Teams Green Bay Packers - The Frozen Tundra

Remove this Banner Ad

We need to keep Raji. We were 23rd against the run and gave up 119 yards per game on the ground.

We need to target MLB and DT. I think we have enough to work with at the TE position with Quarless and Rogers.

We don need to keep Raji, but he might be asking for too much money, and Guien has been a surprise this year. I think we need a 2nd TE, Quarless has not improved as much as we wanted. if we can get a decent one in R4 it would be nice but no need to go after one in the first half of the draft.

THIS.

Bostic was the dagger, wasn't even meant to go up for it...

Yeah he F**ked up, in our onside formation it was all about Nelson to catch and others to block. the ball was bouncing perfectly for Nelson where he lined up. I hope next season we dont have too many injuries and we NEED to draft a MLB because i dont know if Hawk should be playing next season unless he goes back about 4 years in time. If Rodgers gets injured next year and has to carry it late in the season i will lose it.

Bostic yes is to blame for that specific incident. BUT! There are alot more people that should be up for blame and especially should of been blamed by the HC after the game.

- The D which was all over Seattle all day gets walked over in the final 3 drives. Not to mention that horrible 2 pt conversion which I could of baked a cake in the time they had to bat that ball down.
- Your HC played not to lose, rather then play for the win! safe plays, safe calls on key 4th downs with the field position they had.
- Oh and why was Sherman not targeted more after the injury, let alone the game! Once again Rodgers avoided Sherman more then he should of.
- Burnett on the INT. WHAT THE HELL IS HE SLIDING FOR. It wasn't time for Rodgers to be kneeling for the win. RUN THE BALL BACK!

While everyone will always remember Bostic in this game. ALOT more people are to blame then just 1 guy. And Its horrendously unfair for your HC to not blame anybody else but this kid.

ugh, here's a kick in the teeth Packers fans..

Morgan Burnett did have a bit of room, maybe not enough to score, but he could have outrun most of those O-line fatties a bit to get some really good field position:

B70bnhdCMAAVLtA.jpg:large

To me this is like the Steve Milne "almost could have got there" moment from the drawn GF.

Bostic yes is to blame for that specific incident. BUT! There are alot more people that should be up for blame and especially should of been blamed by the HC after the game.

- The D which was all over Seattle all day gets walked over in the final 3 drives. Not to mention that horrible 2 pt conversion which I could of baked a cake in the time they had to bat that ball down.
- Your HC played not to lose, rather then play for the win! safe plays, safe calls on key 4th downs with the field position they had.
- Oh and why was Sherman not targeted more after the injury, let alone the game! Once again Rodgers avoided Sherman more then he should of.
- Burnett on the INT. WHAT THE HELL IS HE SLIDING FOR. It wasn't time for Rodgers to be kneeling for the win. RUN THE BALL BACK!

While everyone will always remember Bostic in this game. ALOT more people are to blame then just 1 guy. And Its horrendously unfair for your HC to not blame anybody else but this kid.

That's sports BLA60. You are forever gonna be crucified for being the last guy to miss that last blatant opportunity. No matter what sport.. EVERYONE knows the name and what happened in that 'defying moment' …anything that happened early in the game = irrelevant. The smart cookies who know when 'come back to haunt you' decisions are made early in the game, will NOT DWELL on such last minute moments. That's the difference between those who want to be 'simple & critical' vs those who know the BIG PICTURE is the real story. Bostic knows his name will be dragged thru the mud for the next 12 months until he wins another ring but I doubt he'll care to dwell on it. That's part & parcel of sports.

Woodson (or, y'know, anyone can play really!)

Play a bookmaker for me, fill in the odds (???) for me.

Team one, heavy favourites, with a strong D.
Team two, good team, great offense.

Q1, 15:00
One: $1.30
Two: $2.70

Q1, 8:07, 0-3
One: ???
Two: ???

Q1, 5:07, 0-6

Q1, 0:00, 0-13

Q2, 9:37, 0-16

Q3, 4:44, 7-16

Q4, 10:53, 7-19

Q4, 5:13, 7-19, Team 2 intecepts Team 1

Q4, 2:09 14-19

Q4, 2:09 14-19 After Team 1 recovers onside kick

Q4, 1:25 20-19

NFL Season 2014/15 Review:
Overview:

It was a strange season for the Packers that saw them put up huge numbers while at home but once on the road it seemed like the left the offence back in Green Bay. Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb had huge seasons which will see Cobb's value soar. Lacy started off slowly but he finished like a freight train behind an O-line that started off slowly but was dominant by the end of the season. Rodgers was a beast for the majority of the season, but in the end it was a wasted season that ended on an incredibly disappointing note.

Offence:

Quarterbacks:
Aaron Rodgers (16 games/16 starts):

520 ATT, 341 COMP, 65.6%, 4,381yds, 38 TDs, 5 INTs, 112.2 Rating

Rodgers once again proved that he is the best QB in the league. Battling through injuries in the latter half of the season that impacted his mobility Aaron was an inspirational leader to the rest of the Packers. He had a career worst day against Buffalo and he still has a propensity to hold onto the ball too long but you take that with the magic that he produces on a consistent basis.

Overall: A+ (B+ last year)

Matt Flynn (7/0):
16 ATT, 8 COMP, 50%, 66yds, 1 INT, 34.9 Rating

When Aaron Rodgers is your starting QB there probably isn't a cushier job in the NFL than being his back-up. Flynn is a safety net for the Packers, he knows the complex offence and while he isn't going to win us many games by himself he showed last year he can give this team a fighting chance. He also seems to be a great person as you never hear him complain at all, but always see him on the sideline cheering everyone else on.

Overall: No grade (C+)

Running Backs:
Eddie Lacy (16/16):

246 ATT, 1,139yds, 4.6avg, 9 TDs, 42 REC, 427yds, 4 TDs 3 Fumbles

Eddie Lacy is a beast in case you didn't already know. He had a very slow start to the season though culminating in a concussion that put concerns about his durability into the forefront of everyone's mind. He shook those off like he does defenders and produced on the field adding another string to his bow in receiving out of the backfield. With this kind of improvement Lacy could soon be pushing his way into the upper echelon on running backs next year.

Overall: B+ (A)

James Starks (16/0):
85 ATT, 333yds, 3.9avg, 2 TDs, 18 REC, 140yds, 1 Fumble

I feel that Starks is going to be the AJ Hawk of this offence, a guy that can come in and do a job at an average level but not so badly that he needs to be replaced immediately. He's a good backup and while he had a better year last year I can see the Packers looking at some better options in the coming years as his receiving and blocking leave a lot to be desired.

Overall: C (B)

DuJuan Harris (15/0):
16 ATT, 64yds, 4.0avg, 1 REC, 11yds

It was only a couple of years ago when Harris was anointed the starter. How long ago that seems, Lacy appeared on the scene and Harris blew out his knee. Now he has been relegated to the bench and returning kicks, something that he is terrible at. Unfortunately I think this is his last year in Green Bay as the Packers will definitely upgrade his position.

Overall: E (based on returning)

Wide Receivers:
Jordy Nelson (16/16):

98 REC, 1,519yds, 15.5avg, 13 TDs

It was a big year for Jordy, a record setting one at that. After signing a bumper contract in the off-season Jordy produced on the field becoming a top 5 WR for the season. The connection between him and Rodgers is insane and matched only by the connection between Cobb and Rodgers. Unfortunately he did have some very quiet matches throughout the year which held him back on the year. Earned his first Pro-Bowl nod and it was well deserved.

Overall: A+ (A)

Randall Cobb (16/16):
91 REC, 1,287yds, 14.1avg, 12 TDs, 3 Fumbles

For as big a year as Jordy had the one that Cobb has produced could actually be bigger. Cobb after breaking his leg last year came back an put up big numbers and delivered on his immense talent. This is likely to see him secure a very big contract, which I'm hoping is with the Packers as he is a weapon that needs to be on this team to give us another shot at a Superbowl.

Overall: A+ (B+)

Davante Adams (16/11):
38 REC, 446yds, 11.7avg, 3 TDs

It seems TT has lived up to his reputation of finding stud WRs in the 2nd round. Adams showcased some of that talent that saw him taken in the 2nd round out of Fresno State on the big stage, with his biggest game coming against the New England Patriots that while great will probably be remembered more for his dropped catch. I think he also had the most productive season for a rookie WR under McCarthy. Big things await for Adams so long as he keeps on the right track which there is no reason to suggest he won't.

Overall: B

Jarrett Boykin (13/3):
3 REC, 23yds, 7.7avg

Last season I predicted big things for him. That was wrong. Boykin suffered an injury early on in the season and never recovered as Adams took his spot in the line-up, Quarless and R. Rodgers became the 4th split out option and he lost the trust of Rodgers through drops. He had the perfect opportunity to play himself into a nice little contract with the Packers but that opportunity is gone with the rookies who will see more time next year.

Overall: F (A)

Jeff Janis (3/0):
2 REC, 16yds, 8avg

Janis was an incredibly raw prospect coming out of Saginaw Valley State and it showed. He had a limited route tree, but his athletic prowess can't be denied. His first year would have been an incredible learning opportunity for him and next year I think we really start to see him show how good he can be.

Overall: No Grade

Tight Ends:
Andrew Quarless (16/11):

29 REC, 323yds, 11.1avg, 3 TDs

Quarless isn't a guy you want starting. Nothing against the guy as I like him, but I see him as a very good number 2 that just doesn't have the physical capabilities to be the number 1 guy. It was a hard job coming into replace Finely a guy who looked set to break out last year before a neck injury forced him into premature retirement. If Q can cut back on his mistakes he will always have a place on this Packers team, but time is running out for him.

Overall: C (C)

Richard Rodgers (16/5):
20 REC, 225yds, 11.3avg, 2 TDs

For a rookie RichRodg played well. He still has a long way to go though if he wants to become a number 1 TE. He too often gets beaten blocking and while he lacks great top end speed he would have close to the best hands on the team as he seems to catch everything thrown his way. Next year he will be better as he gets used to his body shape, something he actually wasn't able to do in college as he changed body shape about 3 times for the better of the team (another good trait in the guy).

Overall: C

Brandon Bostick (13/0):
2 REC, 3yds, 1.5avg, 1 TD

Bostick was supposed to be the replacement for Finely, an athletic freak who could stretch the seam and make plays down the middle. The only thing he picked up from Finely was the injury curse. All in all it will go down as a late round draft pick with athletic potential who couldn't make it nothing new really. His papers were sealed well before his NFCCG blunder.

Overall: F

Full Back:
John Kuhn (16/2):

24 ATT, 85yds, 3.5avg, 1 TD, 4 REC, 23yds, 5.8avg

The fan favourite has seen his role diminished in the past couple of season with the emergence of Lacy. He's a fan favourite and will do everything and anything to see the team win. Unfortunately I'm not sure that is enough to see him stay on the roster, I think he comes back next year and I hope he does and the only person who knows this offence better than him is Rodgers. He's the ultimate team-mate and someone rookies can look up to.

Offensive Line:
David Bakhtiari (16/16):

Bakhtiari followed up his impressive rookie season with an equally impressive second campaign. He is still a weakness in the running game but his pass blocking is exceptional. For a fourth round pick he has proved to be of tremendous value to the team and is someone who will be around the team for a long time.

Overall: B+ (B-)

Josh Sitton (16/16):

After making the change from RG to LG last year Sitton again produced the goods even fighting through a toe injury most of the year. He was again the best lineman for the Packers and was a top 5 guard in the NFL. He still isn't being acknowledged in the NFL though which is a travesty as he has shown he can play on either side and excel. Was the biggest snub for the All-Pro team without a doubt.

Overall: A+ (A+)

Corey Linsley (16/16):

For a fifth round pick who started the entire season after being given the starting job a week before the regular season started he was immense. He is an absolute beast and multiple times he was unfairly flagged for holding penalties because he pancaked guys so violently. As with every rookie there were growing pains with multiple miss-communications and botched snaps. Starting the season he had a lot of help from Sitton and Lang but by the end of the season he was holding his own and winning.

Overall: B+

T.J. Lang (16/16):

Most teams would kill to have just one guard of the quality that the Packers poses. Luckily for us we have both Sitton and Lang anchoring one of the most dominant interior lines in all of the NFL. Lang had injury concerns of his own throughout the year but like Sitton they both put the team first and pushed through the pain and played at an incredible level keeping Rodgers clean in the pocket against some of the best pass-rushers in the NFL.

Overall: A+ (B)

Bryan Bulaga (15/15):

Bulaga had a very nice return season from 2 years in injury hell. His level of play was suspect at the start of the season but he regained his 2010 form that saw him become one of the best RTs in the game. While a free agent this year I don't see him going anywhere and his injury history will see him come with a cheaper contract, not to mention his injury scare at the start of the season. Still struggles against speed rushers though.

Not Rated:
Scott Tolzien (QB)
Justin Perillo (TE)
Kevin Dorsey (WR)
Jared Abbrederis (WR)
Don Barclay (T)
JC Tretter (T)
Aaron Adams (T)
Lane Taylor (G)
Garth Gerhart (C)

Last edited:
A+ surely is pretty generous for a RB who was largely ineffective for half a season...

As good as he looked at times in the backend, he only topped 69 rushing yards once in the first 11 weeks of the season, 6 out of 10 of those games 3.6 ypc or under, most of his yards in a decent Minnesota outing in the second half of a blowout win.

Who then exploded in the second half, was the only RB to post 100yds on Detroit, added a receiving game to his repertoire and improved his blocking and blitz pick ups.
And A+ suggests continued and unparalleled output within the league on a consistent basis.

ie not Lacy.

Good year, but you're having a laugh giving him an A+.

B+ year, more than acceptable results, showing enough to knock on the next step up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And A+ suggests continued and unparalleled output within the league on a consistent basis.

ie not Lacy.

Good year, but you're having a laugh giving him an A+.

B+ year, more than acceptable results, showing enough to knock on the next step up.
I can agree with that. I probably let my man crush on him get in the way.

I can agree with that. I probably let my man crush on him get in the way.
Still a beast.

I'm the first to admit I wasn't a believe last year, and I'm still not when it comes to him being an elite player in the league, but he sure makes it tough to argue against him.

Still a beast.

I'm the first to admit I wasn't a believe last year, and I'm still not when it comes to him being an elite player in the league, but he sure makes it tough to argue against him.
Lacy I'm semi happy with,
Pick 61# Eddie Lacy, Alabama, RB
A bell cow running back is what the Packers have been after since Ahmad Green, Lacy fell to the end of the second round due to injury concerns so it's going to be interesting to see if he can overcome those. I'm still not sold on this pick but due to the value I can see why we pulled the trigger as Lacy was regarded as the number 1 back this year by majority of experts.

That's just what I found in this thread about how I felt about Lacy, I remember I didn't want us to pick a RB at all that draft.
I think at the moment Lacy is in that murky area of guys who are 5-15.

That's just what I found in this thread about how I felt about Lacy, I remember I didn't want us to pick a RB at all that draft.
I think at the moment Lacy is in that murky area of guys who are 5-15.
Yeah agreed. Think he's like Murray in the sense that they're obviously talented, but you don't put him in the Lynch, AP, category, ie elite.

But given the state of the NFLs RBs, I think he's closer to 5 than 15. I would go as far as to say there's only four I would say are contextless-ly better than him going forward, and one didn't play this year.

Lynch
AP
Bell
Charles

Murray
Lacy

Foster
Forte
Anderson (Bias as all hell)

McCoy (???)
Bernard
AlfMo

Forsett
Stewart
Miller

Murray and Lacy have the advantages of playing with very very good QB's and elite wide receivers - not to mention fantastic O lines.

You put Foster, Forte, McCoy in either of those teams and they run as well as them.
I'm not sure McCoy should be put in the upper echelon any more. I know having a good line helps but he was average most of the season and he had some issues with ball security as well.
Foster isn't great out of the backfield and has had durability issues his entire career.
Forte is a gun but he's a jack of all trades master of none back.

Murray and Lacy have the advantages of playing with very very good QB's and elite wide receivers - not to mention fantastic O lines.

You put Foster, Forte, McCoy in either of those teams and they run as well as them.
Foster is where he is because of former elite production with a run friendly offensive line and system. Forte less so, but he's a battler. McCoy has a relatively decent oline in a friendly offense and is up and down like anything.

Forte is relatively high DESPITE his line. I expect Lacy's battler type production at times would similarly be conducive to average olines.

I'm not sure McCoy should be put in the upper echelon any more. I know having a good line helps but he was average most of the season and he had some issues with ball security as well.
Foster isn't great out of the backfield and has had durability issues his entire career.
Forte is a gun but he's a jack of all trades master of none back.

Hasn't Murray had durability issues his entire career?

I wouldn't be writing off McCoy yet. Hard to establish yourself as a running back when College Coach Chip has you running the same 5 predictable plays all season.

Think both Murray and Lacy are products of the system. A smart front office manager would let go Murray this year and Lacy when his rookie contract is up. Better investing in your run scheme and grabbing a rookie workhorse running back in the 5th round that you can just run into the ground before you need to shell out $$.

Hasn't Murray had durability issues his entire career?
Early in his career he did especially his 1st and 2nd year. But last year he only missed 2 games and this year he didn't miss one.
Foster has only made it through 2 seasons out of six so far and only 1 season where he was the full-time starter.

I wouldn't be writing off McCoy yet. Hard to establish yourself as a running back when College Coach Chip has you running the same 5 predictable plays all season.
I'm not writing him off completely yet, but he's never going to be a great pass blocking RB and really relies on his shiftiness to get around people. I love watching him play but when it goes wrong it really goes wrong.

Think both Murray and Lacy are products of the system. A smart front office manager would let go Murray this year and Lacy when his rookie contract is up. Better investing in your run scheme and grabbing a rookie workhorse running back in the 5th round that you can just run into the ground before you need to shell out $$.
Murray always had the talent he just needed to stay healthy and look after the football. It all depends on how much he is looking for if Dallas wants to bring him back as they also have to pay Dez.
I doubt the Packers will let go of Lacy either, RBs in this NFL don't have a lot currency. Plus I don't want to go back to the Packer side of a couple years ago that didn't have a 100yd rusher in a game for like 40 straight games.

Defence:

Corner Backs:
Sam Shields (14/14):

40 Tackles, 9 Pass D, 2 INTs

Over the off-season we gave Shields a big contract and quite frankly he didn't deliver on that. He was absolutely abused by Julio Jones and seemed injured most of the season. A worrying trend with Shields is he seems to lose concentration within the game and expect his physical skills to overcome these problems, against number 2 and 3 WRs that worked but now he is on the best and he can't do that.

Overall: C+ (B+)

Tramon Williams (16/16):
70 Tackles, 13 Pass D, 3 INTs

Since the 2010 season Tramon has only missed one game, that was while playing the 2012 and 2013 seasons with a bung shoulder. While he hasn't reached his level of play from that glorious 2010 season, the past two seasons have seen Williams return to being a good player. I think he is starting to lose a yard of pace which unfortunately will see him not being retained in Green Bay, but he did have a very good season for us.

Overall: B+ (B)

Davon House (13/4):
27 Tackles, 10 Pass D, 1 INT, 1 FF

House seems to be the heir apparent to Williams, there is one problem with that and it's his inability to stay healthy. He's a big physical corner something that the Packers are lacking, but his durability is of massive concern if the Packers want to give him a contract in order to replace Williams. Ultimately I think they do as he is the only other CB on the roster who can play on the outside. House does seem to have the same mental meltdowns that Shields has which is another worrying trend.

Overall: C (C+)

Casey Hayward (16/1):
42 Tackles, 7 Pass D, 3 INTs

Hayward seems to be a bit of an enigma to me. When he is on the field he is one of the top nickel backs in the league, for some reason though he rarely sees the field as the Packers prefer to put Hyde or Williams over the slot now. In my mind this is a bad decision as Hayward has shown he has tremendous ball-hawking ability and is sound in coverage. Hopefully his playing time dramatically increases next year.

Overall: B

Jarrett Bush (15/0):
16 Tackles, 1 Pass D

Bush is no more than a special teams ace, an expensive one at that who only sees playing time in the most dire of circumstances. I love what he brings to the team on special teams but at the moment we are paying too much for a player just do that. His time in Green Bay has come to an end as he will either be replaced by a rookie or Goodson, Banjo or Richardson in his special teams role.

Overall: D (D)

Defensive Line:
Datone Jones (13/3):

22 Tackles, 1.5 Sacks, 2 Pass D, 1 INT

Unfortunately Jones didn't make the same second year leap that Mike Daniels made last year. Jones is an incredibly poor against the run and is above average at the moment in rushing the passer. He is an athletic freak though who is a little undersized at the moment and has had injury concerns. I'm not too worried at the moment but if he doesn't start performing next year I think alarm bells will be ringing.

Letroy Guion (16/16):
32 Tackles, 3.5 Sacks, 1 Pass D, 1 FF

For the first 4 games of the season nobody was a bigger passenger than Guion. His level of play made Brad Jones seem an All-Pro, he was woeful. It wasn't until game 5 against the Vikings that he actually started to play well, which can be attributed to no preseason through injury. As the season went on he was a valuable member on the line that could get a little bit of pressure and was solid in run support.

Overall: B-

Mike Daniels (16/16):
41 Tackles, 5.5 Sacks

I don't think anybody plays with more passion on defence than Mike Daniels and it shows. Daniels is an absolute terror on the inside able to consistently destroy double teams and make plays in the backfield. His level of play has increased every year he has been on the team and he is one of the most vocal leaders within the side. I remember when we drafted him I didn't think he'd amount to much and I'm so glad I've been proven wrong.

Overall: A+ (A+)

Josh Boyd (15/4):
19 Tackles, 1 Pass D

Again there wasn't a big improvement from his first to second year even though he had a lot more playing time. Boyd is a terrible pass rusher but in a team that lacks in stopping the run he is a sight for sore eyes. To me Boyd is someone that you want to come in as a rotational or depth player not someone who you want playing the majority of snaps. In that capacity I'm fine with him, but he needs to be upgraded.

Overall: D

Mike Pennel (13/0):
7 Tackles

For a rookie Pennel did what was asked of him. He showed in the preseason that he is a class above 3rd and 4th string players but like most rookies when it came time to do it against the big boys he was found out. Nothing to be ashamed of and he has a good base with which to work off this off-season to come back and improve. If he does improve with his size it can only mean good things for the Pack.

Overall: No Grade

Line Backers:
Clay Matthews (16/16):

61 Tackles, 11 Sacks, 9 Pass D, 1 INT, 2 FF

For the first time in his career Matthews started every single game of the season. This is great news considering all the injuries he has sustained. Matthews showed just how good a player he is by moving inside after the bye and still performing at his high level. One bad thing that has crept into Matthews game is his edge contain playing ROLB as he is too often crashing down and allowing RBs to get around him for big gains. Not sure where it has come from as he wasn't doing it the last couple of seasons.

Overall: A

Julius Peppers (16/16):
44 Tackles, 7 Sacks, 11 Pass D, 2 INTs, 2 TDs, 4 FF

Peppers is a freak of nature, at 35 years of age he made the successful transition from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB. He provided a veteran leadership not seen on this team since Charles Woodson. While I loved the signing then and still do, I really hope he restructures his deal otherwise he is going to have to be cut as we've seen with older players the end of the line can come all too quickly.

Overall: A

Nick Perry (15/4):
23 Tackles, 3 Sacks, 1 Pass D, 1 FF

Perry is very quickly turning into a disappointment. He is a fantastic run stopper and setting the edge, but he was drafted to provide a pass rush and he hasn't delivered in that category. It's been a very slow transition from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB and he is really going to have to show something next year in order to warrant a big contract extension.

Overall: C (B-)

Mike Neal (16/3):
33 Tackles, 4.5 Sacks

I don't know what to do about Neal. He is nearly the definition of a JAG, he's reached an AJ Hawk level of play where he isn't going to cost you big plays but he isn't going to wow you with anything he does. At the moment he is just a good depth player and it's something the Packers need especially with the rotating door at the ILB position forcing Matthews inside.

Overall: D (B)

Sam Barrington (14/7):
53 Tackles, 1 Sack, 1 Pass D

Barrington is the replacement for Desmond Bishop. He is a two down thumper that plays with a mean streak. He is exactly what the Packers lack in the middle and if he can be paired with an actual ILB (not Matthews as he needs to be moved everywhere) then he will thrive in the same way Bishop did. The fact he was a 7th round pick only one season ago and is now the starter is a massive indictment on the play of Hawk and Jones.

Overall: C+

A.J. Hawk (16/13):
89 Tackles, 0.5 Sack, 2 Pass D

Hawk's only saving grace to being brought back is that we have atrocious ILB depth. He is going to get cut without a doubt as we need that money to re-sign other key pieces but as a veteran presence he might be brought back for camp. After playing well for the last two seasons Hawk's play dropped off a cliff as he looked slow and quite frankly bad in all aspects of the game.

Overall: E (A)

Brad Jones (13/1):
18 Tackles, 1 Pass D

Brad Jones makes Eric Walden look like a competent line backer. Just when you think he has made a great play a penalty flag arises as he has infringed on the play some way or another. Witches hats would be better in stopping the run and his best play in coverage came against the Miami Dolphins when he wasn't even looking at the ball and it hit is helmet. I don't think there are enough adjectives in the English dictionary to sum up how bad Jones was.

Overall: F (C+)

Jamari Lattimore (11/5):
39 Tackles, 1 Pass D, 1 INT

Lattimore will probably be back through sheer luck rather than any outstanding play. The Packers can't afford to be going into next season with Barrington the only ILB having played meaningful snaps in a game. Lattimore has durability concerns and has shown he isn't a starter in this league but when given a couple of snaps he has shown to be quite effective.

Overall: D (C+)

Safeties:
Morgan Burnett (15/15):

130 Tackles, 1.5 Sacks, 4 Pass D, 1 INT, 1 FF

Unsurprisingly with the addition of a competent safety in Clinton-Dix, Burnett was able to play a starring role within this defence. It was no surprise that when Burnett missed the Saints game that the defence was atrocious. It seems finally the Packers once again have a strong safety core to lean upon. I really hope Burnett continues on this upward trajectory as he has a big contract to fulfil and is the leader of this secondary.

Overall: A (C+)

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (16/10):
93 Tackles, 1 Sack, 6 Pass D, 1 INT

Clinton-Dix had a very sound rookie season. It was exactly what you would expect out of a rookie safety. He made some great plays and then made some very big rookie mistakes. I love what Ha Ha brings to the table though and he is definitely the play maker we have lacked in the secondary. Not only that but it has allowed Burnett to blossom into a very good safety in his own right. With another preseason under his belt I expect Clinton-Dix's star to burn even brighter next year.

Micah Hyde (16/12):
59 Tackles, 1 Sack, 7 Pass D, 2 INTs

Micah Hyde is the Packers go to man when someone is injured in the secondary. Able to play every role to an average level at least gives the Packers great versatility in what they want to do. It was only his second season as well making the transition from CB to safety and there were some big mistakes but Hyde has shown he is definitely a player worth persisting with. Is also very adept at returning punts.

Overall: B (C+)

Sean Richardson (16/0):
25 Tackles

I love Richardson, he is a massive safety who is able to play as a linebacker in certain downs. He is also very good in his special teams role. He is a player that needs to come back to Green Bay because based on his physical characteristics alone he has shown the tools be a good depth player and you can't have enough of those on your team.

Overall: D

Not Reviewed:
Demetri Goodson (CB)
Luther Robinson (DE)
Khyri Thornton (DT)
Bruce Gaston (NT)
Carl Bradford (LB)
Andy Mulumba (LB)
Nate Palmer (LB)
Jay Elliot (LB)
Chris Banjo (S)

Special Teams:
Mason Crosby (16):

33 ATT, 27 COMP, 81.2%, 55 XPA, 53 XPM, 96.4%, 5 Blocks

Crosby would've converted more field goals if it wasn't for the putrid blocking up front. He made more than 50% of his 50yd attempts which is about league average and had one blocked in the 30-39yd range and one in the 40-49yd range. His two misses on extra points were also blocked which should never happen and which is one of the reasons Slocum was fired. Realistically Crosby only missed 3 of his attempts and due to the blocked kicks which are no fault of his make his stats look worse.

Overall: A (A)

Tim Masthay (16):
49 Punts, 2,159yds, 44.1avg, 14 inside 20

It really was a down year for Masthay. Even though he was involved in 2 games in which no punts took place and only punted once in three other games he just wasn't himself. His kicks seemed to lack penetration and he just wasn't as accurate as before. Masthay has never been a booming kick but he has always been consistent and this season that left him.

Overall: C+ (A)

Brett Goode (16):
No Stats

Only one wayward snap that I can remember and that came on an extra point attempt that I'm pretty sure Masthay didn't take cleanly. Even so there were too many gaffs on kicks and that can't happen.

Overall: A (A+)

Coaching:

Head Coach:
Mike McCarthy:

No longer do I think McCarthy is one of the best HCs in the NFL. He is very good don't get me wrong but no longer does he belong in the upper echelon. He has too many down periods of bad play-calling or just bad game plans to be considering amongst the best. He lacks a true killer instinct that costs the team at times. His offensive mind is great and I actually think he might be better suited to that role.

Overall: C+ (B)

Offensive Coordinator:
Tom Clements:

I honestly don't know why we have and OC any more. It's quite clearly the McCarthy and Rodgers show in Green Bay. It must be a cushy job being Clements, some blame has to go to him though in the game planning stage.

Defensive Coordinator:
Dom Capers:

The Packers looked like the same old incompetent team under Capers to start the season. The bye week happened, Clay moved inside, Barrington saw more reps and the defence turned into a top 15 unit. It goes to show that with competent players Capers' defence is able to get pressure and force take aways at an alarming rate. It was the best defence we've had since the Super Bowl winning team, still not that good but I'll take it over the crap dished up the last couple of seasons.

Overall: B (D)

Coaching:

Head Coach:
Mike McCarthy:

No longer do I think McCarthy is one of the best HCs in the NFL. He is very good don't get me wrong but no longer does he belong in the upper echelon. He has too many down periods of bad play-calling or just bad game plans to be considering amongst the best. He lacks a true killer instinct that costs the team at times. His offensive mind is great and I actually think he might be better suited to that role.

Overall: C+ (B)

Offensive Coordinator:
Tom Clements:

I honestly don't know why we have and OC any more. It's quite clearly the McCarthy and Rodgers show in Green Bay. It must be a cushy job being Clements, some blame has to go to him though in the game planning stage.

Defensive Coordinator:
Dom Capers:

The Packers looked like the same old incompetent team under Capers to start the season. The bye week happened, Clay moved inside, Barrington saw more reps and the defence turned into a top 15 unit. It goes to show that with competent players Capers' defence is able to get pressure and force take aways at an alarming rate. It was the best defence we've had since the Super Bowl winning team, still not that good but I'll take it over the crap dished up the last couple of seasons.

Overall: B (D)

Your assessment of McCarthy is spot on. He is a bee's whisker away from being a liability in close games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back