Teams Green Bay Packers - The Frozen Tundra

Dec 12, 2007
The North
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Poor defence and poor offensive line again. How long have we tried and failed to fix these?
The defence is so pathetic up the middle. Guiton should never have been playing heck I would've preferred having Johnny Jolly in there. I think the biggest problem is Brad Jones, the guy is just s**t can't tackle, can't play the run, is timid and for all his apparent strength in the passing game and covering TEs he sucked at that and gave away 2 huge penalties.
We also can't tackle to save our lives.

Our O-line was good until Bulaga went down and then Sherrod was just out-classed.

Jun 14, 2011
Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MUFC/NYY/LAL/Green Bay Packers/UW
The defence is so pathetic up the middle. Guiton should never have been playing heck I would've preferred having Johnny Jolly in there. I think the biggest problem is Brad Jones, the guy is just s**t can't tackle, can't play the run, is timid and for all his apparent strength in the passing game and covering TEs he sucked at that and gave away 2 huge penalties.
We also can't tackle to save our lives.

Our O-line was good until Bulaga went down and then Sherrod was just out-classed.

Took all of my will power not to throw my remote at the tv when those two penalties happened

Jun 14, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Thankfully Jones is out this week. Lattimore will start in his place who actually dealt with a virus all of last season. So will be interesting to see how he goes fully fit.

Small victories.

If the D doesn't improve this year, Capers has to go. He's had his chances and countless high draft picks to get this defence sorted out.

Nov 5, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
No chance of Adams beating Boykin this year, he is more talented but he is coming from way too far back to beat out Boykin who has shown he can perform and knows the play book a lot better than Adams. Remember if you run a wrong route Rodgers/Mac will tear a WR to shreds ala Cobb who caught a TD week 1 v the Saints but it was on a wrong route so he was on limited snaps for a couple of weeks.

Davonte Adams looked good today. 5 catches for 50 yards compared to 1 catch for 6 yards by Boykin.

Packers dodging a bullet with the Jets OC Marty Mornhinweg calling a panic stricken Time Out before ball snapped and that was a TD pass to just about TIE the scores with PAT to follow..

ConventionalHandyIceblueredtopzebra.gif

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
some of the worst play calls today. why McCarthy called a run on our own 1 when the o-line was getting pushed back all game. Why didnt we try quick passes that were not behind the LoS, like unders/outs and slants, also curls would of worked. Remember when every short yardage play it we would throw slants those were the days.

the RB coach needs to tell Lacy to take the first gap. countless times he bounced it to the outside and ended with a 5yd loss today after not taking the first gap. One of the worst days our O has had in a long time with Rodgers playing.

Dec 12, 2007
The North
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
That was one of the most pathetic, insipid and disgusting performances on offence I've witnessed from this team in a long time.
Just terrible play-calling from McCarthy who needs to get his head out of his arse and stop calling bullshit plays.
Rodgers also needs to stop taking sacks and looking for the big play every time, take what the defence gives you and throw the ******* ball away.
Also playing against street CBs and you can't get seperation, * me and when we did they dropped it.

Bring back James Jones.

Defence played well though, can't fault them for the last TD though we lost T.O.P by about 10 minutes.

Simply put, if McCarthy doesn't improve his play-calling I hope they either don't renew his contract or they bring in someone to call the plays.

bangbang

All Australian
Aug 21, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
green bay, liverpool, parramatta
Pretty obvious we need to come away with a win today @ Chicago! So crap now the games on 7mate and I can't record it like when it was on foxtel. Can't believe its 3am and I woke up to watch it. So far if we don't toughen up and stop then running all over us were in trouble and there only in their 2nd drive.

Dec 12, 2007
The North
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
We gave up 496 yards on defence.

Our defence has more holes than the Iraqi Navy.
The injury to Raji has really caused a lot of problems. Guion is just trash, Boyd and Pennel aren't ready to take over a starting role yet which is leaving us having to run our 2-4-5 look more than we would like.
I'm also starting to get concerned by our T.O.P
@ Seattle = 26:40 to 33:20
vs Jets = 30:26 to 29:34
@ Detroit = 21:47 to 38:13
@ Chicago = 23:38 to 36:22

I think this up-tempo offence that McCarthy is trying to install isn't doing our defence any favours at the moment, especially against the high powered offences of Detroit (even though we played well against them) and Chicago.

Jun 14, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
The injury to Raji has really caused a lot of problems. Guion is just trash, Boyd and Pennel aren't ready to take over a starting role yet which is leaving us having to run our 2-4-5 look more than we would like.
I'm also starting to get concerned by our T.O.P
@ Seattle = 26:40 to 33:20
vs Jets = 30:26 to 29:34
@ Detroit = 21:47 to 38:13
@ Chicago = 23:38 to 36:22

I think this up-tempo offence that McCarthy is trying to install isn't doing our defence any favours at the moment, especially against the high powered offences of Detroit (even though we played well against them) and Chicago.

Yeah I don't know if the up tempo offence is skewing those numbers in any way. I agree that the less time our defence is on the park, the better.

I'm just watching the game now and I feel like we're not trying to force the run this game.

I :hearts: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.

Been impressed with the O line for the most part.

rodgers.gif

Just ridiculous, I know it wasn't allowed but no other QB can do that.
This was unreal to see live. Me and another bloke were the only packers in a group of bears and this had everyone on their feet.

So just a few things about yesterday's game.

Cutler and the bears offense were playing very well for the first half, and our def did a pretty good trying to contain forte, Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett and cutler for that half. That last play before the half was HUGE.

Our Def is the reason we won and the second half was ours. It might not be the best def goin around but it sure as hell can come up big. Also A A Ron and co are superb.

I have a tonne of photos but will put them up when I get home ( will help me stay awake)

Also, CARN THE PACKERS!!

Dec 12, 2007
The North
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
I :hearts: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.

Been impressed with the O line for the most part.
Apart from a couple of minor mistakes Ha Ha has been very impressive, also kept Bennett out of the end-zone by handing on for dear life just before half time.

The O-line has been very frustrating, the run game has gone to hell not sure if that's because of play calling, poor run blocking or Linsley but it's probably a combination of all 3.
Pass protection on the other hand has been excellent.

Dec 12, 2007
The North
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
First 4 Game Review:
2-2
Losses: @ Seattle, @ Detroit
Wins: vs New York Jets, @ Chicago

Offence:
For a high powered offence we have really struggled outside of the 2nd half vs the Jets and the game yesterday against the Bears. The offence was average against Seattle and downright embarrassing against Detroit. Every position has had questions asked on them at times this season, some have answered and others haven't heard the call. This needs to be fixed ASAP, particularly the play of Lacy, run blocking and a TE needs to stand up soon. We've been spoilt by the play of Rodgers in recent years, which in turn has led to very high expectations even so Rodgers' play has been erratic to say the least. If this can be sorted our offence should start clicking at a high level again.

Defence:
If the offence is inconsistent they have nothing on the defence who can play like an elite unit then the next quarter look useless. The positive signs are that our secondary has been very good with only one receiver going over 100yds in 4 games. We held Johnson to 6/82/0 and Jeffery and Marshall to 4/39/1 and 2/19/1 respectively. The problem has been run defence as outside of the Lions game it has been very poor. The middle of this defence is a weak point and teams are attacking us there with great success.

Special Teams:
Apart from a blocked kick, a bad penalty on Daniels in Seattle and a lack of return game I don't think we've been that bad. In fact this is just an ordinary unit really. It's not going to cost us games and it's unlikely to win us a game (apart from Crosby against the Jets). In short if they keep playing the way they are and maybe break a couple of big returns while limiting returns the other way I'll be happy.

Coaching:
This has been my biggest problem all year. From not targeting Sherman, bad play-calling, bad decision making, you name it our coaches have done it. I'm not sure if it's a personnel problem or our coaches are incredibly stubborn but the 2-4-5 doesn't work against teams that can run the ball, Lacy isn't a good runner out of the shot gun and when we have a 3rd and short can we stop calling long developing routes that never work. I though these things were common sense but obviously not. Also adjustment in game have been severely lacking or non-existent in some cases (Lions game in particular)

Positives:
- Ha Ha Clinton-Dix:
finally we've found a safety to play opposite Burnett, this has improved our secondary immensely and Ha Ha has shown he can play at this level having no major mistakes and only having small errors to this stage of the season. I think he is set to overtake Hyde as the starting safety if he hasn't aready.
- Secondary: I've already mentioned it but they are playing fantastic at the present time. 856yds (9th) at 214yds/game (5th), 62% completion rate (9th), 5 TDs (10th) to 5 INTs (5th) and a QB rating of 78.9 (6th) is good in anybodies books. Not to mention we have shut down 3 top 10 receivers in Johnson, Marshall and Jeffery. The latter two only getting TDs from magnificent play calling and House falling over.
- Pass blocking: For a unit that has given up 10 sacks (6th worst) this isn't actually a bad pass blocking unit when healthy. I could count probably 5 or 6 sacks that are directly the result of Rodgers hanging onto the ball too long instead of throwing it away. Apart from the Lions game Rodgers has had a lot of time in the pocket to make throws.
- Jordy Nelson: 33 receptions (1st), 459yds (1st), 114.8yds/game (1st) 3 TDs (10th) no matter which way you spin it Nelson has been dominant this season. The only problem with that is that Rodgers has keyed in on Nelson way too often this year. But hopefully this has gotten the public to notice him and he can finally make a Pro-Bowl and All-Pro roster this year.
- Mason Crosby, Corey Linsely, Josh Sitton, AJ Hawk, Mike Daniels, Tramon Williams, Sam Shields, Aaron Rodgers

Negatives:
- Run blocking:
292yds (27th), 3.5 avg (26th), 73yds/game (28th), 2 TDs (19th). For as good as the O-line has been in pass protection they have been woeful in run blocking. For a team that was so good last year I'm just not sure what the problem is but it needs to be fixed soon.
- Run defence: 704yds (32nd), 4.6 avg (23rd), 176yds/game (32nd), 5 TDs (29th). For as good as the defence has played against the pass it has been woeful against the run, especially up the middle where massive chunks of yards are being gained consistently by running backs it seems at will. The loss of Brad Jones though will hopefully limit some of the damage but while we continue to play the 2-4-5 we will see the same problems every game.
- Clay Mattews: Is carrying yet another injury and after that monster contract we gave him over the off-season I'd be expecting more than what we've seen so far this year. Plenty of time left but the signs aren't good.
- Brad Jones, Micah Hyde/Casey Hayward, TE play, Letroy Guion, Jarrett Boykin/receivers not named Nelson, Eddie Lacy

Overall: C+
Used to seeing a lot better performances from this Packer team and so far not everything is clicking the way it should. Thankfully it's only the start of the season so there is plenty of time to rectify these problems. If they haven't been fixed in the next 4 game stretch I'll be very worried.

Back