreboard for a new grandstand to upgrade seating to 70k plus.

But his idea isn't to squeeze 100,000 people into a stadium, he just wants others to experience it as much as Melbourne does.

I doubt it, other Australian cities don't have the facilities for it. Where else can we find a stadium that will hold 100,000 people on grand final day?
Superbowl, a much bigger event, is regularly held in much smaller stadiums than 100 000 seaters. Realistically, they would be able to sell enough tickets to fill a 1000 000 seater, so seat numbers are not the be all and end all for them, why should it be for AFL.

1. Even up the draw (divisions, conferences, 17 games, 34 games - whatever).

2. Highest-ranked side from the H&A that makes the GF gets home state advantage.

It's pretty poor when we talk about having a fair competition, equalisation drafts, salary caps etc (see point 1 above) - trying to give every team an even chance - that we then (sometimes) hand a home state advantage to a side for 'historical' reasons, or because 'they have a big ground'.

1. Even up the draw (divisions, conferences, 17 games, 34 games - whatever).

2. Highest-ranked side from the H&A that makes the GF gets home state advantage.

It's pretty poor when we talk about having a fair competition, equalisation drafts, salary caps etc (see point 1 above) - trying to give every team an even chance - that we then (sometimes) hand a home state advantage to a side for 'historical' reasons, or because 'they have a big ground'.
It is easier for a non vic side to win at the MCG against a vic side then it would be for a vic side to win against say Port at AO

It would give them a reason to build them
Only problem is $$$

With that logic the Superbowl would be held at Ohio Stadium every year...

I'm just imagining Elder Park with on Grand Final day with the game being played at Adelaide Oval. The city would be alight!

I suggested a few years ago, have the grand final in the previous premiers home state.

1990 - MCG
1991 - MCG
1992 - MCG
1993 - Subiaco
1994 - MCG
1995 - Subiaco
1996 - MCG
1997 - MCG
1998 - Footy Park
1999 - Footy Park
2000 - MCG
2001 - MCG
2002 - Gabba
2003 - Gabba
2004 - Gabba
2005 - Footy Park
2006 - Stadium Australia
2007 - Subiaco
2008 - MCG
2009 - MCG
2010 - MCG
2011 - MCG
2012 - MCG
2013 - Stadium Australia
2014 - MCG
2015 - MCG

ps. WHo cares about crowd size. It'd be easier to get tickets to a GF at Stadium Australia than the MCG!

MCG has what, 60k available to the public (either via clubs or corporate packages) where as Stadium Australia would have 75k available?

The only people who lose out are the AFL members and MCC members. Woopde-doo. AFL makes more money out of it for starters (the corporate $$$$ in sending it to Sydney would be huge)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With that logic the Superbowl would be held at Ohio Stadium every year...

I'm just imagining Elder Park with on Grand Final day with the game being played at Adelaide Oval. The city would be alight!

But the AFL wouldn't allow a glimpse of that because it's not a 100K stadium.

AFL's job is to make money nowadays.

No.
While some things need to progress we have to maintain some traditions.

Keep it in Melbourne.

I'd have a fair guess that the money from tickets would be dwarfed by state governments bidding for the game.
It would also be a good way to upgrade stadiums easier.

The NFL uses the SUper BOwl to get teams to upgrade their stadiums, or build new ones etc.

Just take the Atlanta Falcons for example.
Founded in 1966 and start playing at the brand new Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium.
23 years later they break ground on its replacement, the Georgia Dome, opening in 1992, hosting Super Bowls in 1994 and 2000.
22 years after it opened, they're breaking ground on its replacement. It's expected to open in 2017 and is a finalist for the 2019 and 2020 super bowls. Almost certain to get 1 of them (probs '19)

If the AFL start shopping around the GF. We could very plausible get upgrades to ANZ Stadium (redesign the bottom level so the seats in the pockets begin to be used rather than having 1/3 of the field unseeable). Or Adelaide Oval (upgrade/replace the Western Stand and/or build a northern stand) then if Melbourne is missing out on a few, maybe we get a rebuild upgraded Southern Stand?

Shopping it around could really be beneficial for the entire AFL country wide.

It would also be a good way to upgrade stadiums easier.

The NFL uses the SUper BOwl to get teams to upgrade their stadiums, or build new ones etc.

Just take the Atlanta Falcons for example.
Founded in 1966 and start playing at the brand new Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium.
23 years later they break ground on its replacement, the Georgia Dome, opening in 1992, hosting Super Bowls in 1994 and 2000.
22 years after it opened, they're breaking ground on its replacement. It's expected to open in 2017 and is a finalist for the 2019 and 2020 super bowls. Almost certain to get 1 of them (probs '19)

If the AFL start shopping around the GF. We could very plausible get upgrades to ANZ Stadium (redesign the bottom level so the seats in the pockets begin to be used rather than having 1/3 of the field unseeable). Or Adelaide Oval (upgrade/replace the Western Stand and/or build a northern stand) then if Melbourne is missing out on a few, maybe we get a rebuild upgraded Southern Stand?

Shopping it around could really be beneficial for the entire AFL country wide.
Imagine a Tasmanian government throwing the kitchen sink at it...could benefit the state long term, new stadium and massive tourism profile boost.

Imagine a Tasmanian government throwing the kitchen sink at it...could benefit the state long term, new stadium and massive tourism profile boost.

Tasmania doesn't have a kitchen sink.

I think some people are underestimating just how much it costs to build/upgrade a stadium. Already talking about upgrading Adelaide Oval FFS.

Hosting at the previous premiers state would be ridiculous when you have situations like 1993,1995,1999,2005, 2007, and 2013 above.
Imagine 2 traditional Victorian clubs playing at Footy Park or Subiaco.

The only way to do it that would be even remotely fair, is to allow the highest placed finisher to host. However, due to corporate/entertainment logistics etc. you would need more than 1 week to organize. Therefore you would need at least 1 week break between Prelim and GF. Given access to grounds is already limited by the cricket season, the only way to do this is to shorten the season. Preferably I'd like to see 17 rounds, home team rotating each year (may even be able to squeeze SOO back in) but there is no way the AFL would go for that.

Hosting at the previous premiers state would be ridiculous when you have situations like 1993,1995,1999,2005, 2007, and 2013 above.
Imagine 2 traditional Victorian clubs playing at Footy Park or Subiaco.
And would 2015 be fair if the grand final is West Coast vs Fremantle at Melbourne?

ANZ Stadium?
SCG?
Adelaide Oval?
New Perth Stadium?

ps. Adelaide Oval is more world class than the MCG, maybe Adelaide should have the GF every year until you upgrade the other half of your ground ;)

ANZ Stadium?
SCG?
Adelaide Oval?
New Perth Stadium?

ps. Adelaide Oval is more world class than the MCG, maybe Adelaide should have the GF every year until you upgrade the other half of your ground ;)

The Southern Stand was upgraded.
I've been to the Adelaide Oval and it is fantastic. More world class?

If you read my post you'll notice I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of hosting it elsewhere, I just don't think that hosting in the previous winners state is a workable option.

Fairness has its appeal, but the issues raised here suggest the alternative is just as likely to be less fair.

Funny how its quoted as an unfair advantage to a vic team (hawthorn) but for thelast three years, the non vic opponeent has been the pundits favourite.

They got it right once of course

Remove this Banner Ad

Back