Greatest Inventions Of All Time

Remove this Banner Ad

There have been many so called great inventions over the years, but what does Big Footy think are the greatest?

I'll start with:-

The Wheel (inventor unknown)

The Steam Engine (Thomas Savery)

Henry Ford (motor car)

Thomas Edison (electricity / light bulb)

Alexander Graham Bell (telephone)

Charles Babbage (computer)

Wright Brothers (aeroplane)

Once we get a list of say 30, let's narrow it down to BF's top 10.
It will be interesting to see what we come up with.

There have been many so called great inventions over the years, but what does Big Footy think are the greatest?

I'll start with:-

The Wheel (inventor unknown)

The Steam Engine (Thomas Savery)

Henry Ford (motor car)

Thomas Edison (electricity / light bulb)

Alexander Graham Bell (telephone)

Charles Babbage (computer)

Wright Brothers (aeroplane)

Once we get a list of say 30, let's narrow it down to BF's top 10.
It will be interesting to see what we come up with.

None of the above............

The Printing Press (Johanes Gutenberg)

Agriculture wins this debate hands down.

Agriculture is the corner stone of our technologically advanced societies.

With agriculture, the group/tribe no longer needed to allocate close to 100% of all labour to food gathering/production. Leaving large portions of labour to be diverted to every other activity under the sun.

Metal working. Pottery. Construction. Herb lore/medicine. Writing. the lot.

Also, since hunter/gatherers no longer had to move around, it was possible to keep alive those who were no longer able to travel with the tribe, elderly, lame, sick, extra babies. People don't think of the fact that mobile hunter/gatherer groups had to abandon those who couldn't not keep up.

Plus, since they didn't have to move around anymore, primitive man was able to develop a much large range of tools, think about it, if you have to travel everywhere you need to travel light.

Agriculture, the corner stone of civilization.

Hymen Lipman. The pencil with eraser on the end.

Just on the OP you have the invention then the inventor in brackets then swap half way through to put the invention in brackets.

What is being defined as "great" here? Or indeed, invention. Tasmaniac is right. Agriculture is huge, but is it an "invention"?
The most influential (done plenty of times on here), or the biggest leap given the technology of the time.

OP, Henry Ford did not invent the motor vehicle. He invented the production line system of assembling them, a revolution in economic terms but not technical ones. (I had to look it up, but) Karl Benz is widely credited as producing the first motor vehicle.

Written Language.

It is what allowed knowledge to truly be passed on down generations, and also across cultures, tribe, cities, etc.

With only spoken language, people could still teach each other and pass on knowledge, but you would lose anything that a particular individual forgot about, didn't understand properly, or saw as not important in the small context of their existence.

Written Language allowed thoughts, ideas, experiences & wisdom to persist beyond the life of a person. Such knowledge could then be picked up at a later date by the right people - and debated, refined and built upon.

Imagine if all of a sudden the world became illiterate. All those skills we have - yeah we could try to pass some of it on verbally to a few people, but in a generation's time the world would be screwed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KBox-SuperPro-copy.jpg

Which animals have wheels

There's a few animals that use rolling like a wheel - primarily to escape predators. Some of the best-known are the Wheel Spider https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_spider and the rolling toad https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oreophrynella_nigra. There's a few other bugs and some lizards.

These animals just propel themselves by rolling their entire bodies (like a round stone or log). As I said, the axle means you can use the efficient rolling motion of the wheel with a steady carriage compartment - initially a cart body or tray.

I like those stapler removal teeth contraptions.

Two are on my desk - in fact, I am looking at them now. One is black, one is blue.

I probably use the blue one 80% of the time, but do like to change it up now and then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back