Greatets NFL catch ever

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...-greatest-nfl-catch-ever-20141124-11st02.html

Not bad but Carey used to do this stuff week in week out for almost 10 years.

Ha ha - I saw the headline yesterday and thought "oh yeah, an American does something and suddenly it's the GOAT. Bloody typical, pumping their own tyres"

Then I actually watched the video....

2db85a78ccdbcb45bd122315533ec8f0aec40ccd1b9b420fb9362d777ac2d28a.jpg

Andy Maher was crapping on about this yesterday on twitter and didnt like it when i mentioned Carey took those marks most week's... Its a great mark for NFL but thats it.

Carey is my hero, but you show me anything he's done like that.

It was a freak catch & this kid practices it before the games, so he knew what he was doing.

I agree they have gloves on & the old pig skin has a bit of a grip on it too, but as far as American Football or gridiron catches go it's definitely in the discussion for all time greatest catch.

I'm sure the guys at ESPN would love to go through footage of early nineties games of a sport they've never watched played by people they've never heard of for comparisons but it ain't gonna happen & they wouldn't find anything better anyway.

Excellent catch. Good on him.

Seen catches and marks just as good in footy and cricket.

I have followed the NFL and College for near 30 years, as well as played and coached the sport. It is in the top 3 TD catches I have seen.

I think a few people have missed the point at the difficulty level of this. The throw by Manning was hardly a pitch and catch, it was a bomb down field. The kid after running flat chat, and getting ripped down by a defender, has managed to launch himself backwards and catch it using his thumb and index finger. To still have the presence of mind to know where he was and still hold on to it when hitting the ground, it is a staggering feat of athleticism.

Yeah I have seen some wonderful catches in cricket and marks in football, but trying catching a ball the size of a pigskin in that manner. I shake my head at the devaluing of it, it would be akin to some soccer fan devaluing the athleticism of Carey's marking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They do, but their value is overstated.

Not for a receiver who has no intent of letting go of the ball. They are problematic for AFL because you have to take the gloves off to kick or handpass the ball accurately.

Not for a receiver who has no intent of letting go of the ball. They are problematic for AFL because you have to take the gloves off to kick or handpass the ball accurately.

They help mate, but they are no sticky glue. WR's still need freedom to pitch a ball on trick plays like reverses, WR throws or hook ladder plays for example. Plus most have a favourite arm to tuck the ball under when running. The ease with which players can be stripped of the ball further backs up that the gloves are not as sticky as people think, the Miami/Denver game yesterday is ample evidence of that.

Last edited:
He caught the ball in three fingers folks, he did it before the game in practice and did it for LSU at college.

I bought one of the synthetic gloves off ebay and tried it at training, they are pretty ridiculous when they stick, but catching the ball in your first two fingers and thumb is nuts..... The balls ain't small.

I have followed the NFL and College for near 30 years, as well as played and coached the sport. It is in the top 3 TD catches I have seen.

I think a few people have missed the point at the difficulty level of this. The throw by Manning was hardly a pitch and catch, it was a bomb down field. The kid after running flat chat, and getting ripped down by a defender, has managed to launch himself backwards and catch it using his thumb and index finger. To still have the presence of mind to know where he was and still hold on to it when hitting the ground, it is a staggering feat of athleticism.

Yeah I have seen some wonderful catches in cricket and marks in football, but trying catching a ball the size of a pigskin in that manner. I shake my head at the devaluing of it, it would be akin to some soccer fan devaluing the athleticism of Carey's marking.
I believe what you say but if that is top three then it must be up against an ordinary lot. Great catch - no question. But the hype has been extraordinary. Must say I have tried to watch NFL and it has to be the worst 'footy' ever. Probably doesn't help that I just don't get it but it is so stop and sart it is terribly boring.

I believe what you say but if that is top three then it must be up against an ordinary lot. Great catch - no question. But the hype has been extraordinary. Must say I have tried to watch NFL and it has to be the worst 'footy' ever. Probably doesn't help that I just don't get it but it is so stop and sart it is terribly boring.

Thanks for letting us know.

It's as good a catch as you'll see. David Tyree's catch for the Giants in the Superbowl against the undefeated Patriots wasn't as athletic. But it was on a fourth down, in a Superbowl, against a heavy favourite. Given the stakes, I'd rate it better. Lynn Swann had two great catches in the Superbowl when the Steelers beat the Cowboys. Same thing. The situation made the catch even more important/greater.

If you don't watch a lot of gridiron, I don't think you'd appreciate this as much as it deserves to be appreciated. I grew up watching it. And I love the AFL, so I"m not too biased. But a couple of things to think about.

First, reading the ball in flight when it's thrown...it just happens a lot faster in the NFL. He's looking over his shoulder, running full speed, and the ball is zipping in like a bullet. It's also a smaller, pointier ball, which may actually make it easier to catch. But I'd be pretty certain a thrown ball with a spiral is almost always moving faster than a kicked ball moving end over end. But a physicist could correct me.

Second, he's dealing with the sideline. So he's got a man on him (same as AFL), he's trying to catch the ball (same as AFL). But he's trying to keep both feet in bounds. I guess if you're running back with the flight towards the goal post you've got that to deal with. But you have to win the one on one contest, catch the ball, and keep your feet in bounds...all at full speed with a bunch of pads on.

Anyway, it was awesome. The modern NFL game is so fast moving, with so many receivers in the pattern, and so many guys in motion, it's a beauty to watch. Not everyone's cup of tea, of course. But pretty to watch.

If you don't watch a lot of gridiron, I don't think you'd appreciate this as much as it deserves to be appreciated. I grew up watching it. And I love the AFL, so I"m not too biased. But a couple of things to think about.

Sums it up for me - I really need someone to sit and explain the game. I just don't get it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back