Opinion Great Sporting Movies

Chasing the Dream

I'm Matthew Campbell from Sportsbet
Brisbane Lions - Pearce Hanley Player Sponsor 2014 Brisbane Lions - Ryan Harwood 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Daniel Merrett 2008 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Simon Black 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 29, 2004
The GABBA is my home
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Jets, Padres, USC, Utah Jazz
Just finished watching 'Rudy'.

Great film based on the story of Rudy Ruettiger, and American footballer who went to Notre Dame.

Was recommended the film by a work colleague who said I would enjoy it, and right he was.

Any other suggestions of sporting films? I saw last night that Ron Howard has made one on the 1976 F1 season and the rivalry between James Hunt and Niki Lauda which is apparently really good as well....

I loved Moneyball.
Saw it at the movies and also bought the DVD.

I had trouble enjoying the film after reading the book.

Anyone who's interested in non-fiction about baseball should try and get a hold of Ken Burns documentary series about the history of baseball. Absolutely riveting.

I believe there's a film coming out soon about Jackie Robinson, which looks pretty exciting.

I can't stand watching the sports themselves, but MMA/Ultimate fighting/boxing does make for some good films, absolutely loved Warrior and The Fighter. Also The Hurricane, Raging Bull, The Boxer and you know, there's that whole Rocky thing... (Also Snatch & Fight Club ;) )

American Football - Friday Night Lights, The Blind Side, Remember The Titans, Rudy, Any Given Sunday & The Waterboy.

Baseball - 42 (that's the Robinson one TomFC), A League of Their Own, Moneyball, Field of Dreams, The Rookie, The Sandlot, Major League and of course, Bad News Bears!!

Basketball makes for pretty poor films, except for possibly making the best 2 films ever in White Men Can't Jump and Space Jam.

Gabbatoir

Club Legend
Dec 23, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City
I can't stand watching the sports themselves, but MMA/Ultimate fighting/boxing does make for some good films, absolutely loved Warrior and The Fighter. Also The Hurricane, Raging Bull, The Boxer and you know, there's that whole Rocky thing... (Also Snatch & Fight Club ;) )

American Football - Friday Night Lights, The Blind Side, Remember The Titans, Rudy, Any Given Sunday & The Waterboy.

Baseball - 42 (that's the Robinson one TomFC), A League of Their Own, Moneyball, Field of Dreams, The Rookie, The Sandlot, Major League and of course, Bad News Bears!!

Basketball makes for pretty poor films, except for possibly making the best 2 films ever in White Men Can't Jump and Space Jam.

Great choices, although Coach Carter is right up there for me in the basketball ones. (And I hate the sport).

They were very light but I quite enjoyed the first Goal movie as well. Bit of a feel good one.

Chasing the Dream

Brisbane Lions - Pearce Hanley Player Sponsor 2014 Brisbane Lions - Ryan Harwood 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Daniel Merrett 2008 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Simon Black 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 29, 2004
The GABBA is my home
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I had trouble enjoying the film after reading the book.

Anyone who's interested in non-fiction about baseball should try and get a hold of Ken Burns documentary series about the history of baseball. Absolutely riveting.

I believe there's a film coming out soon about Jackie Robinson, which looks pretty exciting.
Reading Moneyball at the moment.. Very good read. Haven't seen the movie yet.

42 sounds like it will be worthy of a look....

Cool Runnings is a sport movie of sorts which was enjoyable.

Mar 27, 2006
Bribie Island
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket Team
Reading Moneyball at the moment.. Very good read. Haven't seen the movie yet.

42 sounds like it will be worthy of a look....

Cool Runnings is a sport movie of sorts which was enjoyable.

I always find if you read the book first, the movie is usually a bit of a disappointment.

I remember watching Cinderella Man at our local cinema, and literally doing the boxing motions urging him on to win that last fight.:oops:
Russell should clearly have won an Oscar for that role.Such an inspiring movie.
Might see if I can find the book.

Loved, Field of Dreams and League of their Own ,also.

Ali was pretty good too.
Hadnt realised the battle he had to get back into boxing and what a womaniser he was.

Chasing the Dream

Sep 29, 2004
The GABBA is my home
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boxing films usually go alright.. Loved Hurricane, and Marky Mark and Christian Bale were awesome in The Fighter.

The Wrestler was one heck of a film too:thumbsu:

The Wrestler was one heck of a film too:thumbsu:

Shoot! Can't believe I forgot that, one of my all time favourites, Mickey Rourke is amazing in it and should have got the Oscar for it.

kerplunky

Team Captain
Feb 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
SANFL-Central District; Team Sky
Inspirational sports movies are my favourite. Nothing comes close for me! A few classics have already been mentioned, including Rudy, Remember the Titians and Coach Carter. Moneyball was great too. My favourite movie, which is very underrated, is the 2001 version of Brian's Song. It was a ABC TV movie so it's hard to come by. Right behind that is The Flying Scotsman, as I am a mad cycling nut. Others include We Are Marshall, Glory Road, United and Miracle.

Did it get an Australian release, TG? I've been keeping an eye out but haven't seen anything.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I've never liked basketball, but The Hoosiers would be my favourite along with We are Marshall.

Pumping Iron about Arnie was a classic, but more doco than an actual movie.

Does Kingpin or Here Comes the Boom count?:D

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Another doco, Dogtown and Z-boys is one of my favourites about skateboarding's reemergence in the 70s.

And The Hustler, Colour of Money with Tom Cruise was ok but Paul Newman, Jackie Gleeson and George C. Scott in the original are all great to watch.

Did it get an Australian release, TG? I've been keeping an eye out but haven't seen anything.

It's slated for DVD release in July for the US, no theatre release here and don't know about a DVD release here either. I watched it through alternative means...

Here is a selection of some of my favourites. A mix of genuinely good movies and the sort of sentimental schmaltz that tend to characterise sports movies.

Raging Bull (easily my favourite)

Phar Lap

Field of Dreams

Hoosiers

Rocky

Chariots of Fire

Million Dollar Baby

Remember the Titans

Bull Durham

Judge

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've never liked basketball, but The Hoosiers would be my favourite along with We are Marshall.

Pumping Iron about Arnie was a classic, but more doco than an actual movie.

Does Kingpin or Here Comes the Boom count?:D

Yep, Hoosiers is a great movie, always had a weakness for Gene Hackman.

Also, Undefeated, about a Memphis high school football (gridiron) team, and in particular its coach, is pretty inspiring - it won the Oscar for best doco in 2011.

Chasing the Dream

Sep 29, 2004
The GABBA is my home
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Not a movie, but Eastbound & Down is one of my all time favourite TV series.

The Kenny Powers character has me in stitches.

It is so Spinal Tap.

I think I need to get a copy of Kenny's book, inspirational I bet it would be.

One of the funniest shows I have ever seen. Will Ferrell's cameo as the car salesman is awesome!!

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
One of the funniest shows I have ever seen. Will Ferrell's cameo as the car salesman is awesome!!

Word was season 3 was supposed to be the last, but Danny McBride surpised everyone by announcing a fourth season 4 would commence production sometime this month and would be due out later this year.

Back