Greatest AFL photo ever taken

Remove this Banner Ad

When I was growing up, in western Sydney with virtually no exposure to V/AFL media, I found a pic of Billy Brownless flying over I think Chris Waterman in a finals game in Sports Illustrated. Had that on my wall for years, was part of a TDK advert for memory. If anyone has that, would love to see it.

Was over Ashley McIntosh.

Great thread.

Needs some Rennie Ellis. What a pity this man was not a permanent VFL photographer, we need more real photographers to add to the sports photographers the game already has.

From: http://www.rennieellis.com.au/gallery/aussie-rules/20

robert_mcghie_mcg_1974.jpg

robert_mcghie_drinking_beer_mcg_1974.jpg

north_melbourne_v_hawthorn_grand_final_mcg_1978.jpg

Great thread.

Needs some Rennie Ellis. What a pity this man was not a permanent VFL photographer, we need more real photographers to add to the sports photographers the game already has.

From: http://www.rennieellis.com.au/gallery/aussie-rules/20

robert_mcghie_mcg_1974.jpg

1994. Pretty much one of the only Geelong players who could hold their heads high on the day:

mark9_zps45282fa4.jpg

*Image thanks to this site

robert_mcghie_drinking_beer_mcg_1974.jpg

north_melbourne_v_hawthorn_grand_final_mcg_1978.jpg

Holy s.h.i.t.

VFL/AFL photo goodness are those 2 links.

I'm gonna have a ball here.

There are some great quality photos from 1970 here. Didn't know that there was any colour shot of the Jesaulenko mark. However, as a Swans fan, there's only one photo it could be for me. When Leo Barry took his mark, we were watching it on a small television, and clapped generously, calling it a "good mark". However, when The Sunday Telegraph ran a two-page spread of the mark the next day, I finally realised how brilliant it was. Even now, that photo sums up the tense, sometimes scrappy, forever memorable nature of that game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a great panoramic ground level pic of this mark from behind. I didn't know it existed until a few years back:

jesaulenko_mark_grand_final_mcg_1970.jpg

where did you find this one if you don't mind me asking?
That's a brilliant photo, I remember seeing an alternate angle a few years back but in typical black and white...

art_wbAFLcollcarljezza-420x0.jpg

Original snap shots must be collecting dust in the AFL archives somewhere because those two photos above really give an extra dimension in which film footage cannot seem to replicate.

I edited that photo of yours and added some commentary + music to see how it looked, not bad but wish they had more video cameras setup in the old days so we could get an alternate angle to this classic screamer

where did you find this one if you don't mind me asking?
That's a brilliant photo, I remember seeing an alternate angle a few years back but in typical black and white...

art_wbAFLcollcarljezza-420x0.jpg

Original snap shots must be collecting dust in the AFL archives somewhere because those two photos above really give an extra dimension in which film footage cannot seem to replicate.

I edited that photo of yours and added some commentary + music to see how it looked, not bad but wish they had more video cameras setup in the old days so we could get an alternate angle to this classic screamer

Nice mate, how do you do that effect?

394905-afl-grand-final.jpg

1_GFHaSy12MW%204263.jpg

A couple of the best in more recent times
Both brilliant.
The first just symbolises that "draw" moment where everyone is just stunned for a moment. Its amazing considering normally at the final siren one teams song is played, but there was silence and a groan around the ground that I'll never forget even viewing it on TV. I think the same feeling was felt throughout people watching around the country. I had my birthday thing at my house with 2 giant TV screens set up and all 20+ of us were standing there silently just wondering what we'd just witnessed.

The second brings a tear to the eye. I dont think anyone could feel as much joy as him in that moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back