Great player, bad for the team

Remove this Banner Ad

A couple of discussions I've had over the last few weeks got me thinking about a few players that are normally very highly regarded - that whilst being good players may ultimately have been detrimental to the chances of team success.

Now I'm not talking players that harmed their clubs off field (Fevola, Carey for example), but those whose onfield performances lead to individual acclaim but may have been detrimental to team success.

Brad Johnson? Won three best and fairests - only once in a year the Dogs won a final despite playing during the Dogs best years of the past half century.

Brent Harvey? Consistent commentary about his selfishness, and has been publicly critical of the juniors in his side.

Jack Riewoldt? Well known to kick goals by running out the back of packs; often destroying team structure.

What do you think? Are there highly regarded players that may actually be detrimental to their clubs? If so, who and why?

Last edited:
Brent Harvey? Consistent commentary about his selfishness, and has been publicly critical of the juniors in his side.
Just want to point out that this commentary is also consistently incorrect. No way in hell is Boomer bad for our team. Its a bit bad that he is our best player, but that's not his fault.

I'd say a lot of key forwards could fall into this, making teams too predictable because they are so good when you would be better off spreading the load (assuming you have other competent players).

I'd say a lot of key forwards could fall into this, making teams too predictable because they are so good when you would be better off spreading the load (assuming you have other competent players).

Yeah fair comment. Anyone specifically?

Just want to point out that this commentary is also consistently incorrect. No way in hell is Boomer bad for our team. Its a bit bad that he is our best player, but that's not his fault.

You might be right. Commentary has been reasonably consistent (ie negative commentary). And I personally found his criticism of his younger team mates very distasteful.

This thread is owned by Richmond - Richardson. Riewoldt, Martin...

Other nominees include Boomer, Goddard, GAblett Senior, Brad Johnson, Travis Cloke, Silvia, Jared Brennan...

Ho ho..... controversial - I don't totally disagree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goddard can come across as bad for the team because he's angry and he whacks blokes (sometimes his own!), but as far as I'm concerned he's just invaluable for Essendon.

The consistency, leadership and expectation he's brought to the table have been crucial for Essendon, particularly in the absence of Watson.

As for us, some could argue Barry Hall. Brought a lot of publicity to the club, but we lost some of our potency in 2010 and where we had so many avenues to goal previously, we directed so many attacking plays through one man. It could certainly be argued that teams are much better off for having drafted and developed a forward that gels with the rest of the forward line and midfield rather than just plonking a very good one down there.

That said, a lot went wrong in 2010 that had nothing to do with Big Bad Baz, and I loved having him at the club.

Love how good players get grief for playing well, and team loses, the loss might have something to do with the half dozen spuds who couldn't get a touch.

Which is why I'm not sold on the idea as a whole, just intrigued whether its possible.

James Hird.

Ridiculous.

Wins a Brownlow, team makes a prelim. Captains a team to a GF, wins the Norm Smith.

You can level a lot of accusations at Hird for various things, but being detrimental to the side isn't one of them.

inb4 Priddis

Seriously, usually the guys that benefit from big wins, but don't contribute a lot to improving the team. Guys like Kyle Reimers, Ben McKinley, etc. Finishers that perform like flat track bullies. We all know the type.

If they were playing tennis they would be constantly playing 250s and avoiding tournaments where the top players frequent, despite being good enough to not have to take that sort of approach.

inb4 Priddis

Seriously, usually the guys that benefit from big wins, but don't contribute a lot to improving the team. Guys like Kyle Reimers, Ben McKinley, etc. Finishers that perform like flat track bullies.

They'd have to be a good player individually to qualify for this list. :D

Brent Moloney thread. One half of the greatest ruck/midfielder combinations ever (statistically) and yet was off-field a bully, and a whinger. Furthermore, once teams worked him out he turned anonymous and blamed everyone else for his shiteness. Pisses off and then proves to do the same thing elsewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back