Remove this Banner Ad

Worsfold Scarlett McKay
McKenna Neitz Enright
Pe. Matera Williams Cousins
Ablett Snr Carey Akermanis
Daicos Dunstall D.Jarman

Cox Judd Ablett Jnr

Sandilands, Voss, Ricciuto, Buckley

Back half looks a bit short, great centre line and forward half.

I'd probably go a little different:

B:Scarlett Silvagni Wanganeen
HB: McLeod Jacovich Enright
C: Matera Williams Cousins
HF: Hird Carey Jarman
F: Daicos Ablett Snr Milne

R: Cox Judd Ablett Jnr

Int: J. Madden, Voss, Camporeale, Black

Most will say the odd man out is Madden, but during the 90s he was widely regarded as the best boundary line ruckman going around. Sandilands is a monster no doubt, but I've always felt that Madden was more effective. Camporeale also had great polish and a lot of dash in him, could've gone with someone else, but aside from Matera and McLoed, i didn't think there was a lot of pace to the side I picked and wanted an outside ball carrier to balance out it out a bit.

I really wanted Worsfold in the back pocket too, but couldn't fit him in.

FB: Scarlett SOS Archer
HB Enright Jackovich McLeod
C: Matera Williams Buckley
HF: Ablett Snr Carey Hird
FF: Akemanis Lockett Dunstall
R: Cox Judd Ablett Jnr

Inter - Voss, Ricciuto, Goodes, Rehn

Gee the 90's was a great time for football. I think the spine are nearly locks with maybe Scarlett and SOS changeable as they could both play on the talls and smalls.

The backup ruck was really tough - went with the duel premiership and duel AA ruck in Rehn - Sandi, J Madden, McKernan, Stynes and Primus you could make a case for.

So many great players missed:
Robert Harvey, Ben Cousins, Shane Crawford and Simon Black are the 4 massive outs from the midfield.

Chris Grant and Kouta were both incredible for periods.

Richo, Tredrea, Riewoldt and Lloyd very good forwards.

Guy McKenna, Gav Wanganeen and Andrew McKay fantastic backmen.

I have no problem with Madden - its Camporeale that is the odd man out.

He would be the odd one out if you did 3 teams and found a place for him.

Yeah, I feel that too. But for the life of me I couldn't think of another decent ball carrier with sufficient speed over a 50-100 metre run, which was the "spot" I wanted to fill. Really only would've been happy had I of been able to select Matera twice.

Maybe should've gone with Buckley instead, 50-60 metre pin point passes is normally the best way to move the ball up the ground. Just got the feeling my side didnt have enough pace in it.

Yeah, I feel that too. But for the life of me I couldn't think of another decent ball carrier with sufficient speed over a 50-100 metre run, which was the "spot" I wanted to fill. Really only would've been happy had I of been able to select Matera twice.

Maybe should've gone with Buckley instead, 50-60 metre pin point passes is normally the best way to move the ball up the ground. Just got the feeling my side didnt have enough pace in it.

I would go Crawford if you are looking for pace. Brownlow, AFLPA MVP, 4 time AA and B&F.

B: G.Archer, S.Silvagni, G.Wanganeen
HB: A.Koutofides, G.Jackovich, C.Grant
C: G.Ablett Jnr, G.Williams, C.Judd
HF: G.Ablett Snr, W.Carey, J.Hird
F: D.Jarman, J.Dunstall, T.Lockett
Foll: C.McKernan, N.Buckley, M.Voss
I/C: M.Ricciuto, R.Harvey, P.Matera
Sub: A.Goodes
Emergencies: A.McLeod, S.Black, T.Modra

B: G.Archer, S.Silvagni, G.Wanganeen
HB: A.Koutofides, G.Jackovich, C.Grant
C: G.Ablett Jnr, G.Williams, C.Judd
HF: G.Ablett Snr, W.Carey, J.Hird
F: D.Jarman, J.Dunstall, T.Lockett
Foll: C.McKernan, N.Buckley, M.Voss
I/C: M.Ricciuto, R.Harvey, P.Matera
Sub: A.Goodes
Emergencies: A.McLeod, S.Black, T.Modra

Buckley does not make the starting XVIII IMO. Harvey, Riccutio, Black, Goodes, Kerr, McLeod, Mitchell all have greater claim to Buckley's spot IMO.

Otherwise a seriously good team. Hard to argue against any other selection.

Really rate the McKernan selection. Was the original Nic Natinui but with actual football smarts and proper consistency. The last ruckman to poll seriously in the Brownlow?

Diesel Williams has to be in the side!

interesting you say this ... diesel was brilliant and I think he was the blues most important player in the 95 premiership but he only had 3 great years @ the blues 93-95 .... is this good enough to get him in a team 1990 onwards

ps; if i chose the greatest team i've seen he would be in the first couple i would pick

interesting you say this ... diesel was brilliant and I think he was the blues most important player in the 95 premiership but he only had 3 great years @ the blues 93-95 .... is this good enough to get him in a team 1990 onwards

ps; if i chose the greatest team i've seen he would be in the first couple i would pick

Yeah I think that is enough to get him over the line...and it wasn't like he was playing poorly in the other years either...

Buckley does not make the starting XVIII IMO. Harvey, Riccutio, Black, Goodes, Kerr, McLeod, Mitchell all have greater claim to Buckley's spot IMO.
Epic GF goal gets him in.

Really rate the McKernan selection. Was the original Nic Natinui but with actual football smarts and proper consistency. The last ruckman to poll seriously in the Brownlow?
He was the most threatening.
Excessively talented and in his best years ultra-consisent.
Extremely powerful footballer, had all the tools.
Played like an extra midfielder at the centre bounces, ran like a horse and covered enormous distances for that era of ruckmen.
Had the ability to go forward and take big pack marks and kick goals from 70 meters.
He would demand more analysis from opposition coaches than any other player in the league because when he was on song he was the most difficult player to match up on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not trying to be an Eagles homer, but the guy who had Neitz at CHB instead of Glen Jakovich... what the hell's up with that?

Jakovich was great. One of few blokes who could provide a proper challenge for Carey.

Really rate the McKernan selection. Was the original Nic Natinui but with actual football smarts and proper consistency.

There's nothing much to separate them on proper consistency.

McKernan has a 5.13 standard deviation on disposals and hitouts over his first 88 games. Naitanui a 5.25 over his 88 games.

B:Scarlett Silvagni Wanganeen
HB: McLeod Jacovich Enright
C: Ablett Jnr Williams Harvey
HF: Hird Carey Ablett Snr
F: Daicos Lockett Jarman

R: Cox, Judd, Buckley

Int: Stynes, Voss, P.Kelly, McKenna

good team ...

maybe being a little too un-bias if that makes sense ... i would rate bartel above a few in the team

B: Scarlett Silvagni Wanganeen
HB: McLeod Jacovich Buckley
C: Judd Williams Matera
HF: Ricciuto Carey Hird
F: Ablett Snr Lockett Jarman

R: Cox, Voss, Ablett Jnr

Int: P.Kelly, Harvey, Grant, Goodes

notice alot teams without buddy franklin ?

not sure why one of the most talented players ever ... can play either key position forward or flank

I'm selecting my team based on players who started their careers in 1989. So that would leave players like Silvagni, Williams, Ablett, Lockett, Dunstall, Brereton, Salmon, Stynes and R. Harvey out.

B: D. Fletcher, M. Scarlett, G. Wanganeen
HB: A. McLeod, G. Jakovich, M. Ricciuto
C: C. Judd, S. Black, P. Matera
HF: M. Voss, W. Carey, J. Hird
F: D. Jarman, M. Lloyd, G. Ablett Junior
R: D. Cox, S. Pendlebury, P. Kelly
Int: C. Grant, A. Goodes, J. Watson, B. Harvey
Emerg: S. Crawford, J. Akermanis, D. Swan

Coach: Leigh Matthews

I'm selecting my team based on players who started their careers in 1989. So that would leave players like Silvagni, Williams, Ablett, Lockett, Dunstall, Brereton, Salmon, Stynes and R. Harvey out.

mate silvagni played into the 2000's .... its your team but silvagni played long enough under the afl banner

Buckley should be in by your new criteria. Only 5 Essendon players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back