Teams Green Bay Packers - The Frozen Tundra

Remove this Banner Ad

Now onto the defence, a unit that was ravaged by injury while being wildly inconsistent that struggled to create turnovers or a consistent pass rush.

DEFENCE:

Corner Backs:
Sam Shields (14/14):
61 Tackles, 17 Pass D, 4 INTs

Shields proved himself to be the Pack's number 1 cover corner and while he has some deficiencies his speed allows him to make plays that other corners can't make (think Dallas interception). Still has a weakness in tackling and in coverage, but has earned himself a big contract which the Pack need to deliver.

Overall: B+ (B)

Tramon Williams (16/16):
83 Tackles, 2.5 Sacks, 11 Pass D, 3 INTs

One of the most frustrating players on this team. Early season form and I was all but glad to see him go but then he turns it around towards the end of the season and looks to be getting back to his 2010 form. His tackling has improved immensely which can only lead me to suggest he is actually over his shoulder injury both physically and mentally. Should be retained but I can see his contract being re-structured without a doubt.

Overall: B (B)

Davon House (16/5):
44 Tackles, 1 Sack, 10 Pass D, 1 INT

Again another inconsistent performer in the secondary can look like Al Harris when on form but when he is bad he becomes a witches hat. Was dragged towards the end of the year and replaced by Bush/Hyde which didn't bode well. Is a big physical guy who is quite stiff in the hips which makes him useless in coverage but when playing man he is very good. Does make some boneheaded plays at times but is worth pursuing with.

Overall: C+ (C)

Micah Hyde (16/3):
55 Tackles, 1 Sack, 2 Pass D, 1 FF

As a rookie wasn't expected to do a lot apart from on special teams and was going to be slowly fed the play book. Unfortunately that didn't happen as Hayward missed the season with a hamstring forcing Hyde to be the starting nickel corner. Made typical rookie mistakes but is a sure tackler and has a nose for the ball. With the issues at safety it could be interesting to see how he goes there as I think he could make a successful transition.

Overall: C+

Jarrett Bush (12/0):
13 Tackles, 5 Pass D, 1 INT

Was injured most of the season which can be a blessing in disguise at means he sees less meaningful snaps on defence but then our special teams becomes rather ordinary. Had the game winning interception against Atlanta which was good but overall is someone that wouldn't normally see the field unless there are injuries.

Overall: D (D)

Defensive Line:
B.J. Raji (16/16):
17 Tackles

Yep that's right for the whole 16 game season Raji managed a whole 17 tackles while consistently being pushed out of the way and then when given the opportunity to rush couldn't even beat a 1 on 1. Played like a man who didn't want to be there, which is inexcusable. As all the talent in the world but has a crappy attitude and I for one am glad he didn't accept our $8 million a season offer and hope he leaves for someone who actually wants to put in.

Overall: F (B)

Ryan Pickett (16/16):
19 Tackles, 2 Pass D

It was a year in which Pickett battled one niggling injury after another, is only a 2 down lineman at this point in his career as what little pass rush he brought it now gone. Unlike Raji is still solid at the point of attack and was a reason why the Pack had such a great run D to start the season. Don't think he will be back as the body just can't hold up any more.

Overall: C+ (C+)

Johnny Jolly (13/8):
21 Tackles, 1 Sack, 1 Pass D

In one of the NFL's feel good stories of the year Jolly has successfully returned to the pro's after his well documented off field drama. Was a shining light along with Pickett early in the season as a good run stuff who added a bit of nastiness and physicality to the defence. Constantly battled injuries as well which saw him land on the IR eventually but I think he will be back next year. Also seems to be one of the most popular people within the locker room.

Mike Daniels (16/1):
23 Tackles, 6.5 Sacks

Was a phenomenal second season for Daniels who quickly established himself as a an interior pass rusher on a consistent basis from the nickel. I thought last year he was JAG but this year he stepped up big time and was able to generate much needed pressure while beating double teams (take note Raji) was easily the Packers most improved player and a shining light on the defence. Still think he is more suited to a 4-3 but I don't care he is ours.

Overall: A+

Datone Jones (16/0):
10 Tackles, 3.5 Sacks

An injury interrupted pre-season really ruined any chance he had of making a significant impact on the D which kept him off the field for the majority of the first part of the season. Was able to show flashes of why the Packers were so keen on him. Lacks strength at the point of attack and is a bit of a liability in the run but I'm looking to next year and if he can have a Daniels kind of leap then look out opposing QBs.

Overall: C

Josh Boyd (9/0):
5 Tackles

As a rookie wasn't supposed to see a lot of time but ended up seeing a lot of the field towards the end of the season as injuries piled up along the line. Saw more playing time than Wilson which is a positive for him and I thought he looked more effective than Raji towards the end of the season. Hopefully next year we see more of him and he can improve.

Overall: No Grade

Line Backers:
Nick Perry (11/6):
28 Tackles, 4 Sacks, 1 Pass D, 3 FF

Another injury interrupted season that saw him play out the majority of the season with a broken foot. Initially was offering very little as a pass rusher but was exceptional against the run until injuries just wore him down. Had an amazing ability to strip the QB when he landed a sack and if he stays healthy I really like what he can offer this defence, although I think he may also be a better ROLB than LOLB.

Overall: B- (C)

Brad Jones (12/12):
84 Tackles, 3 Sacks, 1 FF

Was yet another LB who had an injury marred season, was paid good money in the off-season to be the starter and I didn't see the production on the field. Is good in coverage but is very weak in the running game something that a 3 down LB can't be.

Overall: C+ (C+)

A.J. Hawk (16/16):
118 Tackles, 5 Sacks, 4 Pass D, 1 INT, 1 FF

I like many other Packer fans have been upset with Hawks play recently, well not this year. Not only was he the only starting LB to play every game, for the most part he was very good. Trimmed down in the off-season and it shows as he looks quicker out there. Still average in coverage though but for his consistency and ability to stay on the field he is a constant reliable piece to have.

Overall: A (A)

Clay Matthews (11/11):
41 Tackles, 7.5 Sacks, 1 Pass D, 3 FF

Sigh. We sign him for a massive contract which makes him our marquee defensive player and he breaks his thumb and misses significant time throughout the year culminating in him re-injuring it and missing the play-offs. Is still one of the premier OLBs in the league and hopefully he can show case that next year. Durability is becoming an issue though as he only has 1 season (rookie) when he has been available and healthy every game.

Overall: B+ (A)

Mike Neal (16/10):
47 Tackles, 5 Sacks, 1 Pass D, 1 INT, 1 FF

Made transition from DE to OLB in the off-season and for the most part I think it has been a good move. Has had to lose weight which I think has helped his durability. Is still a very good pass rusher but is weak against the run and is a liability in coverage (too be expected though). I want him back next year as I think he can be very very good but it will be interesting to see if he looks to join a 4-3 team where he would be better suited.

Overall: B (C as a DL)

Jamari Lattimore (15/4):
35 Tackles, 2 Sacks, 1 Pass D, 1 FF

Since coming into the NFL he has made the transition from college DE to OLB to ILB. Not an easy journey and for the most part his play has been consistent. It's strange when asked to fill in for a couple of plays he is excellent but when starting he seems terrified of making a mistake and doesn't play with the same instincts as when he relieves someone. Is significantly better than Jones in the run game but is significantly worse in the pass game. Is good depth at this stage and if he could improve his coverage could be a 3 down guy.

Overall: C+ (F)

Andy Mulumba (14/3):
30 Tackles, 1 Sack

Was only supposed to play special teams and it showed. An ok pass rusher who is weak against the run and can't cover. Will be better for an off-season that's for sure.

Safeties:
Morgan Burnett (13/13):
96 Tackles, 5 Pass D

Another frustrating player on this D, was paid good money over the off-season and then missed the first 3 games of the season only to return and offer up wildly inconsistent play. I'm hoping it's just a case of complicated play-book, young guy, no talent next to him and trying to do too much otherwise he could soon find himself out of a job.

Overall: C+ (B)

M.D. Jennings (16/16):
74 Tackles, 1 Sack

Really isn't a starting safety in this league. Can't tackle and can't play any form of man coverage. Is great when asked to play zone but apart from that is average.

Overall: D (D+)

Sean Richardson (6/0):
13 Tackles

Came back after a successful off-season neck fusion and showed some talent when given the chance to play. Is a much better tackler than Jennings and is a lot more physical but lacks in coverage. Hopefully he can improve in that department because he could become an adequate back up in the future.

Overall: No Grade (NG)

Chris Banjo (16/1):
19 Tackles, 2 Pass D

It's hard to judge Banjo he is a solid player who is still learning a complicated defence but he doesn't do anything well. Is probably the definition of average. Still makes for a handy back-up that can be called upon if needed. Is good on special teams though.

Special Teams:
Mason Crosby (16):
37 ATT, 33 COMP, 89.2%, 42 XPA, 42 XPM, 100%

After a horror season last year in which he couldn't hit a barn door competition was brought in over the off-season for Crosby and while he looked shaky (1 from 8 at family night) he eventually won and started the season as kicker. He repaid the faith this year being incredibly accurate including nailing two 57yarders and his only missed came on kicks of more than 40 yards.

Overall: A (F)

Tim Masthay (16):
64 Punts, 2,854yds, 44.6avg, 22 inside 20

Was a bit of a down year for Masthay as he wasn't able to pin the opposition inside their 20 like was in previous seasons, but still is consistency and accuracy is something that needs to be recognised.

Overall: A (A+)

Brett Goode (16):
No Stats

Like I've said for the past 2 years no hearing about this guy is the best sort of news. No wayward snaps that I can remember.

Overall: A+ (A+)

Not Reviewed:
Casey Hayward (CB)
James Nixon (CB)
Jumal Rollle (CB)
Jerel Worthy (DE)
C.J. Wilson (DE)
Rob Francois (LB)
Victor Aiyewa (LB)
Sam Barrington (LB)
Nate Palmer (LB)
Jerron McMillian (SS) Would've been an F though.

Coaching:

Head Coach:
Mike McCarthy:

One of the most frustrating head coaches in the league. Can be up with the best and then does some of the dumbest things I've ever seen. I think he tries to be to clever and ends up making a lot of mistakes. Has had a tough season offensively losing Rodgers, Cobb and Finely during the season while James Jones and Lacy have missed games/been injured. At least this season he stuck with the running game throughout games, although still has a tendency to go away from it. Needs to start using Lacy more wisely and in a better tandem with a second RB (whomever that may be). Still when paired with Rodgers is one of the better coaches in the NFL.

Overall: B

Offensive Coordinator:
Tom Clements:

While it's MM's show Clements needs to shoulder some of the blame for being the guy up top and talking to McCarthy. I think he needs more input into what the offence is called and take over the role that Philbin had calling plays as it seemed that there were less boneheaded plays called when Philbin was around.

Defensive Coordinator:
Dom Capers:

I read an interesting article where he along with Dick LeBeau don't like playing rookies in their defences because of a complicated and big play book. Now when Capers first took over the Pack had a lot of good veterans throughout the side and very little rookies now that has all changed and it seems that Capers hasn't adapted to the personnel that he has been given. Statistically Capers defences are good for 3 years before they become very bad quickly as has been seen here in GB. The problem is the Packers are in win now mode and do they change coordinator and go through that learning curve or do they stick with what they know and hope that the players start understanding the play book?

Overall: D

Packer 2014 Off-Season: 1st Draft

Departures:
B.J Raji
Marshall Newhouse
C.J Wilson
Ryan Pickett
Seneca Wallace
M.D. Jennings
Rob Francois
John Kuhn
James Jones

Re-Signings:
Sam Shields
Johnny Jolly
Mike Neal
James Starks
Jamari Lattimore
Andrew Quarless
Evan Dietrich-Smith
Chris Banjo
Matt Flynn
Tramon Williams (re-structured)

Unknown:
Jermichael Finley

Draft:
1. Defensive Line
2. Safety
3. Tight End
4. ILB
5. OLB
6. WR
7. CB

Those positions are likely to change depending on if we make any free agent signings, Jermichael Finely and what happens with all of our DL FAs. I would like to see a play made for Jarius Bryd only problem is the price tag at which he would come and with Cobb and Nelson coming up for big contracts I'm not sure it's worth it.

Packer 2014 Off-Season: 1st Draft

Departures:
B.J Raji
Marshall Newhouse
C.J Wilson
Ryan Pickett
Seneca Wallace
M.D. Jennings
Rob Francois
John Kuhn
James Jones

Re-Signings:
Sam Shields
Johnny Jolly
Mike Neal
James Starks
Jamari Lattimore
Andrew Quarless
Evan Dietrich-Smith
Chris Banjo
Matt Flynn

Unknown:
Jermichael Finley

Draft:
1. Defensive Line
2. Safety
3. Tight End
4. ILB
5. OLB
6. WR
7. CB

Those positions are likely to change depending on if we make any free agent signings, Jermichael Finely and what happens with all of our DL FAs. I would like to see a play made for Jarius Bryd only problem is the price tag at which he would come and with Cobb and Nelson coming up for big contracts I'm not sure it's worth it.

Great write ups on the Defence and Coaches. Couldnt agree more.

Agree with almost all.
I dont want to see Jones and Kuhn gone though. Kuhn especially.

Great write ups on the Defence and Coaches. Couldnt agree more.

Agree with almost all.
I dont want to see Jones and Kuhn gone though. Kuhn especially.
Cheers appreciate it.

I don't really want them gone either. I could see Kuhn coming back and the more I think about it the more I want him back. But like Jones it's going to depend on price. Especially with Cobb and Nelson going to be paid.

Kuhn is a heart and soul player.... don't let those go.

#1 change has to be Capers.
I agree with both of those. Honestly I think we will be able to get a fair deal with Kuhn sorted and he will be back.

Capers has been here too long and while he won us a SB ever since then the defence has regressed quickly. I'm shattered that the Jets kept Ryan I was very keen on the idea of bringing him in.

I agree with both of those. Honestly I think we will be able to get a fair deal with Kuhn sorted and he will be back.

Capers has been here too long and while he won us a SB ever since then the defence has regressed quickly. I'm shattered that the Jets kept Ryan I was very keen on the idea of bringing him in.

Agree, Kuhn won't hold the team to ransom, should be back.

Obviously, defense was patchy, but they've been killing us on 3rd down all season long.

We should've had 4 turnovers today, and the fundamental of defensive football (tackling) was atrocious.

Defensively, I think there's enough talent there, but they just can't get it together.

Packer 2014 Off-Season: 2nd Draft

Departures:
B.J Raji
Marshall Newhouse
C.J Wilson
Ryan Pickett
Seneca Wallace
M.D. Jennings
Rob Francois
James Starks
James Jones
Andrew Quarless

Re-Signings:
Jermicheal Finely
Sam Shields
Johnny Jolly
Mike Neal
Jamari Lattimore
Evan Dietrich-Smith
Chris Banjo
Matt Flynn

Draft:
1. Defensive Line
2. Safety
3. ILB
4. OLB
5. WR
6. TE
7. CB

I just can't wait for FA to finish up so we have a clearer picture of our team make up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been a bit out of the loop recently (as demonstrated by my lack of posting during the season) is there anyone in particular we are targeting?
I haven't heard a lot about early draft picks mainly 3rd and above.
Main names I've seen thrown around are Nix, Hagemann, Pryor or Dix.

Hey fellas, do any of you guys actually think TT will pull the trigger in free agency like some reports? Would love to top up the d, unsure if letting shields test his worth is smart, wouldn't want to lose him but will he want to much. haven't watched college football much but Pryor sounds like a stud just doubt he'l drop to us by reports. Hope datone or perry make some serious strides cause Matthews needs help and then add a difference maker or two (byrd!!) and we can be dangerous come next season

nice catch up with don majkowski on the packers website.

one of my favourite players from when I started following NFL:

http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...formance/96cd8f54-f452-4a39-b5a9-b9b7a1e0abf6

can't help but be a little reminded of gene wilder watching this video:

181297793_1371420118.jpg

Hey fellas, do any of you guys actually think TT will pull the trigger in free agency like some reports? Would love to top up the d, unsure if letting shields test his worth is smart, wouldn't want to lose him but will he want to much. haven't watched college football much but Pryor sounds like a stud just doubt he'l drop to us by reports. Hope datone or perry make some serious strides cause Matthews needs help and then add a difference maker or two (byrd!!) and we can be dangerous come next season
Shields is about the 6th or 7th best CB to hit the FA market so he won't command a lot of dollars, pretty sure he will remain in GB.
I don't TT will break the bank for any big FAs as we have Cobb and Nelson due next year and it's not really his style.
Pryor I think will drop to our pick just, now it's a matter of if Hageman and Nix are still around who do you pick then?

Shields is about the 6th or 7th best CB to hit the FA market so he won't command a lot of dollars, pretty sure he will remain in GB.
I don't TT will break the bank for any big FAs as we have Cobb and Nelson due next year and it's not really his style.
Pryor I think will drop to our pick just, now it's a matter of if Hageman and Nix are still around who do you pick then?

I would of put shields behind verner, Talib and davis. On par with drc. Snapped him up today, 4 years apparently 39mil. Front loaded to help with upcoming nelson/Cobb deals. Verner must be laughing and staring down 12mil a yr deals now. I'd take a pryor first round, sure up the d-line and ILB in draft or middle tier FA. Resign Finley on a one year prove it and take a TE late. With better luck injuries the d could be very solid

So glad we signed Shields.

Against some of the biggest and best WRs in the game he did this to them:

Quote:
@zachkruse2: Sam Shields vs. A.J. Green, Josh Gordon, Brandon Marshall and Calvin Johnson in 2013 (5 games): Allowed 8 catches, 129 yards, 1 TD.

Quote:
zachkruse2: Can add Alshon Jeffery in there, too. Caught one pass for 10 yards vs. Shields over two games.

Packers sign Julius Peppers, 3-year deal, $30M max, $7.5M guaranteed & $8.5M in total 1st year salary.

Thoughts?

Packers sign Julius Peppers, 3-year deal, $30M max, $7.5M guaranteed & $8.5M in total 1st year salary.

Thoughts?
Pretty low guaranteed money so not a bad signing really. Doubt he sees anywhere near the $30M max though and if it does it means he is being totally dominant and we are winning games.
The thing I'm not sure is where/how we will play him. I think this just reinforces the fact that the Packers are moving towards a hybrid style defence this year.

Pretty low guaranteed money so not a bad signing really. Doubt he sees anywhere near the $30M max though and if it does it means he is being totally dominant and we are winning games.
The thing I'm not sure is where/how we will play him. I think this just reinforces the fact that the Packers are moving towards a hybrid style defence this year.

Think you might be spot on with a hybrid d. He could spend time as both a DE or OLB. He has already said it's going to be a different role. Definantly would like to bring in FA insurance or the oline with deitrich gone. Heck I'd make a play for Mack and totally upgrade. But $$ is obviously the point there. Having a running game already makes our olines game a bit easier and slows down the rush though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back