Green announces retirement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Presumably because he plays in a red and blue guernsey :rolleyes:

Proudly and passionately too.

Brad+Green+AFL+Rd+22+Melbourne+v+Richmond+9lJVR6pZaHjl.jpg

Brad+Green+AFL+Rd+5+Demons+v+Lions+5elUB0jSZgAl.jpg

Brad+Green+AFL+Rd+2+Magpies+v+Demons+24yKe94xRlhl.jpg

Brad+Green+AFL+Rd+2+Magpies+v+Demons+WdCB9KVN29Rl.jpg

I hope this was Green's decision and not the club telling him too move on. God know's we've seem that before...

Either way; Congrats to Greeny on an excellent career. Wasn't always the biggest fan of his, or maybe not so much over the past few years to be honest, but with every goal he kicked you couldn't help but to smile, especially in light of those finger waving celebrations! Absolute Champion. :)

A great servant who gave his all for the Melbourne Football Club and unfairly maligned by opposition supporters. Had the pleasure of meeting Brad back in 2000, an absolute gentleman.
I'll be there on Saturday to farewell Greeny.
Reckon we should retire the #18 for a couple of years as a tribute, and pass the number onto Billy Stretch if we pick him up.

bit shattered and also a little surprised that he's decided not to go on, he offers us something very important when he's in the sort of form he's has been lately.. although they do say once u start thinking about retirement then ur minds already made up and Brad has been talking about it for a while now.. Glad he's hung around and remained a one club player because he has honestly been a champion for us and is majorly underrated, although those understating him probably aren't able to remember that magic performance in 2000, which still remains my greatest day at the footy..
Thanks Brad, you've been a star for us, really hope he is kept around the club...

Apr 13, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just wanted to join in and record my congratulations to Brad on a terrific career at the MFC. I just think he is one of those players that maybe not be a champion of the game, but is definately a champ of his club and era.
Moreover i have never heard a bad word about him or his behaviour or attitude from anyone associated with the game, so more power to him!!
He is the sort of bloke that i really look forward to standing and applauding on grand final day when he is paraded around with the other retiring greats.

May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Did anyone else feel there were some messages in his retirement speech?

Particularly about player buy in and work ethic?
Yep, sounds like our training standards and fitness levels are below AFL standard, Neeld (and Neil Craig maybe) is raising the bar in one swoop and some guys aren't prepared to make the gap. Reading between the lines but that's been my take.

Congrats Greeny, you will be missed.

A great servant who gave his all for the Melbourne Football Club and unfairly maligned by opposition supporters. Had the pleasure of meeting Brad back in 2000, an absolute gentleman.
I'll be there on Saturday to farewell Greeny.
Reckon we should retire the #18 for a couple of years as a tribute, and pass the number onto Billy Stretch if we pick him up.

Let Green decide who to pass the banner onto.

Yep, sounds like our training standards and fitness levels are below AFL standard, Neeld (and Neil Craig maybe) is raising the bar in one swoop and some guys aren't prepared to make the gap. Reading between the lines but that's been my take.

Correct 60% of where an afl team should be. The boys have a big preseason ahead although from what I heard it will be a lot easier for them to get through compared to this preseason and should be less injuries associated with that.

Samsara

All Australian
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
The main board is a joke these days. For every good topic and converstation there is, it takes about 3 posts in before some moron makes you want to headbutt the monitor.

Congratulations to Green, and would love to see him stay on with the MFC in another capacity.

thetank

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Congratulations on a good career, you were sensational in 2010 and helped me from going prematurely bald.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We all know Brad's playing well now - but he kicked two goals in his first 6-7 games IIRC; he's been talking about retirement for weeks in the media.

I guess someone had to put a negative spin on it though. :rolleyes:

Viney

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 23, 2006
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Melbourne
Here is a quote from Jesse Hogan's earlier article, a quote from Mark Neeld:

''I think Brad's called it really well. He's got some energy left in the tank, no doubt, but ... probably not enough to get through a 14th year.''

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/green-in-top-form-but-its-time-to-go-20120808-23uq6.html#ixzz230LXCVuU

So I surmise from here, Brad was the one who told Neeld that he had some energy left, but not enough for a full year

From his second article:

Neeld, asked if he had requested the 2010 best-and-fairest winner to play on, reckoned that although Green had ''some energy left in the tank'', the player had ''come to the decision it's probably not full enough to get through a 14th year''.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/demon-loyalty-goes-to-hell-20120808-23umq.html#ixzz230M4F0VI

Here, he's basically lied by omission. He has made it sound as though this was Neeld's thoughts on Green and not Green's thoughts himself

What an utterly disgraceful piece of "journalism"

Wonaeamirri33

Lovable Whore With A Heart Of Gold
10k Posts Bay 13: Flog of the Year Chocolate Artist Ruby
May 10, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
FITZROY, Aylesbury United, St Pauli
The main board is a joke these days. For every good topic and converstation there is, it takes about 3 posts in before some moron makes you want to headbutt the monitor.

Exactly right.

As far as anything to do with the Demons is concerned on the main board, it's like an in-house BF version of TLC :eek:

The Bay looks like a bastion of sanity by comparison these days.

Just fired off an extensive volley within that WCJ troll thread about GWS by the way. Self-righteous lying hypocrites really s**t me. Like a bunch of Tony Abbott clones.

Doesn't help that we have some reverse trolling going on there also.

Have you guys watched the full interview with Brad? I must admit that while I was watching it I got the feeling maybe he has been pushed out a bit.. Just the way he kept saying I want to do whats best for the team, I don't want to take a young persons spot and that Neeldy hasn't seen the best of me..
Really hope this isn't the case

Watts Up

Debutant
Dec 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think what everyone who questions the decision by Brad dismisses when he said after consulting with his wife and family, he simply thought "It's the right time".

If Brad really wanted to continue it would be a different story. Alas he has made his decision with absolute clarity and the right send off (4 weeks) with two home games will eventuate.

Well done Brad Green !

Viney

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 23, 2006
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Melbourne
Have you guys watched the full interview with Brad? I must admit that while I was watching it I got the feeling maybe he has been pushed out a bit.. Just the way he kept saying I want to do whats best for the team, I don't want to take a young persons spot and that Neeldy hasn't seen the best of me..
Really hope this isn't the case

He also told Neeld that he has some left in the tank, but not enough for a full year

He probably didn't want to play half the year injured or at Casey

I doubt Greeny will end up playing elsewhere next year.

He'd just need to look at Cam Bruce for a reason why not to.....

Who knows, he's still mates with Brucey. With Cam recently retiring due to injury, perhaps he consulted with him and he told him go out now before you play that year too long

Back