Other Gridiron DVDs, Books, Documentaries

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone know a good place to buy a 2015 preview magazine (Athlon/Lindys/PFW?...) ? I haven't been able to find one for a couple of years and would like to get one for this season.
The really BIG newsagents in your central CBD would be the best bet, BUT....you have to ask them to get the next issue for the next time they make their order from their supplier. Leaving them your name, number, and then they'll order it for you. As most tend to not carry American Football magazines due to a lack of interest.

The really BIG newsagents in your central CBD would be the best bet, BUT....you have to ask them to get the next issue for the next time they make their order from their supplier. Leaving them your name, number, and then they'll order it for you. As most tend to not carry American Football magazines due to a lack of interest.
I'm not in the CBD often enough unfortunately. Otherwise I'd take a punt with Melbourne Sports Books, or online, but I'm wondering if there are other options.

I remember as a young-un I used to buy Football Digest (RIP), it took soooooooooooo long to come in, at best it was 2 months behind.

Back in the early 90s I used to jump on the train from Box Hill in Melb (where I went to high school) and travel into the city each Wednesday (during my double free period in the middle of the day) to to visit McGills bookshop. I used to collect my Football Digest, Lindys annuals, Football Pro annuals and the Monday edition of USA Today direct to get the latest NFL scores and write ups. It was one of the quickest ways to get the scores!

We were lucky to get a small rundown of scores in the back of the Sun each Tuesday, and if they didn't print the scores we'd have to stay up and try and catch the sports reports on the USA Today Show in the middle of the night. And even then the only footage was watching the highlights on the Don Lane show on the Tuesday in the following week!

We have it good these days ;)

Back in the early 90s I used to jump on the train from Box Hill in Melb (where I went to high school) and travel into the city each Wednesday (during my double free period in the middle of the day) to to visit McGills bookshop. I used to collect my Football Digest, Lindys annuals, Football Pro annuals and the Monday edition of USA Today direct to get the latest NFL scores and write ups. It was one of the quickest ways to get the scores!

We were lucky to get a small rundown of scores in the back of the Sun each Tuesday, and if they didn't print the scores we'd have to stay up and try and catch the sports reports on the USA Today Show in the middle of the night. And even then the only footage was watching the highlights on the Don Lane show on the Tuesday in the following week!

i used to find it so hard to avoid looking at those scores and instead watch the games on Don Lane "fresh"...

i wish i still had all my old football digests and "season guides"

i ended up chopping them all up for the pictures for something, made some sort of poster or something), and these sorts of things have a habit of disappearing when you move house too.

I still get so amazed that we get LIVE games, as many games of NFL live as AFL almost.

i used to find it so hard to avoid looking at those scores and instead watch the games on Don Lane "fresh"...

i wish i still had all my old football digests and "season guides"

i ended up chopping them all up for the pictures for something, made some sort of poster or something), and these sorts of things have a habit of disappearing when you move house too.

I still get so amazed that we get LIVE games, as many games of NFL live as AFL almost.

I'll have to dig through my garage as I reckon I've still got some... Found a box two weekends ago full of footy records from the late 80s through to the early 90s (the older small ones) along with some other footy treasures. I know there's an NFL box somewhere! I've got Gary Kubiaks autograph in there from when I met him in the foyer of the Sheraton in Sydney as we were heading out to the Down Under Bowl between the Broncos and the Chargers.

I'll be on a mission this weekend ;)

I'll have to dig through my garage as I reckon I've still got some... Found a box two weekends ago full of footy records from the late 80s through to the early 90s (the older small ones) along with some other footy treasures. I know there's an NFL box somewhere! I've got Gary Kubiaks autograph in there from when I met him in the foyer of the Sheraton in Sydney as we were heading out to the Down Under Bowl between the Broncos and the Chargers.

I'll be on a mission this weekend ;)
I've got a similar stash, both NFL magazines and footy records that I'm constantly defending from being turfed out :D

I'm not in the CBD often enough unfortunately. Otherwise I'd take a punt with Melbourne Sports Books, or online, but I'm wondering if there are other options.

Melbourne sports books are no longer operating in the city... What side of melbourne are you on??

Showin ya age ;), i don't think mcgills is around anymore is it??

Showin ya age ;), i don't think mcgills is around anymore is it??

Nah, shut their doors years ago unfortunately. Used to be my first stop in town, then walked up Bourke St to browse through Minotaur, before heading to Virgin Megastore :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, shut their doors years ago unfortunately. Used to be my first stop in town, then walked up Bourke St to browse through Minotaur, before heading to Virgin Megastore :D

Geez, thats even further back! Minotaur when it was on Bourke!

Did a similar walk many times, mine included Sports Bazaar (as yours should've cos it was the only place to get nfl gear at the time!)

It's somewhere in Brunswick now isn't it? I'm up North.

Yeah, he's running it out of a flat. Haven't been there since Santo moved though.

Check Northland newsagency, they usually have the preview mags.

I think my local in Coburg usually geta them also.Usually out in late July (I used to work in distribution of media, specifically magazines), it may have changed, but I doubt it.

found this docco the other day, it's got it all, grainy footage of old time football, the classic narration of ?? - no idea but his voice seems so familiar and a quality soundtrack:

History of Pro Football [HBO Sports 1983]

One for Bills fans:

or maybe not....

edit: whoever has uploaded this has messed up the aspect ratio or something, but still watchable.

Watching the new film "Concussion" tonight... interesting viewing, a real eye-opener into the world of football related head trauma.

Suffered from concussion once in my short time playing the game we love, an would not trade places with anyone who's suffered multiple concussions and is dealing with the long term effects from it. Glad that the game is taking it seriously now (same goes for AFL).

IMDB link

I watched the Elway to Marino 30 for 30 last night which is a superb doco. Not knowing much about the goings on back then these were my takeaways;

1) Elway is a bloody crybaby scumbag holding the Colts to ransom
2) Colts screwed up not taking an earlier/better trade - Irsay should've told the GM we're trading him if you draft him anyway
3) Rozelle was every bit as corrupt as other league/sport commissioners especially regarding the scuppering of the Bears/Raiders trade
4) Jets clearly ****ed up not taking Marino
5) Raiders clearly ****ed up not taking Marino

The 30 for 30 series is brilliant which you all know already - next on the list is the recent one about the Bills 4 in a row Superbowl losses

I watched the Elway to Marino 30 for 30 last night which is a superb doco. Not knowing much about the goings on back then these were my takeaways;

1) Elway is a bloody crybaby scumbag holding the Colts to ransom
2) Colts screwed up not taking an earlier/better trade - Irsay should've told the GM we're trading him if you draft him anyway
3) Rozelle was every bit as corrupt as other league/sport commissioners especially regarding the scuppering of the Bears/Raiders trade
4) Jets clearly stuffed up not taking Marino
5) Raiders clearly stuffed up not taking Marino

The 30 for 30 series is brilliant which you all know already - next on the list is the recent one about the Bills 4 in a row Superbowl losses
True on every count.
I was shocked why Davis never took Marino considering Davis always thought of him as a rare type who would be an all-time great from the get-go.

Didnt know where else to post this.
A few years ago, NFL owners made the decision to enact a rule that would allow them to choose a team to appear on HBO’s successful “Hard Knocks“, in the event that a team doesn’t volunteer by the time training camp rolls around.

The league determined that there are a few circumstances that can prevent teams for appearing on “Hard Knocks” such as:

• Hired a new head coach
  • Made the playoffs at least once in the past two seasons
  • Appeared on the show in past 10 years.
After eliminating the teams that fall into these categories, we are left with eight teams: the Buccaneers, Bills, Jaguars, Raiders, Chargers, Bears, Saints and Rams.
I think whoever ends up in LA would be the easy pick for HBO/NFL owners. give the team more exposure in true LA style.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back