Universal Love Greatness

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember being there like it was yesterday - my goodness pretty much the entire squad looked so young back then...

Watching this and seeing McCarthy made me think Beams probably had a few demons haunting him in regards to his mates leaving the club. I can understand him needing a change of environment.

Anyway, great video. I really wish we had a tough player like Leigh Brown (Edit- Just realised the player that looked like Leigh Brown at one point in that video was Goldsack, Leigh Brown was a late withdrawal) still in the side. Jeez that was a great side to watch back then, I hope we can get back to that level soon.

Last edited:
Made me smile and shed a tear
**** we where hot back then great footy

It was a weird feeling for a Pies supporter in 2011. That year is the only time I went to the footy every week and expected to win and the scary thing is we did........except for those f.....n pussy cats!

Great last quarter. Kicking skills, taking the game on. So much talent long gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was at the game and it emphasised and exposed the issues that the player group had.

We played like rubbish for 3/4's, were down by 24?? at one point in the 2nd half, then flicked the switch and dominated. Requiring to 'flick the switch' happened very often in the 2nd half of the year. We played a lot of games where one or 2 quarters we'd played poorly. Who knows why, looked to me like many players got ahead of themselves and it cost us in the end. The coach should have reined them in but his own culture and dealing with his own personal issues prevented that.

Undoubtedly our greatest chance to win a flag outside of flag years, since I can remember.

It looks to me like a good example of momentum footy. Adelaide dont seem to be playing. There's a lot of run thats' noticeable and some of the emotion looks good. However, I tend to compare it to the Hawks when they are at their best, and I wouldnt say that the skills were startling. With the Hawks at full flight, the pinpoint passing is noticeable. Here, it's typically kicked it downfield and contest the next mark etc. It is noticeable that everyone's involved but that happens when things are on a roll.

It looks to me like a good example of momentum footy. Adelaide dont seem to be playing. There's a lot of run thats' noticeable and some of the emotion looks good. However, I tend to compare it to the Hawks when they are at their best, and I wouldnt say that the skills were startling. With the Hawks at full flight, the pinpoint passing is noticeable. Here, it's typically kicked it downfield and contest the next mark etc. It is noticeable that everyone's involved but that happens when things are on a roll.
That daisy pinpoint pass to name one. We just seem to spray it these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was at the game and it emphasised and exposed the issues that the player group had.

We played like rubbish for 3/4's, were down by 24?? at one point in the 2nd half, then flicked the switch and dominated. Requiring to 'flick the switch' happened very often in the 2nd half of the year. We played a lot of games where one or 2 quarters we'd played poorly. Who knows why, looked to me like many players got ahead of themselves and it cost us in the end. The coach should have reined them in but his own culture and dealing with his own personal issues prevented that.

Undoubtedly our greatest chance to win a flag outside of flag years, since I can remember.

Agree with everything you said Bay Pie.

We sit at the players race at Etihad and I remember that game like it was yesterday.
One thing I commented on at the start of the game, which might explain the players mindset that year is Swanny and Pendles just walking through the banner and laughing and mucking around together. For three quarters we played like we didn't give a stuff and then like you said we flicked a switch......again.

2011 for me was definitely a lost opportunity because I believe we were the best team...........just not committed to the cause like the cats.

That daisy pinpoint pass to name one. We just seem to spray it these days.

Focus and a cohesive player group are the keys to precision footy, much more so than footskills.

And with our astounding 3 years of injury mayhem I'm certainly not surprised at the loss of cohesion within the group which of course dilutes focus. :(

It's easy to be a good shot for goal when everyone else is kicking them and you don't feel its "all up to you" to do it.

What sticks out to me whenever I watch our games from back then was when we were "ON" it was just manic pressure and running forward. It was very reminiscent of the 80's style hawks because we ran in waves (even from the defensive goal square) and players just backed each other in to win the ball so they ran from everywhere to join in. There were plenty of ordinary kicks into our forward line but because we moved with such speed, the oppositions defenders always felt under pressure and they often botched our ordinary disposals in any case. For mine, what I'd really like to see in 2015 is a return to that maniacal running game. Given even an average run with injuries (something that's been denied us since mid 2011) I'd like to see us hunting oppositions again, tackling in twos and threes and then bolting the ball forward before our opponents have time to regroup. This style of play is taxing physically but with a young, determined list it is achievable. Only Pendles, Sidey, Swanny or Reid should be able to slow the game down because their decision making is generally positive. Everyone else, get the ball moving forward as quickly as you can.

Focus and a cohesive player group are the keys to precision footy, much more so than footskills.

And with our astounding 3 years of injury mayhem I'm certainly not surprised at the loss of cohesion within the group which of course dilutes focus. :(
No doubt it's a mixture of that and a playing group that is less impressive than we would like when it comes to foot skills. We have seen players under little or no pressure burn the ball by foot. I'm sure it will turn around eventually. I'm also certain that it's easier to hit targets when everyone is running loose as we were in that particular quarter of football.

Why couldn't we do that against Geelong:cry:

No doubt it's a mixture of that and a playing group that is less impressive than we would like when it comes to foot skills. We have seen players under little or no pressure burn the ball by foot. I'm sure it will turn around eventually. I'm also certain that it's easier to hit targets when everyone is running loose as we were in that particular quarter of football.

Agreeed DW - it's a much overused quote . . . but so apt for our situation - in the last 3 years we have had the perfect storm of immense injury concerns, changeover from a long time coach, massive movements in the coaching, training and medical staff, player dissafection and sheer bad luck :(

I've been saying it for a couple of years now but it will eventually turn around - life's like that - and with the way we have recruited, with pace skill and height sidelined due to that perfect storm LOOK OUT LEAGUE when the storm passes.

Agree with everything you said Bay Pie.

We sit at the players race at Etihad and I remember that game like it was yesterday.
One thing I commented on at the start of the game, which might explain the players mindset that year is Swanny and Pendles just walking through the banner and laughing and mucking around together. For three quarters we played like we didn't give a stuff and then like you said we flicked a switch......again.

2011 for me was definitely a lost opportunity because I believe we were the best team...........just not committed to the cause like the cats.
Wasn't Pendles heard to say that the boys were a bit bored due to the lack of a challenge?

Great to watch.

For me highlights the need for a replacement Tarrant at the club and also Krakour. IIRC Leon Davis had a sensational year out of HB and the team balance was pretty good.

We'll be there abouts again when our youth comes through, we just need to be patient.

Love the video - don't normally watch 9minutes of YouTube when posted and the fact I sat through it rekindles my excitement for the future years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back