GreenEdge - New Aussie cycling team

Remove this Banner Ad

Simon gerrans has signed.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald the following riders already have signed for GreenEdge

Michael Albasini (HTC-Highroad)
Simon Clarke (Astana)
Baden Cooke (Saxo Bank, SunGard)
Allan Davis (Astana )
Julian Dean (Garmin-Cervelo)
Luke Durbidge (Jayco-AIS)
Mitch Docker (Skil-Shimano)
Simon Gerrans (Sky)
Matt Goss (HTC-Highroad)
Michael Hepburn (Jayco-AIS)
Leigh Howard (HTC-Highroad)
Brett Lancaster (Garmin-Cervelo)
Sebastian Langeveld (Rabobank)
Matt Lloyd (ex Omega Pharma-Lotto)
Jens Mouris (Vacansoleil)
Luke Roberts (Saxo Bank, SunGard)
Wesley Sulzberger (FDJ)
Daniel Teklehaymanot (Eritrea)
Matt Wilson (Garmin-Cervelo)
Tomas Vaitkus (Astana)
Pieter Weening (Rabobank)
Jack Bobridge
Cameron Meyer
Travis Meyer (Garmin-Cervelo)
Stuart O’Grady (Leopard-Trek)

We know Sulzberger, Vaitkus and Goss have definitely signed (from the ones that haven't been released yet) + the ones that have been announced. 25 signatures, 3 more riders for the perfect list so no doubt they will be courting Tony Martin. But Albasini is a good GC rider anyway.

It looks like Garmin have lost all their Aussie riders. Looks like Lachlan Morton could get upgraded from the Garmin development team.

SMH are right. That is the squad with probably a few more added.

I honestly don't know why GreenEdge are taking their time with the Vaitkus announcement. It was announced by him and others weeks ago. It's not like it's secret anymore. This whole process is crap. They must be waiting and will announce him with a couple more international riders.

These riders signed weeks ago yet they are making it sound like they are new signings, like it happened overnight.

isnt Richie Porte still yet to resign with saxobank? Surely he'd be the perfect long term GC rider to go after?

Not sure of Mick Rogers contract status, but another obvious target....

The above list is the riders GreenEdge has signed according to the SMH.

Porte going to GreenEdge now would be a backward move for him. If he ever goes to GreenEdge it will be once they are established.

The above list is the riders GreenEdge has signed according to the SMH.

Porte going to GreenEdge now would be a backward move for him. If he ever goes to GreenEdge it will be once they are established.
GE were after Martin? I would have thought Porte would be similar fit for the team? (and visa-versa)

Since last post here they've announced Svein Tuft, Simon Clarke and Jens Mouris. Anyone care to aware me about these blokes?

Tuft is a very good Timetrialist and very handy domestique, Clarke not sure about, never heard of Mouris..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's going to be interesting to see how Greenedge play it next year. They have a lot of time trialists. I thought they might have have been angling for a crack at a team time trial but there are none in the TDF next year.

Its also going to be interesting to see which riders they use for which events. I figure they want to develop the likes of Borbidge and Meyer into GC riders but they are going to be big Olympic pieces next year. So maybe ride a young team in the Giro and leave the track guys out of the TDF?

Anyway good to see an Australian side in there with a focus on developing our elite young riders.

Considering proximity of TdF to the London Olympics you'd think the TdF team would steer away from the blokes looking to compete in track. Instead have a Goss, O'Grady, Cooke, Lancaster, McEwen, Gerrans, Davis, Dean type team and see what damage it can do in the sprints?

It's going to be interesting to see how Greenedge play it next year. They have a lot of time trialists. I thought they might have have been angling for a crack at a team time trial but there are none in the TDF next year.

Its also going to be interesting to see which riders they use for which events. I figure they want to develop the likes of Borbidge and Meyer into GC riders but they are going to be big Olympic pieces next year. So maybe ride a young team in the Giro and leave the track guys out of the TDF?

Anyway good to see an Australian side in there with a focus on developing our elite young riders.
There is a TTT (trade teams) at the next worlds?

There is a TTT (trade teams) at the next worlds?
ahh forgot about that. After the Olympics and plenty of time to prepare. Looking at the team you would think they could go in as one of hte favoured team and for a new team winning the first world championship title would be a good scalp. Also the whole wearing the rainbow jersey at the TDF the following year would be great publicity.

Having a look at the team again its probably not as stacked with time trialists as I remembered. Maybe a bit young next year perhaps.

I bet Robbie McEwen is a bit upset that this didn't happen a couple of years ago. There is a fair bit of lead out talent on that squad and probably better than anything he had when he was at his best. Goss should be every chance to win a lot of races next year with some older blokes getting him into the right spots. Hopefully Howard takes away a lot from guys who have been there and done that next year. He is probably our next legit green jersey chance although not for a few years yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back