Greens' Election Platform

Remove this Banner Ad

Tell me man, how are the Greens dangerous?

All political parties want the same thing better health, education and even a better environment.

Two political parties believe in a process to get there; even if they are both guilty of politics and short termism.

The other is an emotive, hate driven, arm waving, short cutting and unrealistic organisation. If the greens were in power our wealth would drop and with it our value of the environment.

If they are not dangerous, why is the identity of 14 man caucus such a secret? what have they got to hide?

The greens answer to reducing carbon emissions is to slap a giant tax on emissions. What does that achieve in terms of transitioning to a lower carbon future?

The policy squeezes and economy lowering our ability to compete globally in commerce resulting in:
1) a lower standard of living
2) more global emissions as commerce moves to places with lower emission standards
3) a loss to global wealth due to inefficiencies relating to jobs and infrastructure being moved off shore

How are we going to ever have the electric car if we can't afford them and what benefit is the electric car if the power stations that generate the power are not green?

the greens answer here is solar and wind. Is wind and solar really going to be able to generate the quantum of power reliably and economically? lol

So the greens short term emotive thinking would lead contribute to the problem they are trying to solve.

They are dangerous even in simple policy issues that they claim to be experts

I grew up in a mining family and almost without exception the people I met seemed to think that they were the most important people in the most important industry in the country. Good to see nothing has changed.

I would say I am was in finance rather than mining. I would now describe myself as semi-retired.

Try and get the insults accurate.

The immigration policy on boats is another. The greens claim to be the only party that cares.

The greens hold the balance of power and convince labor to sell its soul to gain power. As a result, hundreds if not thousands of refugees are raped, murder or killed on the way the Australia.

We had a similar careless immigration policy in the late 80s and early 90s which saw the rise of One Nation as unskilled labour was forced to compete for a limited amount of jobs.

Policy isn't about big hugs and feel good moments. It is about delivering a policy which generates an outcome which is sustainable, fair, humane and considers all stakeholders.

I am struggling to think of anything the greens have got right. Can you help? Surely there is one.

The greens are dangerous. I wish the democrats didn't implode.
Agree on the democrats, Meg Lees destroyed the party that was a realistic 3rd option. Also the democrats took as many votes from the Libs as they did Labor, Greens take 90% of their votes from Labor, so not really a proper third option.

The greens hold the balance of power and convince labor to sell its soul to gain power. As a result, hundreds if not thousands of refugees are raped, murder or killed on the way the Australia.
Source please or are we just clutching at straws again?

Agree on the democrats, Meg Lees destroyed the party that was a realistic 3rd option. Also the democrats took as many votes from the Libs as they did Labor, Greens take 90% of their votes from Labor, so not really a proper third option.

On that - the Australian Democrats seemd to NEVER recover after the Party, under Meg Lees' stewardship, sided with the Coalition to make the GST a reality. Thing is, predicting the reactions of the A.D rank-and-file and that of their voters, was this the desirable outcome? Was the subsequent infighting and destruction of Australia's 'third option' completely intended by the Howard Government as the 'bonus' after the GST was signed into being?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Source please or are we just clutching at straws again?

Slax, I would normally just post the answer without comment of a question or request but the "clutching at straws again" comment is beyond belief.

Surely, you would simply google yourself before making such a comment. It is beyond belief that we can be years and years into a debate about the dangers of coming to Australia by boat and you come out with a comment like that.

Unbelievable! I am astounded by the your comment and it is offensive to the boat people.

http://www.abolishforeignness.org/b...er-and-migrant-death-and-detention-statistics.

Deaths or Missing At Sea Since 2000: 1731

2012: 242

33 – 25 November – 33 asylum seekers reported drowned after their boat sank. Habib Ullah, a survivor was picked up after 3 days in the water and shortly after the sinking was in immigration detention in Jakarta.
105 – 30 Aug – 105 asylum seekers lost at sea, 45 rescued off Indonesia
4 – 25 Jun – 4 asylum seekers drown when boat capsizes
90 – 20 Jun – 90 asylum seekers drown when boat carrying 200 sinks – search and rescue save 110.
1 – 1 March – asylum seeker reported tortured to death in Indonesian detention centre after being recaptured
1 – 27 February – Ali, 44 year old Iranian asylum seeker dies in hospital in Liverpool while in detention in Villawood Detention Centre in Sydney. Ali had a wife and two children in Iran. See also
8 – 2 February – asylum seekers were drowned and another six missing on a boat travelling to Australia near Malaysia
2011: 330

203 – 17 December asylum seekers mainly from Afghanistan and Iran drowned when overcrowded boat off East Java on way to Australia sank
97 – 14 November – asylum seekers from Iran and Afghanistan lost at sea
1 – 26 October Jayasaker Jayrathana a Tamil asylum seeker committed suicide in Villawood detention Centre. He had been recognised as a refugee. Detained since March 2010 but not given security clearance. Aged 27.
27 – 2 November asylum seekers believed to have drowned 2 November in sinking off Java
1 – Mohammed Asif Atay : Hazara Afghan asylum seeker found dead in cell in Curtin Detention Centre. 19 year old. Committed suicide after suffering depression and being in detention for 10 months. 29 March 2011
1 Meqdad Hussein Hazara Afghan asylum seeker found dead in his cell . 20 year old. Committed suicide using bed sheet. Scherger Detention Centre Weipa Queensland. 17 March 2011.
2010: 71

50 asylum seekers believed drowned in sinking of boat just off shore of Christmas Island. 15 December 2010
5 missing presumed dead April 5 Sri Lanka asylum seekers missing after attempting to swim for help from boat
12 drowned June Sri Lankan asylum seekers lost when attempting to transfer boats
1 30 year old male asylum seeker died after suffering heart attack in remote detention centre
1 Josefa Rauluni Fiji asylum seeker jumped to his death at Villawood Detention Centre in Sydney when confronted with officials undertaking his deportation to Fiji. Rauluni is reported to have been a democracy activist before his death. 20 September 2010.
1 Ahmad Al-Akabi asylum seeker committed suicide in Villawood Detention Centre in Sydney. A father of three from Iraq. It is reported that he requested to be allowed to return to Iraq shortly before his death. 16 November 2010.
1. David Saunders detainee in Villawood Detention Centre. Held in high security. Believed to have committed suicide. 8 December 2010.50 Estimated lives lost when asylum seeker boat (SIEV221) carrying men women and children founders off shore of Christmas Island. Local residents make desperate efforts to save people cast into the sea when their boat was smashed on cliff shore. Asylum seekers from Iraq, Afghanistan and Iran. References 1 2 3
2009: 171

105 Reports emerged in 2011 that a boat carrying 105 Hazara asylum seekers went missing on 2 October 2009. The Australian Customs and Border Protection Service has made documents available concerning the disappearance at http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/2011-031694_Documents_Released.pdf
1 Andrew Derek Moore who had lived in Australia from the age of 11 died of unexplained reasons days after being deported to London at age 43. He was deported after failing the character test.
5 drowned April boat explosion – failed rescue by Australian naval boat
12 drowned Tamil asylum seekers nw of Cocos Island
1 death on board, December Sri Lankan asylum seeker in Merak Port 250 asylum seekers refusing to leave ship after being detained on way to Australia. Alleged failure by IOM to provide medical treatment.
22 (5 deaths and 17 missing at sea) Aghan asylum seekers in wooden boat off Sumatra. Most likely ultimate destination was Australia. 28 May 2009
11 asylum seekers detained in Nauru and returned to Afghanistan believed to have been killed by Taliban including Tour Gul and Mohammad Halim. Reported April 2009.
14 January 15 Boat carrying 18 asylum seekers sinks off Rote Island soutwest of Timor. 4 survive. Asylum seekers had broken out of Indonesian detention centre. Source The Australian 16 December 2010 p 5

Looking through the list;

http://www.greens.org.au/initiatives-and-policies

I can't find what I'm supposed to outright hate:confused:

Just looks like a big wish list of where they want to spend a shitload more money. In order:

- Grants to farmers for more expensive energy
- More money to education
- More money to save endangered wildlife
- More welfare
- More R&D funding
- More money to universities
- Grants to everyone for more expensive energy
- More money for films
- Ban gambling ads (wow, something that won't cost money)
- More money for a new biosecurity bureaucracy
- More money for the arts
- Future fund not invest in coal companies (I shudder to think what they'd demand the future fund invest in)

All funded by taxing the s**t out of companies and 'the rich'. Yet their policy remains 'a cutting edge economy'. Let's be honest, they'll never govern and they know it. That's why they can get away with a policy platform that's just idealogical nonsense that will appeal to their core voters, not offend many but never have to be in a position to fund it, nor worry about the consequences.

I do admit I wondered about the costing when I read through that. I like the Greens, and think that a good deal of what they believe in could be achievable with a little effort. But in fairness, if you want to be a bona-fide political party you've got to earth your policies a bit more into what is affordable within reason.

Transparency of costing for ALL political parties might be the way to go.

The Australian Democrats were doomed from the minute Janine Haynes resigned her Senate seat.

Kernot and all the leaders who came after her were disaffected social democrats, not old-school liberals like the founders. At that point it was only a matter of time until they got wedged out of existence by the major parties.

On that - the Australian Democrats seemd to NEVER recover after the Party, under Meg Lees' stewardship, sided with the Coalition to make the GST a reality. Thing is, predicting the reactions of the A.D rank-and-file and that of their voters, was this the desirable outcome? Was the subsequent infighting and destruction of Australia's 'third option' completely intended by the Howard Government as the 'bonus' after the GST was signed into being?
I know that the rank and file members at the time did not want the GST (my father was a senior member in the Victorian branch), this coupled with other decisions by Meg Lees did not go down well. The final straw for many was when she put her preferred candidates above what the members had chosen on the Senate ballot, this was seen as taking away any influence the members had and considering she was in bed with the government there was no longer a reason to vote Democrat.

All women to have access to legal, free and safe pregnancy termination services including unbiased counselling.

Uh no, tax payers should not have to pay for this kind of crap.

Women to have equal access to appropriate well-resourced education services, from early childhood education through to higher education, which recognise the specific barriers women face in accessing education.

What barriers to accessing education? Women already out number men in higher education significantly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back